X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbally
    • Jan 2013

It has Arrived!!

As an engineer I work with polymer once in a while. So I have order up this construction of polymer to fabricate my first 36 in round platform. The polymer has arrived today. So I will chuck it up and make it a disk in the next day or so.

As it progresses I will post a few more pics. At this time it weighs 175 pounds. 3.5 inches thick. Clear when polished!

This is a past polymer project that I was happy to be involved with....

This is what they look like after we installed them, if you visit the Palazzo in Vegas!

sgt
    USMC 79-85

Thanks to all who continue to serve... and to those that answered the call in the past!

• Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

^^^ been there...have seen those....NICE!
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• bbally
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
      ^^^ been there...have seen those....NICE!
      We cast them as rectangular blocks and then CNC'd them into the "ladies" I called them my muses the entire project.
      sgt
      USMC 79-85

Thanks to all who continue to serve... and to those that answered the call in the past!

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Too cool....can't wait to see the platform you make. I would kill for a plexiglass platform!
        (Just like the one Alan's mentor, Roy had)
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by bbally View Post
          We cast them as rectangular blocks and then CNC'd them into the "ladies" I called them my muses the entire project.
          Beautiful work there. But you left off the speed bag racks from them. Surely we could fix that and be Baggin' at the Palazzo.

I've always wanted to have a speed bag demo area in the Forum Shops of Caesars palace, maybe in the area of the moving statues.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Marlon
            • Apr 2013

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Might I suggest a different shape? A disk seems pretty common for such an original project. Octagon anyone?

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Wow, cool statues. Nice work, bbally! I found a place locally (Tacoma) that has some material (similar to the material that the Deville swivels are made from) and I have been considering experimenting with making a polymer drum. But, as you know, it's pretty pricey. Especially for something as thick as 3.5" thick!

I'm a fan of the octagon-shaped platform frame. But, if you go with the circle, here is my favorite 3-minute video for cutting a circle from a square by using just a table saw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_cg

(Yup, I really do have a favorite circle-making video, zaza. )

I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress, bb.
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Pulpo 1989
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Apr 2013

Mandatory intro post

Hi!!! Just doing a first post thanks!!

Comment

• bbally
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  But you left off the speed bag racks from them. Surely we could fix that and be Baggin' at the Palazzo.
                  I thought I put a pretty good rack on them

I will bid it in the next Vegas job.

Caesars was always my favorite and still is when I am down in Vegas.
                  sgt
                  USMC 79-85

Comment

• bbally
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Marlon View Post
                    Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Might I suggest a different shape? A disk seems pretty common for such an original project. Octagon anyone?

Great suggestion but it will be round. I have some ideas to make it different.
                    sgt
                    USMC 79-85

Comment

• bbally
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                      Wow, cool statues. Nice work, bbally! I found a place locally (Tacoma) that has some material (similar to the material that the Deville swivels are made from) and I have been considering experimenting with making a polymer drum. But, as you know, it's pretty pricey. Especially for something as thick as 3.5" thick!

(Yup, I really do have a favorite circle-making video, zaza. )
                      I think the polymer will return a lot more energy to the bag since its density is so high. Much like that concrete unit you made.

Favorite power tool video? You are one hot chick!
                      sgt
                      USMC 79-85

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by bbally View Post
                        I think the polymer will return a lot more energy to the bag since its density is so high. Much like that concrete unit you made.

Favorite power tool video? You are one hot chick!

I'm a lucky girl to have "Trainer Raul" to teach me parts of his trade. I've learned a lot over the years. And this cottage industry we have created with the manufacturing of hand-crafted swivels has been a lot of fun. I learned how to use a drill press. And I do the tap and die on the brass balls of the swivel! I feel pretty proud of myself over that, I must admit...

BTW, we have retired the concrete drum and have found another use for it for the time being. It's one SOLID drum!
                        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Marlon
                          • Apr 2013

Anti-Octagon

Just a thought. Then again, I'm not the one who will have to cut it out of a 200lb. block. Heck I'll be happy if I can manage to mount my new platform on my cinderblock wall in the basement. Not nearly as impressive as carving your own out of a block of plexi, but I'm no engineer either. (Dad IS, and I will be following his lead this weekend when the platform goes up.)

Good luck to both of us.
                          Last edited by Marlon; 04-18-2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• bbally
                            • Jan 2013

Just finished the circle cut. In the end I pussed out and used the CNC to cut the circle on the bed.

I think she is going to be a good speed bag system. It is 35.75 inches diameter. Now I start to polish it. And design the mount system for it.
                            sgt
                            USMC 79-85

Comment

• Marlon
                              • Apr 2013

Niiiiiice! It looks like a block of Ice!

As for your mount, I have seen an octaginal frame in a post by Ms. Deville and it looked pretty cool.

You might also consider a triangle bracket. It will look very slick from underneath.

And for something completely cool/rediculous - Ever though of burrying led lights into the plexi from up top? It would make the whole board "glow" from the inside.....Just a few thoughts from a guy with too much free time today who also has the luxury of just thinking up ideas that someone else (YOU) has to build.

Looking great so far though.
                              Last edited by Marlon; 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...