X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homer
    • May 2013

Question about swivels

I'm not sure how to word this question, but I'll give it a shot.

Do the S hook type swivels give any advantage, as far as not having to make the bag/swivel face a certain way before punching it? It appears sometimes in the many vids out there that people can just hit the bag however it stops, without making it face a certain direction using an S hook type swivel. I could be wrong, but just curious.

I have an "Everlast Professional Speed Bag Swivel" I bought from the amazon. It has an "easy lock" swivel getup. Any info/suggestions on how to make this work better much appreciated. I'm even open to duct tape ideas.
    Last edited by Homer; 05-30-2013, 07:44 PM.
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

The ball and S-hook swivels will swing in any direction with ease. The U-bolt which I think you have will not. Which makes for doing the more complicated techniques a bit more difficult. If you are only interested in just a workout of hitting the bag front to back the U-bolt will serve you well. Some here have still learned to do some pretty interesting combos with the U-bolt, but I think they still struggle with some moves which are easier to do with a Ball and S-hook.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Homer View Post
      I'm not sure how to word this question, but I'll give it a shot.

Do the S hook type swivels give any advantage, as far as not having to make the bag/swivel face a certain way before punching it? It appears sometimes in the many vids out there that people can just hit the bag however it stops, without making it face a certain direction using an S hook type swivel. I could be wrong, but just curious.

I have an "Everlast Professional Speed Bag Swivel" I bought from the amazon. It has an "easy lock" swivel getup. Any info/suggestions on how to make this work better much appreciated. I'm even open to duct tape ideas.
      Yes. As Fedora points out, the U-bolts, and chainlinks for that matter are very fast swivels but by nature of their design tend to be "better" when the swivel is facing in a certain position. I find the "U" bolt works best when the open "U" is directly facing the direction of the next punch. If the next punch comes from the side, or any area for that matter, where the metal bar is directly facing the punch, the bag may have a tendency to slide down or float up and off the bar for just a moment, which may effect bag speed and rebound angle. It doesn't happen all the time or on every complicated combination, but it happens enough to those of use who punch from all around to prefer the ball hook. At least that is my opinion.

I have found that every swivel style has it's own "personality", and the mechanics of them are discussed here on this swivel page.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        you should just get yourself a ball and S-hook swivel...
        +10!

I started with a U-Bolt swivel....got the S-Hook after a month and haven't looked back since!
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Homer
          • May 2013

Thank you all for the help!
          I am going to set up a paypal account and order a ball/s hook swivel within the next 24 hours or so. I'll still work out using the u bolt setup until I get the other, but I'm hyped. I'm finding myself telling everybody how fun it is, how good you feel working out on the speed bag. They can't hardly get me to shut up about it. I mean, I do give them a break, but have to force myself to contain my enthusiasm. And now that I realize I don't have the same swivel setup as many others, I realize how much more I've been missing. Yeah, I'm hyped.

Comment

• Homer
            • May 2013

I only had one in mind, but what do you suggest? I appreciate any help. I'm really not sure about the average prices for them either.

Comment

• doss darwin
              • Dec 2012

swivel

get the deville #13--dd
              the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

Comment

• Homer
                • May 2013

Done.....ordered it today! I'm so excited....and i just can't hide it....

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

It's on its way!

Hey there, Homer! Welcome aboard fellow addict! I dropped the swivel in the morning mail and it should arrive by Tuesday.

Since you are a Newbie, let me warn you about ball-hook swivels. They aren't as forgiving as a U-bolt swivel. They take a little getting used to because of the full unrestricted movement of the bag. But, once you get the hang of it, I doubt you will ever go back to a U-bolt or chain-link.
                  sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                  I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Homer
                    • May 2013

Thank you, Dee! Yeah, I've got some work to do on my setup to reduce vibration(adding to platform, using bolts instead of screws,etc). I might make another setup or maybe even a multiple platorms/swivels before it's over, for family and friends. Who know?!! My mind seems to be constantly thinking of things I could do. I'm just slowly taking steps so I don't get too far ahead of myself.

I'll definitely take my time and be patient with the ball swivel. I've watched some youtube videos of people making the switch from ubolt to ball hook. lol....i've also seen the vids of Tim's and maybe another where they were wearing out the bag on a ubolt setup. Either way, it'll be a fun journey!!

--Homer

Comment

• Homer
                      • May 2013

I have an everlast adjustable platform. The only problem I think I'll run into is if I add plywood(on top what's already there) to the drum,...it will lower it to whatever width of plywood I choose, and the belly of the bag will be lower than my mouth. I might have to adjust the height again slightly, because right now I have the whole thing fixed to where I can hit the bag at it's highest setting, so my nephew is able to hit it when it's lowered. It's still fun figuring all this out...challenging and gets the brain going some. I plan on using bolts instead of screws, and seeing how it hits.

