X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reggabdeeps
    • Jun 2011

Back at it!

Hello everybody, I have been lurking around here for approx the last 2 years. I am still a novice speedbagger although I own the bible I read it mostly when I used the platform at my local gym (brought my own NOS bag) but never got exceptionally good at it because of the limited time I spent there. Since I lived in an apartment and couldnt install a platform there.

Over the last year I stopped working out due to some minor joint problems gained twenty pounds and bought my first house. I just recently joined another gym but they don’t have a speedbag setup so I was on a search for the older everlast (saved a few bucks) one which I intended to upgrade. I found one on craigslist, bought a 24” round at lowes and am back to bagging. Im a bit rusty and plan on dusting off the bible but am fairly happy with the setup. After seeing other similar setups im already thinking of getting a custom cut board but that will have until.

I have a small assortment of bags but always room for more… got my eye on some cletos, and NOS bags. Oh and cant forget the Msdeville swivel.

Question for you guys who bag in a cold detached garage… any one use a rubber mat to stand on? Thinking for getting one of those cushy ones they sell for the kitchens. Im guessing it would help alleviate some stress off the back.
  • PunchDrummer
    • Jan 2012

I have a set of four black interlocking rubber mats I got at the local auto parts store that I use outside at my speed bagging tree. I think they were about the price of a bag, and they're great to stand on. They'll insulate too so you can bag in your socks.

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
      I have a set of four black interlocking rubber mats I got at the local auto parts store that I use outside at my speed bagging tree. I think they were about the price of a bag, and they're great to stand on. They'll insulate too so you can bag in your socks.
      I have the same thing in the garage...they are exercise mats...got them at Dick's Sporting Goods. They help to keep the feet warm on that cold concrete too!
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

oh that cold garage (it was 70 today in texas, going to be 80 tomorrow...)

get a small, personal space heater, let it run 10 minutes before you get out there and knock the sub-zero cold off...
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

get a small, personal space heater, let it run 10 minutes before you get out there and knock the sub-zero cold off...
          Says the guy from Texas.

Us northerners are suffering through a pretty good cold snap. (Don't want to know what the temp in MN is) This morning's low was -5, and the high today will be 12. Not as bad as it has been in years past, but still too cold for these old bones.

Waiting for the warmth of the Southern Hemisphere.

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Biff View Post
            Says the guy from Texas.

Us northerners are suffering through a pretty good cold snap. (Don't want to know what the temp in MN is) This morning's low was -5, and the high today will be 12. Not as bad as it has been in years past, but still too cold for these old bones.
            ...says the guy from PA....

Up here it was -10 with a high of 14 expected today (a warm streak)!
            I went out in the garage yesterday to hit and after about 5 minutes, I couldn't feel my hands any more. Good thing I have that platform in the nice warm basement!

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• fedora
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2012

My set up is in an unheated garage too. I put a space heater at my feet and stand on some carpet remnants for padding and to keep my feet up off the cold concrete. After a few minutes of bagging I have to stop and put my hands down by the heater to warm them back up again. I thought it was cold here (27) but after reading the temps some of you other guys are dealing with, I feel warmer already.

fedora

Comment

• reggabdeeps
                • Jun 2011

wish i could but because of this cold streak the space heater was confiscated by the wife!

i just put up the platform the other day and because of my work schedule i wont have a chance to workout until this weekend. i also have to work on quieting it down a bit... apparently it pretty loud the night i hung it up (garage door was closed). just moved into the neighborhood so dont want the only minority to start pissing off the neighbors.

btw Alan, i recall there was some modified swivel you recommended that was put together using the plastic swivel? the platform i just bought off craigslist came with the plastic swivel, but i switched it out with my older metal ball . would you suggest i keep the metal one or could the plastic one be a better option?

i might be a bit rusty but nothing preformed the way im used to. in the process of adding the lowes pine board. im probably over thinking it but i just put it up barely used it and am already planning on changing the board, swivel and mount... urrgh i get too obsessed with my hobbies.

Comment

• fedora
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by reggabdeeps View Post
                  urrgh i get too obsessed with my hobbies.
                  At least you are in good company here. I did the same thing when I got back into this just a few months ago. Hadn't done it in over 25 years. Glad I found this place or I'd still be struggling with a platform that was too small, a swivel that was the wrong kind and a bag that wasn't that good.

fedora

Comment

• reggabdeeps
                    • Jun 2011

btw Alan, i recall there was some modified swivel you recommended that was put together using the plastic swivel? the platform i just bought off craigslist came with the plastic swivel, but i switched it out with my older metal ball . would you suggest i keep the metal one or could the plastic one be a better option?
                    ahh i found what i was looking for... Link

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

wish i could but because of this cold streak the space heater was confiscated by the wife!

i just put up the platform the other day and because of my work schedule i wont have a chance to workout until this weekend. i also have to work on quieting it down a bit... apparently it pretty loud the night i hung it up (garage door was closed). just moved into the neighborhood so dont want the only minority to start pissing off the neighbors.

i might be a bit rusty but nothing preformed the way im used to. in the process of adding the lowes pine board. im probably over thinking it but i just put it up barely used it and am already planning on changing the board, swivel and mount... urrgh i get too obsessed with my hobbies.

A metal ball in a plastic housing does makes for an awesome swivel, IMO. It's fast, accurate and quiet - IF you can find an old everlast ballhook to take apart. (by the way, that isn't always easy either. Swivels with stripped or jammed threads can be a nightmare to get apart)

I've used one like that for many years. The last year or so I've been hitting the new Deville swivels (several models) to evaluate and use under different conditions as they work on the design and material. This NEW Deville #13 appears fully comparable to the "metal ball/plastic housing swivels" I've made and referenced in that old post. The beauty of the Deville ballhook is you don't need to find an old everlast metal ballhook swivel an old plastic ballhook to make one and I think the Deville is quieter than the plastic ballhook, if that's possible. I'm still coming off a recent shoulder surgery so I haven't gone anywhere near full force or hit to music with it yet, but from what I've done the #13 is awesome for my purposes.
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 01-24-2013, 08:29 PM.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• reggabdeeps
                        • Jun 2011

A metal ball in a plastic housing does makes for an awesome swivel, IMO. It's fast, accurate and quiet - IF you can find an old everlast ballhook to take apart. (by the way, that isn't always easy either. Swivels with stripped or jammed threads can be a nightmare to get apart)
                        lucky for me i already have the necessary parts but i still plan on eventually getting a Deville swivel.

current plans are to dampen the noise, new bag, and finishing touches on the whole setup.

Comment

• reggabdeeps
                          • Jun 2011

well after some struggle, i finally got the ballhook apart and attached it to the plastic swivel. had to sand down the ball when i got it apart, caused some burs when trying to take it a part. its late, wont get to test it until tomorrow.

btw, why is the is the suggestion to place the the lowes pre-cut pine board on top of the factory everlast board instead of using it as the "main" board?

Comment

• reggabdeeps
                            • Jun 2011

Well its finally done... finished mounting the pine board adjusted height, and added 50 lbs bag of sand.

My garage still needs some work, its dark and dingy but its mine
                            Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...