• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

It took over a Month

It took me over a month of practicing at least an hour a day and sometimes longer to "Finally" get where I can do the 4-way OIE without a triplet rebound between sides 98% of the time when I first walk up to the bag and try it. I'm not posting this to brag as most here can already do it anyway, but only to show that what sometimes feels impossible becomes possible if you don't quit. I'll be 63 in just a few months and this has been a great way to keep the body and mind in action. I would "Never' have been able to do this without the help of this forum. My thanks to all veteran baggers here who continue to help people like me who want to improve on their speedbagging skills.

fedora
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Stories like this are great encouragement, which is what this forum excels at !

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
      It took me over a month of practicing at least an hour a day and sometimes longer to "Finally" get where I can do the 4-way OIE without a triplet rebound between sides 98% of the time when I first walk up to the bag and try it. I'm not posting this to brag as most here can already do it anyway, but only to show that what sometimes feels impossible becomes possible if you don't quit. I'll be 63 in just a few months and this has been a great way to keep the body and mind in action. I would "Never' have been able to do this without the help of this forum. My thanks to all veteran baggers here who continue to help people like me who want to improve on their speedbagging skills.

fedora
      Great to hear! glad you finally got that. It's on my bucket list also, still waiting to be check off.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Great to hear! glad you finally got that. It's on my bucket list also, still waiting to be check off.
        Me too... I get so frustrated I just have to walk away for awhile, but since I'm ONLY 51, I guess I have a good 10 years to get this one down!
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• ghodge
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2013

The amazing thing about watching Jake's video is the apparent effortless elbow, fist, fist, elbow precision strikes. Besides just missing I find myself catching wrists and forearms on the rebounds. The good news is all my practice on the 4-way has really helped my triplets.

Comment

• fedora
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2012

I wish I could have counted the number of miss hits I racked up trying to get this down, it would have been in the 10s of 1000's I'm sure. I knew if I could hit it on occasion that given enough time my brain would finally lock in the right arm position and body movements. Watching Tim's video on the phantom punch followed by a 4 way gave me the idea of doing it side to side with the 4 way with out the triplet rebound. (By the way what is Bible speak for the 4 way with the triplet rebound anyway?) Getting this move down has really opened up the door for some other nice combo's. I was starting to wonder if it was worth all the time spent working on it but now that I've started to implement it into other moves I'm glad I stuck with it.

fedora
            Last edited by fedora; 06-08-2013, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I wish I could have counted the number of miss hits I racked up trying to get this down, it would have been in the 10s of 1000's I'm sure. I knew if I could hit it on occasion that given enough time my brain would finally lock in the right arm position and body movements. Watching Tim's video on the phantom punch followed by a 4 way gave me the idea of doing it side to side with the 4 way with out the triplet rebound. ( By the way what is Bible speak for the 4 way with the triplet rebound anyway?) Getting this move down has really opened up the door for some other nice combo's. I was starting to wonder if it was worth all the time spent working on it but now that I've started to implement it into other moves I'm glad I stuck with it.

fedora
              I'm not sure of your question exactly, because the "four way techniques" are created by joining the two fists and two elbows together, in various orders, with one rebound inbetween the parts. The Speed Bag Bible describes doing this with the Out-&-In 4way" (O-I 4way), as you've been practicing, and the Out-&-Down 4way" (O-D 4way). These can create combinations with other techniques after 1,2 or 3 rebounds. The key difference is, once a fist or elbow is used in the technique, that part cannot be used again in the same technique. So a 4way followed by something after three rebounds would be calle a "four way elbow combination with ......(next technique).

That is why using a "Right Front Straight Punch" (FSP) as a phantom punch under the outward double elbow strike cannot be added on after the double elbow and be called a "four way", for that right fist already hit the bag in the movement as the FSP under the left arm. You can't use a right FSP twice in the same technique. At some point, it becomes a combination after is was used once in the movement.

the only time the same fist(s) can be repeated in a technique is Fist Rolling.

by the way, there are also two four way techniques possible that are NOT included in the Speed Bag Bible: Joining Two Downward Double Elbow strikes (D-DES) with one rebound inbetween will create the "Down-&-Down 4way elbow strike - (D-D 4way), and the most difficult is joining two Outward Double Elbow strikes (O-DES) together with only one rebound inbetween could create the "Out-&-Out 4way elbow strike" or (O-O 4way). Very good luck with that one...

I've only seen one speed bagger do that last one successfully, with any regularity, and it's certainly not me. My arms and elbows clank together in the middle of it
              Last edited by Speedbag; 06-09-2013, 06:44 PM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2012

Thanks for those clarifications. In looking at my post I didn't realize I said "with the triplet rebound" I meant to say "without" the triplet rebound. Those other ways of doing a 4-way sound incredible. I'm thinking a person would have to have a small head and skinny fast moving arms to pull those off.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks for those clarifications. In looking at my post I didn't realize I said "with the triplet rebound" I meant to say "without" the triplet rebound. Those other ways of doing a 4-way sound incredible. I'm thinking a person would have to have a small head and skinny fast moving arms to pull those off.

fedora
                  Ha! Skunk will get a kick out of that one.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Arnetask
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2013

Agree with you

Really wonderful support you got from the forum members.

Comment

• fedora
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      Ha! Skunk will get a kick out of that one.
                      My humble apologies to the Skunk. But then he does have thin fast moving arms. Head looks normal sized though so I guess that theory goes out the window.

Those other 4ways you mentioned do seem impossible by all but the most gifted of baggers. The only variation I could pull off was a Double Down elbow followed by a double inside elbow. I couldn't do it the other way around. Trying to get the double down after the double inside was just too awkward for me.

fedora

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...