Vibration Free Platform, Modified Primefighter 400, with 6 inch Boos Butcher Block.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bag-A-Holic
    • Apr 2011

Vibration Free Platform, Modified Primefighter 400, with 6 inch Boos Butcher Block.

Started this vibration free platform project over the winter. Took time for everything to arrive, and also got tied up with school, but never the less, I finally finished it up and wanted to share.

In addition to using a 90 lb, 24x24x6 butcher block, I glued a 40 lb 1/4 inch steel plate to the butcher block to give it the extra weight needed to reduce/resist the vibration, and to also assure it had that "Sweet Spot" all over.

From experimenting with a standard everlast, adding weight on top, it seemed that the minimum weight needed to make a platform vibration free was 100 lbs. This was of course in addition to it already being attached to a strong supporting structure.

The stock PF 400 came with only (2) 1.25 inch support angles. This, I didnt think would be enough to support the Butcher Block and steel plate (130lbs), so I went to a metal shop and had (2) additional angle supports made, but made them 1.5 inches instead, and attached them to the two outside vertical bars of the cage.

To my suprise, there still was a minimum amount of vibration. It seemed the source was the two white round vertical supports that the cage slides on. They are 4 feet long and only supported at the very top and bottom. To rectify this, I added another horizontal support bar right in the middle. Securing it on both sides. One side had a 1.5 steel plate with 1/4 bolts going through to a 2x4 with t-nuts on the back. This got rid of that slight vibration, and also left no restrictions on the movement of the cage up and down.

Also on the stock platform it has a huge space between the back of the platform and the cage(see pic). I did not find this to be ideal to resist vibration. When I modified it, I only left a 1 inch space. An example of how the spacing effects the vibration factor, is if you take two decent size dumbells and hold your arms all the way out, your arms will start to shake, but if you pull your arms in close to your chest, you will have much better support.

Below are some before and after pics.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 05-24-2013, 11:29 AM.
    -Anthony
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Envy.

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

I think I'd be afraid to stand under that puppy...squish you like a bug! Now all you have to worry about is if the wall can hold it up.

Really nice job getting all this together...and look at all those bags....NICE!
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• doss darwin
        • Dec 2012

nice

a lot of time and talent on exhibit there--dd
        the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

Comment

• Marlon
          • Apr 2013

"Overkill is Underrated" - Col. John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

• PunchDrummer
            • Jan 2012

Tim the Tool Man "Arrrgh Arrrgh Arrrgh"-worthy. Nice setup!
            I wish you nothing but smiles underneath!

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bag-A-Holic View Post
              Started this vibration free platform project over the winter. Took time for everything to arrive, and also got tied up with school, but never the less, I finally finished it up and wanted to share.

In addition to using a 90 lb, 24x24x6 butcher block, I glued a 40 lb 1/4 inch steel plate to the butcher block to give it the extra weight needed to reduce/resist the vibration, and to also assure it had that "Sweet Spot" all over.

From experimenting with a standard everlast, adding weight on top, it seemed that the minimum weight needed to make a platform vibration free was 100 lbs. This was of course in addition to it already being attached to a strong supporting structure.

The stock PF 400 came with only (2) 1.25 inch support angles. This, I didnt think would be enough to support the Butcher Block and steel plate (130lbs), so I went to a metal shop and had (2) additional angle supports made, but made them 1.5 inches instead, and attached them to the two outside vertical bars of the cage.

To my suprise, there still was a minimum amount of vibration. It seemed the source was the two white round vertical supports that the cage slides on. They are 4 feet long and only supported at the very top and bottom. To rectify this, I added another horizontal support bar right in the middle. Securing it on both sides. One side had a 1.5 steel plate with 1/4 bolts going through to a 2x4 with t-nuts on the back. This got rid of that slight vibration, and also left no restrictions on the movement of the cage up and down.

Also on the stock platform it has a huge space between the back of the platform and the cage(see pic). I did not find this to be ideal to resist vibration. When I modified it, I only left a 1 inch space. An example of how the spacing effects the vibration factor, is if you take two decent size dumbells and hold your arms all the way out, your arms will start to shake, but if you pull your arms in close to your chest, you will have much better support.

Below are some before and after pics.

Randy Ray, creator of the Primefighter 400 would love to see these pictures. Unreal workmanship. Great Job. I would say "...as long as it hits solid", but I think you've pretty much got that covered.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Wow, another great example of creative workmanship.

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

Wait...isn't that the same thing they attached to Jimmy Hoffa's feet before throwing him in the cement?

Comment

• Homer
                    • May 2013

I'm glad I joined, i get to marvel at all this stuff!!

Comment

• doss darwin
                      • Dec 2012

hoffa

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                      Wait...isn't that the same thing they attached to Jimmy Hoffa's feet before throwing him in the cement?

one would think wood floats but there is enough iron on it to sink a bass boat so that is entirely possible--dd

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by doss darwin View Post
                        one would think wood floats but there is enough iron on it to sink a bass boat so that is entirely possible--dd
                        ...I don't think anything floats in cement....it's kind of like quicksand.

Comment

• doss darwin
                          • Dec 2012

slump

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                          ...I don't think anything floats in cement....it's kind of like quicksand.
                          depends on the slump --dd

Comment

• Zaza
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by doss darwin View Post
                            depends on the slump --dd
                            That's easy for you to say.

Disclaimer: I have no personal knowledge of any bodies in or around cement, slump levels
                            or the rate of sinkage when someone might accidentally trip and fall into freshly poured cement.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...