• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vandwedge
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2013

rubbery speed bags

I've tried a few different speed bags, and I'm realizing that I don't like ones made out of leather. The ones made out of synthetic rubbery materials seem to bounce faster. Are there any bags of that sort people want to recommend?

The only one I've found so far was a cheap Everlast one, which, although a fast rebounder, tore a leak after two months (they're notorious for that).
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

The Leone bag is leather but bounces like crazy. Think you'd like that one.

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by vandwedge View Post
      I've tried a few different speed bags, and I'm realizing that I don't like ones made out of leather. The ones made out of synthetic rubbery materials seem to bounce faster. Are there any bags of that sort people want to recommend?

The only one I've found so far was a cheap Everlast one, which, although a fast rebounder, tore a leak after two months (they're notorious for that).
      Take the bladder out of a speed bag you don't use much, or at all. I prefer 6x9 bladders, they seem to be the prefect size.

Make a SHORT DUCT TAPE LOOP, at least 8 to 12 layers thick, I put 1 layer on at a time, each layer of the loop being reinforced by laying more tape across the base where it attaches to the bladder. (with the first layer of tape make sure you cover the sticky part of the tape, on the inside of the loop where your S-hook will make contact, with a layer or 2 of tape smooth side out), and you'll have the most bouncy "bag" you'll ever hit.

Last edited by ebozyn; 05-27-2013, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• cmedinas88
        • Jan 2013

Leone is quick

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
          Take the bladder out of a speed bag you don't use much, or at all. I prefer 6x9 bladders, they seem to be the prefect size.

Make a SHORT DUCT TAPE LOOP, at least 8 to 12 layers thick, I put 1 layer on at a time, each layer of the loop being reinforced by laying more tape across the base where it attaches to the bladder. (with the first layer of tape make sure you cover the sticky part of the tape, on the inside of the loop where your S-hook will make contact, with a layer or 2 of tape smooth side out), and you'll have the most bouncy "bag" you'll ever hit.

After reading this I had to go and try it. I had a bunch of bladders that I had changed out so I did a couple. The 6x9 was a good size just like you said. It was very interesting using it. It would definitely be great for someone who has sore hands as it felt very light and wouldn't hurt even if you had a open cut. I worked it for an hour and then put my 9x6 Leone back on and it felt heavy and slow. It definitely is a different workout. I like it.

fedora

Comment

• newbagger
            • May 2010

Bladder Bag

ebozyn, I have a question for you (and anyone else): my son and I attached a platform to the joists in the basement of his 1930's house. When we hit the leather bag, it shakes the whole house up above. Do you think a bladder bag would greatly reduce this problem, because of the much lighter weight of the bladder bag? Thanks for you thoughts and input on this.

Comment

• ebozyn
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by newbagger View Post
              ebozyn, I have a question for you (and anyone else): my son and I attached a platform to the joists in the basement of his 1930's house. When we hit the leather bag, it shakes the whole house up above. Do you think a bladder bag would greatly reduce this problem, because of the much lighter weight of the bladder bag? Thanks for you thoughts and input on this.

Without a doubt. Because of the light weight of the bladder bag, it causes almost no impact, or vibration at all when it hits the board. The BB does require a light touch because of the lack of any real weight. It takes a little getting used to. But it is really a lot of fun, and cheap.

Another thing you may want to consider doing to lower the vibration to the floor joists is to put some sort of foam rubber in between the speed bag drum, and or the braces that you have screwed to the floor joists ( i used some foam strips from a window insulation kit. If i were doing it all over i may try something a little more dense like plumbing pipe insulation foam rubber tubing.) I did this when building my drum unit, and it seems to have cut the vibration down quite a bit. Of course some noise can still be heard upstairs when i'm baggin' but i don't get anyone yelling at me to keep the noise down.

Comment

• fedora
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2012

I can testify that the bladder won't shake anything. It is super light with a nice bounce. Also you didn't say what leather bag and size you are using. A lighter bag may also reduce the vibs. A leone bag is pretty light and may help. The only draw back I have experienced with the bladder bag is that if you hit on it for a length of time, it will also take some time to get used to a regular bag again. Your brain has to recalibrate the force and timing each time you switch bag weights and sizes. And with the bladder bag the difference is huge. But within 10 minutes or so you are usually readjusted again.

fedora

Comment

• doss darwin
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
                  Without a doubt. Because of the light weight of the bladder bag, it causes almost no impact, or vibration at all when it hits the board. The BB does require a light touch because of the lack of any real weight. It takes a little getting used to. But it is really a lot of fun, and cheap.

Another thing you may want to consider doing to lower the vibration to the floor joists is to put some sort of foam rubber in between the speed bag drum, and or the braces that you have screwed to the floor joists I did this when building my drum unit, and it seems to have cut the vibration down quite a bit. Of course some noise can still be heard upstairs when i'm baggin' but i don't get anyone yelling at me to keep the noise down.

you could make the music louder or sing along at a high pitch--another way would be to some how introduce cymbals into your routine and don't forget a rebel yell every so often--if these don't work I can try to think of others but this should get you started--grins dd
                  the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

Comment

• newbagger
                    • May 2010

Thanks for your reply, ebozyn. Those are great ideas.

Comment

• newbagger
                      • May 2010

Bladder

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                      ...i have two of those black bladders, one came out of my 6x9 fighting sports and the other came out of a title gold 5x8 bag. if you want them, i could mail them to you...ralph
                      ventanakaz, a belated thank you to you for offering me your black bladders. I have a couple of misshapen bags I will pull the bladders out of and give them a try. If that doesn't work out, I'll PM you to see if you still have the black 6x9 bladder (and of course reimburse you the shipping). Thanks again.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...