• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • christopher
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2012

Help Getting a Speed Bag Into Our Gym

Hello everyone. Merry Christmas. I am a new member of a general fitness gym in North Carolina. I expected they would have a speed bag as other gyms I have been a member of have had them in the past. I didn't ask before I signed up and it turns out they do not have a speed bag.

I live in a small apartment and am not able to install one where I live.

Do any of you have experience convincing a gym to add a speed bag to their equipment list? Any ideas why they might not have one? Are they too loud for some people?

I would even be willing to purchase a used one on craigslist and donate it if they would install one. They have a single heavy bag but no speed bag.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Chris
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hi Christopher, and welcome to SBFORUM.

If you're willing to purchase the equipment for the gym, I don't see any reason for them to turn it down. They may actually install it, or they may want you to install it.

The biggest problem I have encountered is that the gym (a local YMCA, in my case), doesn't really take ownership of the equipment. By that I mean, they will accept the donation, but they won't take an active role in maintaining it, or even caring if equipment is used properly. I donated two platforms and two bags to the local Y a couple of years ago, and only one of the platforms is still there. In order for me to use it, I have to bring my own swivel and bag, connect them to what's left, in order to workout on it.

The platforms and bags were abused, and eventually practically "disappeared."

I love our local Y, but I won't donate that type of equipment any longer. It just seems that if the majority of members aren't interested in the equipment, it gets neglected.

I think AK (speedbag) would agree with me on this point.

In your situation, without having a place to hit in your apartment, I say give it a try, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out the way you hope it will.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

I agree with Biff, I've yet to see a speed bag setup at any of the Y's in San Diego County. It seems that they have a list of the type of equipment that all of the facilities must have, and while they do accept donations, they tend to encourage funds rather than the actual equipment. It's a case where I believe that there is a definte lack of understanding of the benefits of using the speed bag. For the most part the staff (all of whom seem to be my son's age) are only acquainted with speed bags from watching "Rocky".

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by christopher View Post
        Hello everyone. Merry Christmas. I am a new member of a general fitness gym in North Carolina. I expected they would have a speed bag as other gyms I have been a member of have had them in the past. I didn't ask before I signed up and it turns out they do not have a speed bag.

Do any of you have experience convincing a gym to add a speed bag to their equipment list? Any ideas why they might not have one? Are they too loud for some people?
        I would even be willing to purchase a used one on craigslist and donate it if they would install one. They have a single heavy bag but no speed bag.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Chris
        Sad too say.... Yes. Unless the speed bag can be set up in a private area away from the masses, the complaints about it will probably outweigh the praise of it being present. (unless most members hit it, then it will be tolerated better.) Unfortunately the sound of the bag is normally enjoyed by the people who actually use it.

Originally posted by Biff View Post
        Hi Christopher, and welcome to SBFORUM.

If you're willing to purchase the equipment for the gym, I don't see any reason for them to turn it down. They may actually install it, or they may want you to install it.

The biggest problem I have encountered is that the gym (a local YMCA, in my case), doesn't really take ownership of the equipment. By that I mean, they will accept the donation, but they won't take an active role in maintaining it, or even caring if equipment is used properly. I donated two platforms and two bags to the local Y a couple of years ago, and only one of the platforms is still there. In order for me to use it, I have to bring my own swivel and bag, connect them to what's left, in order to workout on it.

The platforms and bags were abused, and eventually practically "disappeared."

I love our local Y, but I won't donate that type of equipment any longer. It just seems that if the majority of members aren't interested in the equipment, it gets neglected.

I think AK (speedbag) would agree with me on this point.

In your situation, without having a place to hit in your apartment, I say give it a try, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out the way you hope it will.

Absolutely agree. I love the "Y" in my area also, but I'm done donating equipment to them. If it isn't stolen it probably won't be maintained very long, and you can plan on bringing your own swivel and bag each time you want to use it. You can never trust that one or the other won't be broken or stolen. Good help is hard to find.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The best solution is a home wall unit. The activity of speed bagging still needs (1) a solid, very stable yet affordable free standing floor set up, (2) a portable or simple to install Door frame unit to either fit OVER a door or temporarily fixed INTO an an open door frame.

Several examples and attempts of a portable speed bag or temporary, easy set up and take down units, have come and gone. None succeeded so far....

Last edited by Speedbag; 01-03-2013, 09:28 AM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          The best solution is a home wall unit. The activity of speed bagging still needs (1) a solid, very stable yet affordable free standing floor set up, (2) a portable or simple to install Door frame unit to either fit OVER a door or temporarily fixed INTO an an open door frame.

Several examples and attempts of a portable speed bag or temporary, easy set up and take down units, have come and gone. None succeeded so far....

I wonder how many people give up on the speed bag because (1) their platform at home is not solid, very stable, so they get frustrated and quit, (2) the products you list are not available so they give up without even experiencing the speed bag.

Sad situation.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
            I wonder how many people give up on the speed bag because (1) their platform at home is not solid, very stable, so they get frustrated and quit, (2) the products you list are not available so they give up without even experiencing the speed bag.

