• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swfl
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2013

tingling shoulder blade

good evening. Been at it about 5 weeks now and have started working the back of the bag and the front fist roll is complete. What I notice is that extending my arms further, and longer periods of fist roll, my shoulder blade has become sore. tingling sensation. My question is... can this be pushed or is it something that should really be rested. At 50 injuries take much longer to heal. Two days off the bag and its torture. thank you
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by swfl View Post
    good evening. Been at it about 5 weeks now and have started working the back of the bag and the front fist roll is complete. What I notice is that extending my arms further, and longer periods of fist roll, my shoulder blade has become sore. tingling sensation. My question is... can this be pushed or is it something that should really be rested. At 50 injuries take much longer to heal. Two days off the bag and its torture. thank you
    At 51, I hear ya'!
    But...you're working a whole different set of muscles now. I had the same thing happen to me. I just took a little break and then eased back into it. Don't push too hard your body will catch-up.

If it persists, take the appropriate actions and see your doctor if need be.

I'm no doctor....and I don't play one on TV either!
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by swfl View Post
      Hi swfl.

Yep, I remember in my younger days it did take a bit longer for things to heal. I'm trying to remember when I was 50, it's been a while.

The simple answer is, "No, it should not be pushed, as in keep doing it while it still hurts. It's true that training with some soreness is necessary to a point, but knowing that moment when training pain becomes actual injury is tough to determine. Over doing it at any age is never a good choice and if you do it a lot when you are younger, (no pain, no gain mentality, overdone) you may live long enough to learn the folly of that statement.

But there is a larger issue to be considered (IMO ONLY...) that you might be more concerned about, because your choice of words and description is interesting, Particularly "shoulder blade" (singular) and "tingling", which is considered a different symptom than soreness, with some potentially different causes. Tingling and possibly numbness, along with burning sensations, are often more indicative or nerve issues over muscle and tendon tears.

Shoulder blades come in pairs, So if only ONE side is bothering you, then perhaps it is due to (1) what your doing with that side (arm), like working more reverse punching, which normally has one hunching the shoulders up a bit as you swing back toward yourself. That "hunch" involves flexing the muscles that lift that side scapula up, and also pull it back against your rib cage for stabilization when you extend your arms for reverse movements. Maybe you overdid that side during a workout?

If you are using both arms pretty much equally, same movements and force, then why is just one side sore and tingling? It would be more logical that both sides or the general area would hurt more than one specific side.

The other issue to consider really is the term and sensation "tingling", which normally comes with "burning" and pins and needles" Personally I would be more concerned with that depending on the intensity, severity and longevity of that. Only you can determine that, and you might ask your wife or a friend to touch around that area with your shirt off to see if that area also feels different to touch and pressure. You know that sensation when your leg or arm "goes to sleep" due to pressure on it, and tingles like crazy with a weird sensation to being touched shortly after? If it feels kind of like that, when it's tingling or shortly after you might want to get that checked out. Do the touch thing over both shoulder blades for comparison and if the involved side tingles and is a noticeably numb or feels different than the other, I would suggest having a doctor look at it. You might also notice if there are any other "tingling" or weird sensations going down that same side arm or in the wrist and hand.

sounds ominous, I know. Probably waaaaay overdone, but I have had a bit of experience with shoulder, neck and scapula problems and have sat through my share of physio-analysis, testing and rehab.

Of course in a day or two it might go away with a bit of rest and not come back. But if it persists, ie....keeps happening after punching the speed bag or other physical activities, it could be worth a look. I say that because the normal 50 year old spine, particular cervical (neck) can have some wear and degenerative changes, some of which could be causing your issues.

by the way...

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
      I'm no doctor....and I don't play one on TV either!
      Classic.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 05-09-2013, 01:41 AM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• looster
        • Jul 2012

a similar thing just happened to me 2 months ago, just getting over it now -
        1) DONT try to work thru it
        2) I have had shoulder problems before, so I went to the Doctor- I had ( and it sounds like you may have ) a PINCHED NERVE. They usually emanate from the neck, mine started them, went all of the way down my arm to the elbow. This requires physical therapy and some rest. 2 doctors told me that this can lead to deterioration of the muscles involved.
        Tingling, pins and needles, and just plain all kinds of pain- so please see a competent doctor and a good PTer. good luck.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...