• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

In the Zone- Out of the Zone

Friday night I was continuing my practice on the 4 way IO elbow with a single rebound and I couldn't miss. I put up my 8x5 Lazer and nailed it, tried my 8x5 Leone, again nailed it. I tried every bag from XXs to large, fast bags slow bags, light bags, heavy bags and I was getting it 9 times out of 10 on every bag I had. I'm thinking that I finally got this down. Yesterday I went out and I had trouble hitting it 1 time out of 10. Today I'm 50/50, better than yesterday but still not like friday. I'm curious if others here go through the same thing. This technique is super frustrating for me to get consistently.

fedora
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by fedora View Post
    Friday night I was continuing my practice on the 4 way IO elbow with a single rebound and I couldn't miss. I put up my 8x5 Lazer and nailed it, tried my 8x5 Leone, again nailed it. I tried every bag from XXs to large, fast bags slow bags, light bags, heavy bags and I was getting it 9 times out of 10 on every bag I had. I'm thinking that I finally got this down. Yesterday I went out and I had trouble hitting it 1 time out of 10. Today I'm 50/50, better than yesterday but still not like friday. I'm curious if others here go through the same thing. This technique is super frustrating for me to get consistently.

fedora
    Yes, this happens to me when I have been off the bag for a few days. Or, simply my mood.

For you, maybe it was because you weren't wearing your Lucky Fedora yesterday… http://chaosfive55.deviantart.com/ar...-Hat-219952722
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

Hmmm, come to think of it I did change hats yesterday. Maybe that was it!!!! Now I just have to remember what fedora I had on friday night. When you have 50 of them it's hard to keep track.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

fedora
        Hey Fedora,

Welcome to the real world of speed bagging. Today you have it, tomorrow you don't. That happens all the time, especially with new techniques or combinations, but sometimes it's just not your day for anything, and that "zone" keeps moving to somewhere you're not. The cause of it can be puzzling and there is plenty of blame to go around.

For me, if it only happens on one particular bag, I blame it on that bag and let a bit of air out of it. taking a bit of the wind out of it's sails sometimes make them act more respectfully.

If it happens on all bags, I'd blame it on the swivel. But my swivels just stare back and blame it on the board, which swears it's just hanging around and has nothing to do with it.

It could also be an issue with what you are doing at the time. When this happens to me when I'm punch drumming, I blame it on the boogie, and if it's stormy outside I blame it on the rain, (but now I blame it on Milli Vanilli because they didn't really sing that song)

when all else fails, I just figure It's my bad, and maybe I didn't have it as much as I thought. Still happens to me 40 years later. Sometimes I can link and sometimes I can't. With some of these new baggers throwing out more and more complex combinations, double bumps, bag spins, phantom punches and reverse directions....ahh! I wonder if I'll ever be able to hit again for a minute without missing.

But isn't that why we love it.

(But MsDeville probably right. In your case, it's probably the hat.)
        Last edited by Speedbag; 05-12-2013, 02:36 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Marlon
          • Apr 2013

Hmmm, come to think of it I did change hats yesterday. Maybe that was it!!!! Now I just have to remember what fedora I had on friday night. When you have 50 of them it's hard to keep track.

fedora
          50 ?!? Imelda Marcos has nothing on you, sir!

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

I'm out of the zone the minute the camera comes on!
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
              That is often the cause for many people, blaming the camera is just as good as any other reason your "zone" got "zoned out". Best cure is to just leave it on and learn to see it as another person who loves you and will keep your secrets - while letting you review them later. After a while, it's just there and you will pay it no mind.

"no mind". that's a martial arts thing too.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                Which is the reason that the likelyhood of a video of me is next to nil.

Comment

• fedora
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2012

Well, I feel much better now that I know others go through the same thing. Funny how it works, I've still been struggling with it today, going 50/50 on my hits, so I took Speedbag's advice and changed the swivel and the bag and guess what? It didn't help one bit. So I thought, I'm struggling trying to get my sync back into place going moderate speed so I'm just going to kick it up a few miles per hour. I'm thinking what have I got to loose. And then "Pop" I'm back kicking it again, how does that work?? Seriously, I start hitting it faster and I'm nailing it again. This sport is driving me crazy. But I'm loving every minute of it.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Well, I feel much better now that I know others go through the same thing. Funny how it works, I've still been struggling with it today, going 50/50 on my hits, so I took Speedbag's advice and changed the swivel and the bag and guess what? It didn't help one bit. So I thought, I'm struggling trying to get my sync back into place going moderate speed so I'm just going to kick it up a few miles per hour. I'm thinking what have I got to loose. And then "Pop" I'm back kicking it again, how does that work?? Seriously, I start hitting it faster and I'm nailing it again. This sport is driving me crazy. But I'm loving every minute of it.

fedora
                    How does that work? You changed something most likely. Probably quit thinking about it so hard. Ever notice that sometimes when your mind is elsewhere and you are not concentrating on your specific movements, they just seem to happen. You get frustrated, you change speeds and start ripping faster and and quit thinking about the mechanics of hitting and suddenly there it is.... sitting quietly on your shoulder. Same things works with speed. It seems harder to "go fast" when you are trying to, then, suddenly your not paying attention to speed, and ....you're going fast.

Don't worry. It could all be gone tomorrow. Again.

But little by little, it's all becoming automatic.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      Don't worry. It could all be gone tomorrow. Again.

But little by little, it's all becoming automatic.
                      I was back in my groove on this today and as you say Alan it may be gone again tomorrow, but the good news is I'm pretty sure I figured out what I was doing and then wasn't doing and now am doing again.

I don't know if this is how it's supposed to be done but for me the key was turning my body slightly with the inside elbow. For some reason I started to freeze up on my body movement and was just bringing my elbow across without slightly twisting my body into it. This was causing me to hit up on my forearm more and not at the end of my elbow. After I got going on it again I wondered if that was the problem so I tried to do it without turning my body into it and I started miss hitting again. As soon as I loosened up and started going with the inside elbow with my body I was nailing it again. I think that's why when I started going fast I was hitting it again. Speeding up naturally caused me to twist slightly into the inside elbow and there it was.

Don't know if this will help anyone else trying to get this but it helped me get back in the zone. At least for today. We'll see how I do tomorrow, hopefully it is starting to became "automatic". This has been the most complex technique I've tried to learn yet.

fedora
                      Last edited by fedora; 05-14-2013, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...