Sad situation.
            Lots, IMO.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MJHawk
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by christopher View Post

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Chris

I have personal trained and managed a few gyms, big and small. We had a speed bag platform in 1 of them, but it was also the home gym of a professional boxer (Rob Calloway). The set-up was in an auxillary room with a heavy bag and was used for aerobics. I ALWAYS advocate a platform/set-up but honestly a few points to consider:

1) Most people are irresponsible with the equipment
              2) Per sq ft/in the equipment is too expensive to be misused, especially considering the quality of equipment you need for a large-scale operation/high volume and diversity of people).

However...my argument FOR having a speed-bad set up in more fitness centers/gyms is that, THE REASON people misuse speed-bag equipment is because it is so rare in fitness settings and it's too much of a "novelty" item to most people. If it was as common as a Smith Machine for example, it would be treated with the respect and purpose the Smith Machine is. I think there needs to be a focused initiative to grow speed-bag platform implementation and education about the usage and the goal/benefits of s-bagging.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by MJHawk View Post
                ...my argument FOR having a speed-bad set up in more fitness centers/gyms is that, THE REASON people misuse speed-bag equipment is because it is so rare in fitness settings and it's too much of a "novelty" item to most people. If it was as common as a Smith Machine for example, it would be treated with the respect and purpose the Smith Machine is. I think there needs to be a focused initiative to grow speed-bag platform implementation and education about the usage and the goal/benefits of s-bagging.
                I am shameless when it comes to promoting speed bagging and especially punching to music. I find that many people will subscribe to my YouTube channel because they find it inspiring. But, I think very few people actually follow through and invest in a good platform and decent speed bags.

I agree that it's when possible/feasible, we need to spread the Word of the Bag. Alan Kahn has been instrumental in the advancement of speed bagging. I mean, where would many of us be without Alan's wisdom and expertise in the sport? Thank you, Alan!!!

Zaza (Joe Saba) is doing his part with the production of a speed bag documentary, and of course there is SpeedBagSkunk (Zach Ruffo), and Speedbag Scissorhands (Adam Salomon), Jumpcannon (Ryan) with his custom-designed, all-metal swivel to name just a few. G-Town (Louis) and Juxt (Justin) have gone to their local gyms to teach speed bagging, and this is just a few of the dedicated baggers pushing their habit, so others can become bagaholics as well!

My goal this year is to try to get a decent platform installed at the downtown Tacoma, Washington YMCA. This is what they have right now.

This is not the best platform in the world, but any platform is better than no platform. This Fighting Sports "adjustable" platform is non-adjustable because...

It's okay, but it's no longer adjustable because of a broken handle. And the swivel is an old U-bolt. It rattles and I can't do decent elbow punches on it. Don't even ask about the bag. I bring my own bag when I go. I have yet to see someone (other than myself) punching on it. There is no interest. I think a lot of people have misconceptions about the speed bag, so they don't even try it out.
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• fedora
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2012

As someone just picking it up again, I think many people these days don't have the patience to keep at it. It takes a lot of hand and eye coordination to do this sport. And your brain connections to do this take some time on the bag to develop.
                  When people are used to getting their Big Mac and fries in a few minutes, spending hours practicing on what most likely will be crappy equipment to start with, most people will just give up.
                  But if you get some decent equipment and stick with it, it is a fantastic sport and exercise.

fedora

Comment

• Zaza
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2011

Let us not forget Tim Platt for creating this great forum and community of 'like minded' folks who have discovered the wisdom of the bag!

...and Donnie Blanks (Real Gymm) for his endless support and love of baggin'.

I think the time is right to raise awareness, so lets all make a point in the New Year to spread the word.

Funny story:
                    Back in August, I was out hitting the bag in the garage with the door open. Across the street was an independent handyman installing a new screen door. After a few hours of punching, I walked across the street to get my mail. The handyman dropped what he was doing and came over asking me if I was a boxer. He had heard the intricate rhythms and thought it was a drummer practicing until he asked my neighbor about it and was told it was the speed bag I was hitting.

He loved it...couldn't believe what he was hearing & asked a million questions. I invited him over and showed him a few things. Great guy.

He went on to tell me 'back in the day' he used to hit the speed bag, but not anything like that! We traded information and he left excited about getting a new set-up, Alan's book and start hitting again.

The kicker was..... he was 75 years old!
                    (didn't look a day over 60)

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                      ...now that's a very cool story zaza, i hope i look 60 when i'm 75 ;-)...ralph
                      That's a lot better than being 60 and looking 75..

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2009

That's a lot better than being 60 and looking 75..

I think Willie Nelson surpassed that.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                          I think Willie Nelson surpassed that.
                          Ah, Willie Looks pretty good to me...
                          Attached Files
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• doss darwin
                            • Dec 2012

willie

now that is a cool picture
                            the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

Comment

• paranday
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2009

Ah, Willie Looks pretty good to me...
                              I, um, stand corrected.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...