• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ultram4
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2012

Silent/noiseless Swivels?

I know there is tons of experienced Speed baggers on this forum, so I thought to myself, why not ask these fine people which Swivel is the most silent or noiseless.

I'm looking for a swivel without or as little as possible, click, squeaks, rattle and so on...
    I only want the sound of the ball hitting the board

Any ideas on how I can solve this?

The old school "bladder on a shoelace" is not an option I'm afraid though.
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

We need to hear from the people that have used both the Deville and /or Powermill (or old school Everlast) swivels to weigh in on this. From what I've seen and heard from the videos I'd have to say the DeVille is the quietest. Metal on metal is going to give you some clicking and clacking. The Deville uses a machined nylon base. This is if you want to use the ball hook style swivel. U bar and roller chain link swivels are pretty quiet, but limit what you can do with the bag.

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

I have and use both of those swivels....although the Deville is quieter....neither is 'silent'.
      If you really only want the bag sound, the simple answer is an eye-bolt & cord!
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        We need to hear from the people that have used both the Deville and /or Powermill (or old school Everlast) swivels to weigh in on this. From what I've seen and heard from the videos I'd have to say the DeVille is the quietest. Metal on metal is going to give you some clicking and clacking. The Deville uses a machined nylon base. This is if you want to use the ball hook style swivel. U bar and roller chain link swivels are pretty quiet, but limit what you can do with the bag.
        Correct, the Deville is quieter than a powermill, however every swivel makes a bit of noise. You can't hear the noise of a Deville in the next room however. At least not in my house.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

First of all, welcome to the forum, Ultram4.

Another forum member, aad003, posted some videos where he used a strip of heavy-gauge leather instead of an S-hook.

This first video, in his garage, he's on his polyethylene drum and using a strip of leather that has holes punched at each end to slip onto his bag and then slipped onto the eye-screw of his metal swivel base. It looks like he expanded the eye-screw to allow room to slip on the leather strap. The leather strip is maybe 3 to 4 inches in length and probably an inch wide?

UHMW Polyethylene drum, 24" diameter x 1" thick. Driled to fit a Balazs platform. UHMW is super strong, weather and corrosion proof, got it cut to size fro...

In this video, he is punching on the poly platform outside and using a thick leather strap again as his "hook" and then at 1:30 minutes in, he is using an S-hook to attach the bag.

In both videos, you can still hear the click of the eye-bolt against the metal housing. There's just no getting away from that click. You can muffle it by taping it. But, it would seem that you would lose some of the velocity of the bag by doing this. Wouldn't the impact of the shank against the metal base be absorbed from having tape on the shank, thus slowing the velocity of the bag? Veteran baggers, am I over-thinking this?

The problem with taping the shaft is that it is constantly wearing down, and having to be replaced. I did this for my Powermill Evil Swivel, and it did muffle the noise of metal-against-metal, but, I would find it to be inconvenient because it needed replacing often.

Your bag of choice will also be a factor in how much noise is generated. The heavier bags might be a little noisier than say, a lightweight and bouncy Leone bag. You don't have to hit it has hard to make it move. And believe me, it moves fast once you get the hang of the bounciness of the bag. It helps to under-inflate it for better control.

Another noise factor of course, is the quality of your platform and how and where you install it. A bag of sand (taped up to eliminate leaks) will really help eliminate vibration AND noise when striking the bag.

As for the noise-level of the metal shaft against the Deville No.13 neoprene base, it tends to be quieter than the typical all-metal swivel base and metal eye-bolt.
          Attached Files
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Ultram4
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Nov 2012

Zaza: I really liked the sound on that video and that is what I'm after, but I am afraid I lack the skill to be using that.

MsDeville: Thank you for your welcome!

I've been looking on several of your swivels, I like the idea with a brass ball and polyethylene base. Your recessed or vintage style swivel seems to me to logically be the most silent swivel since the angle of the S-hook would be smaller when the bag hits the drum and rebounds, which should mean less energy hitting the base. The modification I've seen here on this forum with ball bearings on your swivels and the recessed swivel might be the best option for me...Do you ship over sea?

I live in Sweden and here we have a very limited number of swivels to choose from, so far Ive only seen the chain type, the plastic everlast type and a very noisy bearing with S-hook type.

I plan to build the platform/drum with a mix of solid wood and MDF to eliminate vibration transfer and use a steel frame for the wall mount.
            I live in house with very sonic concrete walls and my gym is located right over the neighbors bed room...and that's the main reason why I want everything to be as silent as it can be, the second reason is that I have an idea of how to make music bagging more musical then it already is and that's why I don't want anything but the bag hitting the drum.

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Ultram4 View Post
              I plan to build the platform/drum with a mix of solid wood and MDF to eliminate vibration transfer and use a steel frame for the wall mount.
              Let us know how well this platform design works out for you. Another member has a thread on the end grain butcher block drum he built out of Doug fir, his platform too was designed with vibration reduction in mind.

I wish you success with your platform design, as you will need to solve this part of the puzzle if you want to use a variety of bags. Typically there's more noise the bigger the bag and on a simple mdf drum the bag noise can be quite loud.

The Title Atomic Platinum bags are light weight and low noise, the smallest XXS is very quiet and so lightweight it takes time to get accustomed to hitting it -- but delivers the goods for quietness.

As for swivels, I've been playing with the rotating eyebolt idea, it is not perfectly silent like the fixed eyebolt is, but with the right low inertia bearing it is as omni-directional and easy to hit as a ball hook, but with much less noise.

Lastly, the noise of the ball hook has some advantages, it tattles on your mis-hits and this helps learning to hit cleanly. For ball hooks, I also like the DeVille, the material choice is a good one, and yes she ships to Sweden.

Comment

• fedora
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2012

Since I've gotten back into this I've purchased 9 different swivels and about 15 bags. I've cross mixed the swivel parts just to see how they would work and sound. The quietest one yet is the Deville because of the poly base. Coming in second was the plastic everlast base. I hated the plastic ball and put in an older everlast metal ball and hook and it too is much quieter than the metal on metal ball and hook swivels. I found it to be a faster swivel than the Deville because the base is thinner and with a shorter S-hook arrangement the swing time is reduced. Putting a lighter weight bag, the 8X5 Leone on the Deville made it the quietest setup. I have a very beefy platform with no vibration.

One other thing I noticed that made a quieter swivel was how big the opening of the eye and the S-hook are where they join together. I looked at the older metal Everlast hook and ball with the offset S-hook and noticed that there is very little space left over between the opening when the S hook is through the eye. This makes for less space for them to clunk together on a slight miss hit. It also keeps them from hanging up as much as well. The newer ones have larger openings and more space which makes for more noise. The Watkins all metal seems to have the most spacing.

Just a recommendation for the swivel makers, that if this space can be tightened up it will make for a quieter swivel operation plus lessen the learning curve for newbies as the hang ups on miss hits will be reduced. I've noticed some baggers will put tape around these areas to reduce the ability of the S hook to move into these spaces. I have done this as well and it does lead to more control.
                Also the distance from the ball to the top of the swivel base seemed to make a difference as well. I noticed that there is quite a variation in this distance between the swivels I have. The less distance also makes for a quieter performance, hence the ball bearings and washer on the top of a Deville makes it super quiet.

fedora

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...