• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • new2sb
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2011

Size and shape of the bag

The gym where I bag has a divel swivel with s-hook now so it is easy to change the bag. They also have a bin of bags. I was trying some of the other bags and I was bit surprised how poorly I was hitting. The usual bag hanging is a mustard colored title bag and it is nice to hit. I tried a Title bag that was red and blue and it flares more at the bottom like a bell and I couldn't hit this bag very well at all as it seemed to spin like a helicopter on me easily. They also had a large bag that was more flared at the bottom and I couldn't hit it very well either.

I did learn my lesson though to put the plastic cap back on the swivel no matter if I say I'm only going to hit it for a minute as I took a bag to the nose

I then tried a title contender xs black small bag and it moved very slow. I then moved to a yellow and black rival bag xs and it hit well but it wasn't real fast like I was expecting. I was also surprised that it hit well seeing as it was small thinking it would be harder to hit. I found it a bit easier to elbows, pass throughs etc. How does changing the size and dimensions of a bag affect it's performance?
    Last edited by new2sb; 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM.
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

^ Like Ralph said, each bag has it's use. In the example below (from last year just before the SPEED B.A.G. III gathering) I shot one of my workouts on the bags. This is the Ringside NOS 9x6, Title 9x6, Atomic XS and the Fighting Sports 9x6...as you can see, although all the 6x9's are the same 'size', they are really very different.

The Ringside is fast & light....the Title has a bigger belly and is a little heavier (requires a bit more force)...and the FS bag is even a little bigger (longer & bigger belly).

I always gravitate towards the FS bag to work on combinations and techniques at slower speeds until I'm confident, then move to a smaller, faster bag to rip it!

...oh, and I've gotten better since then!

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
      ^

How do you get better than that??? What a set!!

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Do you think? Awesome set. You are really rocking those phantom punches.

I want to try some of those incredible movements, but I can't remember exactly what you did....
        Could your write some of that down so I can try it on my bag and remember what you did when I don't have this video to watch?

please....

aha....
        Last edited by Speedbag; 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by fedora View Post
          How do you get better than that???
          Practice, Practice, Practice!

Comment

• fedora
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2012

Practice, Practice, Practice!

What! you mean I can't learn to do this in 6 weeks??

fedora

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

fedora
              I think you can! When I shot that I had been hitting the bag for 1 1/2 years...about 2 hours a day on average. I just love it & get lost in it. I put the headphones on and bang away...lose all track of time...what fun!

Start slow & enjoy yourself...

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

fedora
                IMO, Time is a bit irrelevant. Can you get a full college degree in four years? Can you get it in less time? And if you get that degree, do you think there will still be more to learn?

You can certainly learn a whole lot on the speed bag in six weeks, but some of what you learn, how useful it is (for other combiatinos) and how to progress from where you are to where you want to be is really dependent on the quality and foundation of your practice, along with some external coaching or teaching if it is available. A "third eye" watching what you do and how you do it is very helpful to spot errors in form and function. Just ask professional golfers who have a swing coach watch them on the driving range and course, or the baseball batting coaches. Often times you cannot see the errors you make that kill club or bat speed, or fist speed in the speed bag domain.

anyway, the point is, practice with a learned, well planned purpose and you may progress much faster than you thought possible.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• capitol
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2013

That was AWESOME!

Comment

• fedora
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    IMO, Time is a bit irrelevant. Can you get a full college degree in four years? Can you get it in less time? And if you get that degree, do you think there will still be more to learn?

You can certainly learn a whole lot on the speed bag in six weeks, but some of what you learn, how useful it is (for other combiatinos) and how to progress from where you are to where you want to be is really dependent on the quality and foundation of your practice, along with some external coaching or teaching if it is available. A "third eye" watching what you do and how you do it is very helpful to spot errors in form and function. Just ask professional golfers who have a swing coach watch them on the driving range and course, or the baseball batting coaches. Often times you cannot see the errors you make that kill club or bat speed, or fist speed in the speed bag domain.

anyway, the point is, practice with a learned, well planned purpose and you may progress much faster than you thought possible.

All of the above is all so true. I was finding myself putting the figurative cart before the horse on some combinations. I was working on the double outside elbow and finding myself having trouble getting it. I had to go back to Alans book and recheck some of arm positions and found out what I was doing wrong. If someone had been watching me they could have told me right away. Also I figured out that I really just needed to practice the outside elbow on it's own a lot more FIRST before I added the punch with it. Now it's starting to come together. Each movement should build a foundation for the next one with more movements in it. Trying to do them all right away is not only frustrating but hinders ones progress. I should have known this but I got in a hurry to progress to the "cooler" moves.

fedora
                    Last edited by fedora; 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

Wax on... wax off....

Really it is a process. Slow & steady wins the race. I'm working on the 4-way elbows, being right-handed, I can start with my left elbow and go through to my right with no problems at all, it came natural....but starting with my right elbow and finishing with the left is a whole different story!

Looking at video of yourself really helps....and that's why you should post some here too, you'll get all kinds of help.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

All of the above is all so true. I was finding myself putting the figurative cart before the horse on some combinations. I was working on the double outside elbow and finding myself having trouble getting it. I had to go back to Alans book and recheck some of arm positions and found out what I was doing wrong. If someone had been watching me they could have told me right away. Also I figured out that I really just needed to practice the outside elbow on it's own a lot more FIRST before I added the punch with it. Now it's starting to come together. Each movement should build a foundation for the next one with more movements in it. Trying to do them all right away is not only frustrating but hinders ones progress. I should have known this but I got in a hurry to progress to the "cooler" moves.

fedora
                        exactly. That is why I put them in the order they are listed.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...