New member - Thanks for all the great INFO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cem326
    • Mar 2013

New member - Thanks for all the great INFO!

Been hitting the bag since I was a kid (boxing style) but never had seen or heard of “bible style” before! All I can say is WOW! It’s inspired me to throw out my old speed bag set up and upgrade to something nicer. Reading all the informative posts on this site lead me to buy the IBox platform which has been great. Now I’m in the process of customizing it to see how far I can take it. I will try and upload some pics when I get it complete. The one week link I’m left with, is literally my chain link swivel! Sounds like the Powermill evil swivel is the gold standard… Anyone willing to part with one or know how I can buy one?

Thanks again for all the info!
    Chad
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Contact Jumpcannon:

evilswivel@yahoo.com

...and Welcome to the forum!
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Cem326 View Post
      Been hitting the bag since I was a kid (boxing style) but never had seen or heard of “bible style” before! All I can say is WOW! It’s inspired me to throw out my old speed bag set up and upgrade to something nicer. Reading all the informative posts on this site lead me to buy the IBox platform which has been great. Now I’m in the process of customizing it to see how far I can take it. I will try and upload some pics when I get it complete. The one week link I’m left with, is literally my chain link swivel! Sounds like the Powermill evil swivel is the gold standard… Anyone willing to part with one or know how I can buy one?

Thanks again for all the info!
      Chad
      Hi Chad and welcome to the forum.

The Powermill evil swivel is a great ballhook swivel, as is the Deville Ballhook .

Both are custom made by forum members and surpass any other ballhook models I've seen.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jollygood49
        • Jan 2013

Welcome to the forum Chad! Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Comment

• Cem326
          • Mar 2013

Thanks guys, The Deville swivel looks interesting too. Looks like it might be made out of a block of Acetal? Acetal is slippery like teflon but is kind of brittle, anyone ever have one break?

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Have not had a Deville break. The Deville is not acetal. Have bagged with a swivel made from an acetal/stainless ball insert bearing, did not break it. But maybe that's just me.

Comment

• Cem326
              • Mar 2013

Acetal would probably make a good swivel base given its low friction. There would be no need to ever lubricate it.

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

The DeVille is made from one of the members of the Nylon family of materials

Comment

• doss darwin
                  • Dec 2012

lube

Acetal would probably make a good swivel base given its low friction. There would be no need to ever lubricate it.
                  not sure that one needs to lubricate the deville swivels--mine seems to be okay w/o--my experience is however, limited--dd
                  the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by doss darwin View Post
                    not sure that one needs to lubricate the deville swivels--mine seems to be okay w/o--my experience is however, limited--dd
                    Second that. The new model is very smooth on its own.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Cem326
                      • Mar 2013

Sorry, I meant there would be no reason to lubricate in comparison to metal.

Ordered my Deville swivel yesterday. Looking forward to receiving it and finishing my wood platform up. Then hopeful it won't take to long to knock the rust off... Its a few years since I've hit. Even then I was never close to where you guys have taking it! Will be fun to try though.

Comment

• paranday
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by doss darwin View Post
                        not sure that one needs to lubricate the deville swivels--mine seems to be okay w/o
                        This is great to know. I'll clean off all the lube and give mine a try dry.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Sorry, I meant there would be no reason to lubricate in comparison to metal.
                          Personally I would normally inspect the metal ball and housing flange occasionally
                          as dust and moisture over time tend to create a bit of gook on it. I'd clean that off and sometimes place a bit of light machine oil around the housing flange, which is where the ball rotates. placing a bit of oil on the flange is just the same as lubricating the ball itself. Most of the time I would do this only if the swivel was squeeking a bit. To me there is nothing more annoying than a squeeking swivel. If it wasn't squeeky I'd normally leave it alone.

Ordered my Deville swivel yesterday. Looking forward to receiving it and finishing my wood platform up. Then hopeful it won't take to long to knock the rust off... Its a few years since I've hit.
                          You will find the rust knocks off a speed bag pretty quickly and your past level of skill will appear pretty quick. The endurance part will take a bit longer if you haven't been doing repetitive punching.

Even then I was never close to where you guys have taking it! Will be fun to try though.
                          I suggest you first re-learn to walk, then run with what you knew already how to do, for that will come back pretty quick over a few workouts. When you start to learn new techniques and more complicated combinations, go back to walking speed. What the best here do is all about control. Speed shows up as it's little brother, tagging along behind. If a beginner is "trying to go fast" - they won't. I don't know your present skill level, but if you learn the simple basics of passing a single then double fists "through the bag" correctly you will be amazed at how fast you can progress. Believe it or not, there is a logical progression for advancement and with focused practice you will be amazed at how much you can do in a pretty short time. I've been seeing that happen for years. Learn the basics and the fancy stuff you see some of the forum members doing will be much easier.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Cem326
                            • Mar 2013

Thanks for the tips!

I believe I seen somewhere on the forum that you have a DVD available. Is that something you sale directly?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks for the tips!

I believe I seen somewhere on the forum that you have a DVD available. Is that something you sale directly?
                              Yes, and forum members get a discount.

Use the forum PM (personal message) for details or go to

( that contact page comes to me at my email address)
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...