• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

So how fast does a Speedbag go??

Has anyone here with the right type of camera equipment ever filmed someone like Alan or others that are super fast "Speedbag Skunk", and then slowed it down to see how fast the bag is actually moving? They do this sort of thing on Mythbusters all the time and I was wondering just how fast these things can go. If not it would be interesting for someone to do.

fedora
    Last edited by fedora; 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
    Has anyone here with the right type of camera equipment ever filmed someone like Alan or others that are super fast "Speedbag Skunk", and then slowed it down to see how fast the bag is actually moving? They do this sort of thing on Mythbusters all the time and I was wondering just how fast these things can go. If not it would be interesting for someone to do.
    fedora
    I don't think any slow motion camera footage could be a reliable source of information.

Once upon a long time ago, I was contacted by one of the segment producers of the TV show "The guinness book of world records" and they had the same idea.

Who was the fastest on the speed bag? Somehow in their search for an anwer or existing record, they were given my email address by, if I remember correctly, ringside boxing or tufwear - both of which I had a close connection with at that time.

That produced a lengthy discussion about the speed bag. Truth is, they really knew nothing about speed bag equipment or how to hit it, other than the typical view of a boxer hitting one. My correspondence to them about such a record, or possible contest, probably scared them a bit for the idea died after a few emails, ending with "...they would get back to me".

You see, the determination of any such record would be difficult, if not impossible to determine due to the many variables possible concerning the speed bag and the actual measurement of "speed". Now remember they had no idea about the following:

Bag sizes
    Bag inflation rates (how more or less air can affect bag speed)
    swivel types
    rebound surfaces, stability, vibration effect on speed.
    Punching styles and legitimate systems of measurement:
    * boxer style: Triplet Rhythym only (3 rebounds)- same side punching
    * Single fist pass thru or double fist pass thru (2 rebounds - double bounce rhythm)
    * non-stop fist rolling, same side 1 rebound only.
    * All around punching (bible style, non-stop from any direction..)

So, which one do you want to measure, on what size bag, with how much air in the bag, on what kind of rebound surface? I can jump between perceived bag speed very easily by changing from the Triplet rhythm to the double bounce (double bounce sounds much faster due to accent pattern) and I can also over inflate the bag with air to go into overdrive. Go to a heavier, more stable board and listen to how much faster a stable board is....

So.. which one do you want to measure, and HOW will you legimately measure it?

Back then (and now..) There are were no set standards for speed bag records, including- bag sizes, standard air inflation, rebound or wall unit or punching style used to determine any measurement of speed. And All are relevant for any determination of bag speed or fair, impartial measurments on who is really faster than anyone else. No matter what bag size you use, any fair comparison between contestants MUST be made with equal air pressures, measure on the same gauge. One or two puffs of extra air will make any bag faster, so the amounts must be certified equal. And they must be made with the same bag, swivel and rebound board.

Of course the standard Triplet rhythm would be the easiest method, but they were not really interested in developing standards of measurement and hosting a national or international contest for contestants to be measured. They just wondered if a record was known so they could have a segment on who it was. ??? this sounded a bit wierd from the people what actually set the rules for such records, certify the contests for such records, and demand all sorts of visual and written documentation of such records. My question was, "if There really was a "certified and legitimate record attempt set anytime in the past..." wouldn't YOU (guinness) know about it. why would you be asking me.. ???

and how could they accept my word on who the fastest was... Since I first started hitting the speed bag I have always known people who could hit in the triplet rhythm much faster than me. I can easily make them sound slower than me by overinflating a bag and jumping into non-stop single and double fist linking combinations, because the accent patterns of those combinations appear to be much faster than using three rebounds, but I'm really not punching any faster. It is the auditory illusion of accented punches that makes one style sound much faster than the other, but fist and bag speed are pretty much the same.

So, after that discussion, by email and phone, I never heard from them again. But the fact still remains, any actual and legitimate measurement of speed bag punching speed MUST address those issues.

Today we now have The Speed Demon, which is a very unique measure device that records punching speed per minute. This might serve as a legitimate and accepted measurement device for such a record attempt, performed by competitors on the same bag, same swivel, same rebound board and same air pressure - and all registered and approved by the official Guinness World Record organization.

I can tell them, Skunk, Matthew (speedbagataraxis) and Speedy TommyT are three of the fastest I have ever seen or heard,

however, the WORLD is a big place.....
    Last edited by Speedbag; 01-21-2013, 01:58 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

Wow, I never thought about all those variables. Thanks for filling me in on all those details. Still, even if you weren't interested in getting into a record book, it would be interesting to have just a few of you speedsters use the same bag, platform and technique and just for fun see how fast you guys could get it. Then if anyone ever asked me how fast they can go I could say that "unofficially" some have recorded getting it up to ---.

fedora
      Last edited by fedora; 01-21-2013, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
        Wow, I never thought about all those variables. Thanks for filling me in on all those details. Still, even if you weren't interested in getting into a record book, it would be interesting to have just a few of you speedsters use the same bag, platform and technique and just for fun see how fast you guys could get it. Then if anyone ever asked me how fast they can go I could say that "unofficially" some have recorded getting it up to ---.

fedora
        That was done during the last speed bag gathering, July 2012.

reference this also...

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• doss darwin
          • Dec 2012

speed

speedbag 4 should set up to establish some sort of model and submit the winner to GWR--could do a couple different ones --might help with some standarizing of the art if that is where the community wants to head--dd
          the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by doss darwin View Post
            speedbag 4 should set up to establish some sort of model and submit the winner to GWR--could do a couple different ones --might help with some standarizing of the art if that is where the community wants to head--dd
            Actually you will have a better chance of getting a record in GWR if you apply first and get their sanction for the event as well as some official oversight their own recognized officials with verification they will accept. Several people I know of in the past have approached GWR about this and it has yet to be accomplished. Step one smidge outside their guidelines and it will not be accepted.

Many years ago took part in a record attempt at "non-stop racquetball marathon" (50 hours) as well as a non-stop table tennis marathon (both were fund raising events for the Muscular Dystrophy Association in the late '70's). Neither were accepted due to "technicalites" and protocol issues.

There was also a speed bag punching marathon record attempt by Heather Wellard of Tonbridge England but I do not see it listed in GWR. I spoke to her on the phone during this event. Pretty cool.

Just found this about a LUTA Speed Ball Challenge: 222 punch ball record (middle pic). ???
            Last edited by Speedbag; 01-21-2013, 09:08 PM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

I had a speed bag up to 530mph once....it was in my bag on the airplane!
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...