I love the idea of being able to make a platform/drum piece. I found a thread or two about it already on here...I love this place!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I have an everlast adjustable platform. The only problem I think I'll run into is if I add plywood(on top what's already there) to the drum,...it will lower it to whatever width of plywood I choose, and the belly of the bag will be lower than my mouth. I might have to adjust the height again slightly, because right now I have the whole thing fixed to where I can hit the bag at it's highest setting, so my nephew is able to hit it when it's lowered. It's still fun figuring all this out...challenging and gets the brain going some. I plan on using bolts instead of screws, and seeing how it hits.

I love the idea of being able to make a platform/drum piece. I found a thread or two about it already on here...I love this place!!
                        If you have a board that is difficult to adjust up and down, I would suggest setting it on the "high side", meaning set it up as high as you need for the Largest bag you use. (Largest bags are either for power punching, or for beginners who need a slower bag).
                        I'll use an 11x8 or 12x10 in this example.

As you move to smaller, faster bags, of course the belly will be just a bit higher, so you would need to either (1) lower the board slightly, or (2) raise yourself, with some type of floor platform. If option "1", lowering (raising the board) is a pain or not possible, than use option 2, raising yourself up. I often found this to be the easiest and fastest way.

On my old, original set up, where I filmed my training videos , you will see an 11x8 bag in this picture. The belly was set at the height allowing me to stand on the floor. when I used smaller bags, 9x6, then 8x5, or 7x4) I had a few pieces of 4x4 plywood in the room to make small platforms to stand on. It was much easier to raise myself up quickly like that than to get wrenches and pliers to loosen and lower the bolts required to adjust the board.

That also was the best option for my wife, when she used it. For her I had a fitness " adjustable step" Which works fine for basic punching.

I also created a platform to use this setup for punching while sitting in a wheelchair, shown here . (scroll down to pic) and here in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVlnu0L7AhU

To do this, I made a platform by stacking cases of books. I made 5 "pillars", (one for each corner, one in the middle) by stacking two cases on top of each other. Each case had 18 books, so it was 36 books high, but who's counting. Then I set the wooden plywood over the top, put a wheelchair on it, got into the chair and the result is this picture. I left this setup as shown for about a month, taking a bunch of pictures, shooting video of punching, making promo's for various purposes, and the opening for my video "Rhythm and Rehab". This was a great experience, and taught me a valuable lesson. Always be sure to set the brakes of the chair before punching.

Anyway, IMO it's often easier to raise yourself up to make a bag adjustment than lower the board down.
                        Last edited by Speedbag; 06-02-2013, 02:49 PM.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Homer
                          • May 2013

Thanks man. I really like that idea. I think I will go for that instead of adjusting the height. It actually is a pain.

I can see what the offset measurement is from my mouth to the belly of each smaller bag maybe. Then figure out the thickness or height of each "step" for each bag, using the offset measurement. I just hope no one sees me measuring, so I don't have to explain...even though it would be entertaining to me.

I'm guessing though, if it's 1/2 inch or so up/down from my mouth(belly of bag), it won't hurt too much??

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks man. I really like that idea. I think I will go for that instead of adjusting the height. It actually is a pain.

I can see what the offset measurement is from my mouth to the belly of each smaller bag maybe. Then figure out the thickness or height of each "step" for each bag, using the offset measurement. I just hope no one sees me measuring, so I don't have to explain...even though it would be entertaining to me.

I'm guessing though, if it's 1/2 inch or so up/down from my mouth(belly of bag), it won't hurt too much??
                            It is hard to be exact when comparing bag belly locations on bags of different sizes, for the "belly" of any bag depends on it's shape as much as it's size. And not all bags of the same size are create equal (see pic below).

the belly of more teardrop shape bags will be closer to the bottom, for teardrop shaped bags tend to be a bit fatter per size than the more longer, leaner "banana" bags. the longer leaner bags tend to have the "belly" or fatest part more toward the center of the bag because they have a longer flare to bottom. You also need to remember that all bags sizes are not created equal, and you will find 8x5 classic by title is actually quite a bit smaller than the 8x5 Balazs Lazer, yet both are sized "8x5" and the belly of each in relation to the last bag you were hitting will a different distance.

And remember, the exact location of "the belly" is not that precise. "..About mouth level" really means from about chin to the the top of your nose. In a few months you will find what area of adjustment is "about right" for the bags you like to hit.

and, of course, the swivel you use could also affect the height adjustment, for longer swivels will put the belly of the bag lower than shorter arc swivels. guess what....not all swivels are created equal either.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Speedbag; 06-02-2013, 05:12 PM.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...