X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bag-A-Holic
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
    The metallic noise of the ball hook is amplified when the base of the swivel is directly attached to the particle board drum of the Balazs iBox. You might still not like the sound level, but it quiets down considerably in my experience. Can't speak about other platforms, just that one.
    Oh thanks, now I follow what your saying, and it makes perfect sense to me now. I'm looking for any all all ways to reduce noise and will certainly add this to my list of tricks.

If the metal hits the metal, or any hard material for that matter, and has only one hole, for this, the one where the ball is, to escape, it creates a loud noise. But, it would be much quiter if it had more areas to escape. Which I gather putting the rubber grommets you speak of, one on each of the 4 corners, would allow this to happen.

Kinda like a guitar, when you strum the stings, the noise only leaves out the one hole and you can hear it clearly. Now, make a bunch of holes in the back of the guitar too, and then strum the strings, I dont think you will hear much anymore?

Was this a proper analogy?

-Anthony
    Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM.
    -Anthony

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

I'm no engineer, but am thinking the rubber helps stop the transmission of vibrations through the "speaker" -- the relatively thin particle board drum.

I'm excited about the thick end grain butcher block drums being discussed at this forum lately, what kenk wrote the other day caught my attention, and am waiting now to hear the results you guys get. Solve the noise in apartment problem and you open things up for the many who can't bag indoors due to their living arrangement.

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Ear plugs! ...or any ear protection might be a good idea? I love to shoot (shotguns) and wouldn't ever shoot without ear protection. I did that ONCE and my ears were ringing for a few days!

...which reminds me, I need to make some more wax slugs....
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
          • Apr 2011

I put a rubber grommet between the drum and swivel at each screw hole of the Powermill and it quiets right down.
          I wanted to ask what thickness rubber grommet you used or recommend? Also do you tighten the swivel just snug or really make it tight?

Another question, do you think it would be benificial to have it raised by the rubber grommets at each corner only, and leaving space between platform and swivel, and able to breath on all four sides, or maybe 1 large square piece of rubber(same shape as swivel, and place swivel on that and attach to wooden drum?

I'm excited about the thick end grain butcher block drums being discussed at this forum lately, what kenk wrote the other day caught my attention, and am waiting now to hear the results you guys get. Solve the noise in apartment problem and you open things up for the many who can't bag indoors due to their living arrangement.
          Everything has been officially ordered. Platform-Primefighter 400, 2-3 week lead time; the 24x24x6 End Grain Butcher Block, 3-4 weeks lead time; 24x24x1/4 steel reinforcement plate, should arrive Monday. Still need to decide what glue to use, to connect the steel plate to top Butcher Block with. Also what and how many coats of a clear coating I will use.(If I decide to put a finish on it at all)Not sure if a hard laquer finish will make it loader? Finally, need to decide how to drill the holes through the block for the swivel and the holes to mount to platform. I may not want to do it with a hand drill and risk not being a straght hole.
          Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-05-2013, 06:38 PM.
          -Anthony

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...