X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

...with the neoprene washer, you can just stretch it over the eye bolt...easy.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Jake
      • Mar 2011

Hey Zaza thanks for that info. I'll go back and find the link you posted.

And Ralph, please keep us updated on how well the 00 holds up.

I used to like the sound of the metal hitting metal, and the Powermill really isn't even very loud, but I find just the bag hitting the board better for most punch drumming. You get more drum-roll like sounds. Instead of ka-smash sounds, if that makes any sense.

The other thing is wear and tear. I don't have a photo of my old Everlast handy, but it's really warn. I'm not just talking about the chunk missing from the eyebolt, but the housing.

The shank of the eyebolt carves deep grooves in the housing. Especially at the front. It really effects the performance.

I saw the wear begining when I first started using one of my Powermills, but since I started using duct tape as a bushing, I see no wear at all.

I have three Powermills. One is a virgin, and it's going to stay that way. I don't ever plan on using it. There's something special about the workmanship on these all metal swivels. They just have a real quality feel to them. I think with a bushing on the eyebolt shank, and grease on the ball, one of these swivels could last forever.

I'm a stickler for keeping mine greased. I want the ball socket to stay perfectly symetrical. Allthough the ball socket held up well on my Everlast for many years, it's still slightly egg-shaped.

Right now I'm using White Lithium Grease from a spray can. I have to give it a fresh shot every 30 minutes or so, but it works great. It's not messy. It just seems to dry out. From what I understand the Lithium is (or is like) "soap that holds the oil".

Comment

• Jake
        • Mar 2011

This is the kind of wear I'm talking about. I bought this swivel in 1978, at Hermans Sporting Goods. The tag's still on the back.

Note how at the front of the swivel the what I call "groove", is cut deeper than the rear, and way deeper than the sides. Also note the flat spot on the eye.

The swivel has to travel farther forward (especially when the eye strikes with its flat spot). This means you have to strike harder with a forward strike, than a strike from the rear. The eye makes a loud bang, when it strikes the housing. Much louder than a Powermill. Probably because that flat spot hits the housing like a hammer head.

When I ordered the three Powermills, I planned on giving two of them to two good friends. However I'm keeping all three. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I blame it on my strong addiction to speed bagging. I need the good stuff.
        Attached Files

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

Wow, that swivel has taken some serious hitting. Something you may have already read or know about is buying an Everlast plastic ball and swivel and taking your metal ball and hook out of your beat up one and putting it into the plastic housing. I read about doing that here on the forum, it works really well. They are pretty cheap, only about 7.00 or so. They are on ebay. I'm not sure how long the plastic housing will last but the price to replace them is minimal. I also have the Powermill and the Deville swivels and I like all 3 of them.

fedora
          Last edited by fedora; 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Jake
            • Mar 2011

That's a good idea Fedora, but I'm going to retire this swivel in one piece. We've been through a lot together.

Back in 78 I was 16. Just got my license. Someone standing in a big crowd of guys threw a snowball at my car. I had a few beers in me, got out, walked up to the guys, and said who threw it. A big wrestler/football player guy stepped forward and said "I don't know".

I grabbed hold of his jacket with my left, and started throwing haymakers with my right. I was doing great. Everyone was cheering me on, but I stopped swinging, and bam. I saw a flash.

I went to school the next day with a black eye, split lip, and chipped tooth. I decided I better learn how to do more than throw haymakers. So I went to Hermans, and got this swivel with a 7x10 everlast bag.

At the time I felt like an idiot for getting my lights punched out. But looking back, none of those guys ever said a word to me, or threw a snowball at my car again.

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

I'd say that held-up pretty good for 35 years of hitting! You probably got your money's worth.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                This is the kind of wear I'm talking about. I bought this swivel in 1978, at Hermans Sporting Goods. The tag's still on the back.

Note how at the front of the swivel the what I call "groove", is cut deeper than the rear, and way deeper than the sides. Also note the flat spot on the eye.

The swivel has to travel farther forward (especially when the eye strikes with its flat spot). This means you have to strike harder with a forward strike, than a strike from the rear. The eye makes a loud bang, when it strikes the housing. Much louder than a Powermill. Probably because that flat spot hits the housing like a hammer head.

When I ordered the three Powermills, I planned on giving two of them to two good friends. However I'm keeping all three. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I blame it on my strong addiction to speed bagging. I need the good stuff.

Yep, those older everlast ballhooks could take a licking a keep on ticking. I've had a few with very visible wear on the housing and eye. But they still worked fine. Too bad they lost that level or quality in their equipment.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fingers
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • May 2008

Hi all long time eh? I used the one inch self addecive felt discs used as furniture protectors! stick it on the drum where the centre of the sweivell sits with a little grease on! there is no free play so this stops the top of the swivel ball hitting the drum.

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

fingers!

Comment

• Bag Man
                      • Jan 2011

I turn the music up until my ears bleed. Can't hear a thing.
                      "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Bag Man
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                        That's a good idea Fedora, but I'm going to retire this swivel in one piece. We've been through a lot together.

Back in 78 I was 16. Just got my license. Someone standing in a big crowd of guys threw a snowball at my car. I had a few beers in me, got out, walked up to the guys, and said who threw it. A big wrestler/football player guy stepped forward and said "I don't know".

I grabbed hold of his jacket with my left, and started throwing haymakers with my right. I was doing great. Everyone was cheering me on, but I stopped swinging, and bam. I saw a flash.

I went to school the next day with a black eye, split lip, and chipped tooth. I decided I better learn how to do more than throw haymakers. So I went to Hermans, and got this swivel with a 7x10 everlast bag.

At the time I felt like an idiot for getting my lights punched out. But looking back, none of those guys ever said a word to me, or threw a snowball at my car again.
                        Had a similar experience, only in my case tried to twist the guy's head off like the cap on a cheap Sherry. Same result though. I'm clean and snowball free for 34 years.
                        "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• fingers
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                          fingers!
                          Hi Paranday,! long time no hear eh,

Comment

• Biff
                            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Fingers!!! Hi mate. Nice to see you back!

How have you been?

Comment

• Zaza
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                              Fingers!!! Hi mate.
                              One week down-under and he already has the lingo down!

Comment

• fingers
                                Speed Bag Guru
                                • May 2008

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                                Fingers!!! Hi mate. Nice to see you back!

How have you been?
                                Hi Biff! Thanks for the welcome ! nice to be back my friend!
                                I am well thanks time to dust off the Cleto I think its been too long!
                                How are you keeping?
                                Last edited by fingers; 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...