• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matt01ss
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2012

Ok, so now what??

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Swivel screws already stripping the holes after 2 weeks of use.

??
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by matt01ss View Post
    http://imgur.com/a/EdgnB

Swivel screws already stripping the holes after 2 weeks of use.

??
    Can you drill the holes all the way through the board and use bolts with wing-nuts? That how I do it....and it allows for quick & easy swivel changes.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• matt01ss
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
      Can you drill the holes all the way through the board and use bolts with wing-nuts? That how I do it....and it allows for quick & easy swivel changes.
      I guess that's what I'll probably have to do. Having wood screws anchor all that force doesn't seem like a great design idea. They really need to be bolts.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I guess that's what I'll probably have to do. Having wood screws anchor all that force doesn't seem like a great design idea. They really need to be bolts.

I've heard that before...

If that is a Deville #13, I found I had to drill out the holes a bit wider to allow my 1/4 inch Hex bolts go through, which is what I use to bolt my swivels. Otherwise you made need to use a more narrow size 10.

you can use washers and wingnuts on top for quick tightening.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• matt01ss
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2012

Ok thanks, sounds like I have a little work ahead of me still.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Hey matt01ss. Wow! Thanks for posting the photos of the swivel and drum. I have been including the wood screws with the swivel shipment as a convenience for those who might need them. But, I failed to consider the fact that not everyone has a solid wood drum.

While the pressed wood material (in the Balazs platform) is probably lighter weight and perhaps more economical to use in place of solid wood, I am told that it's not the best material to use for a speed bag drum. Pressed wood is sawdust material that is pressed and glued together, and then covered with a laminate veneer, I think.

There are two or three "fixes" for your platform. Like Alan said, you can replace the wood screws with screw bolts. I don't think you would have to go with a larger hole than what you already have drilled into the drum. Just find a screw bolt that fits through the existing pre-drilled swivel holes. If not, you will want to be careful about drilling larger holes in the swivel, because it could weaken it a bit.

When you got the platform from Balazs, did it come with pre-drilled holes through the platform and metal plate? From the looks of the pictures that aad03 posted in an older thread, it doesn't look like it comes pre-drilled.

Here's another way to take care of the problem, and it would make for a better drum, although it requires a little work. Heck, I guess you're looking as a little work, either way.

You could get a 24" solid wood round (unfinished round tabletop) from Lowe's or Home Depot. You can sand and stain it, and then you can glue and screw it to your existing Balazs fiberboard drum.

It's easier than it sounds. Really! Just apply glue between the Balazs drum and the 24" round, clamp it to the Balazs drum, and screw it together with wood screws. Just make sure the screws are shorter in length than the overall thickness of the two rounds glued together so that they don't end up coming through to the other side. Screw from the top of the Balazs drum. Then, you can use the regular wood screws to attach the swivel into the solid wood drum. There shouldn't be any problem with it attached to solid wood.

Here is a link to the YouTube video where we retro-fitted an inexpensive platform (cheap Everlast particle board drum) with a solid wood round.

Improve the quality of your speed bag workouts with a new drum & swivel --
 The DEVILLE D-21 FLUSH-MOUNTED SWIVEL AND SPEED BAG DRUM.Contact Dee at: DevilleS...

If you don't want to do that, here are some links to threads that Aaron (aad03) posted. He shows how he modified his Balazs platform http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...=balazs&page=2

This thread http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3208 has a pdf file that is a template for the swivel holes.
            aad03:
            "Template for Balazs Platform Modification
            To modify a Balazs drum to allow the swivel screws to bolt through the platform, rather than only thread into the wood, print the attached pdf file. This can also be used if you are building a homemade platform. Make sure the "Page Scaling" is set to "None" in the "Page Setup" before printing. You can verify this by measuring the given dimensions on the actual printout."

I've attached Aaron's Template PDF file in this thread, if needed.

I hope this helps.
            Attached Files
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• matt01ss
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Dec 2012

Thanks a lot MsDeville for the information. I think I'll go with the bolts through the metal plate, that just feels like the right way to go for supporting all that force from the bag. I like the rebound board for the Balazs so I want to keep that on the bottom.

It shouldn't be to bad, just a few screw holes through the metal, some bolts, washers and wing nuts and should be good to go.

PS - Yes the Balazs came with predrilled holes in the rebound board but not through the metal plate. I'll actually have to rotate the mount a little so that the screws come up into the main brace's open area.

Also, does anyone know what the Balazs frame is made out of? Would a carbide tip bit work? Would I need a cobalt tip bit?
              Last edited by matt01ss; 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                • Apr 2012

I was also disappointed that the #13 didn't accommodate my bolts...

However, I know not to use wood screws in press wood without drilling pilot holes first. Not saying you didn't drill...

I used way better quality screws then the cheap ones provided.
                I have had much success with my #13.

If I could be in two places at once, I would get bolts that would be a good match for the #13. I"m not going to fix something that ain't broken thou.

Good luck.
                Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  I've heard that before...

If that is a Deville #13, I found I had to drill out the holes a bit wider to allow my 1/4 inch Hex bolts go through, which is what I use to bolt my swivels. Otherwise you made need to use a more narrow size 10.

you can use washers and wingnuts on top for quick tightening.
                  I was very careful in widening the screw holes so not to damage the edges of the swivel where the holes are. I found a drill be that just fit through the hole, tight but successful, then went to the next largest one, it would not fit, put it in the drill, holding swivel down tight on piece of wood and drilled gently through, just shaving off a bit more plastic out of the hole. after one hole I tried my 1/4 inch Hex bolt and it fit through. It was a tight fit but passed with "forcing it", which should not be necessary.

"re-drilling the holes" sounded a bit drastic, it was more like gently widening it.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...