• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sambruin7
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2012

platform installation help

When installing the platform to the wall, is it better to put some 2x4's perpendicular to the studs and then the platform frame onto the 2x4's? Or can I just mount it directly onto the studs and be okay? I ordered the Xmark platform which basically looks like a copy of the Balazs I-Box if that helps.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by sambruin7 View Post
    When installing the platform to the wall, is it better to put some 2x4's perpendicular to the studs and then the platform frame onto the 2x4's? Or can I just mount it directly onto the studs and be okay? I ordered the Xmark platform which basically looks like a copy of the Balazs I-Box if that helps.
    That may depend on the actual with between your vertical wall mounts. If they are on the same width as your studs (say, 16 inches) then you can do it either way, But having done it both ways I prefer the horizontal 1x4's because that tends to damage the wall less, as evidenced when you remove the wall unit. When I attached the vertical wall mounts directly to the wall without the 1x4's, it left a nasty looking outline of the wall mounts on the sheetrock. Vibration will tend to vibrate these vertical mounts and thereby mark the wall from them.

Two methods of adding wood runners to a wall mount.

The other issue is IF the width of your wall mount attachments are not the same width as your wall studs, and then you will need to add something (wood runners) to stablize the unit to the wall without hoping that the sheetrock alone will hold, which it probably will not. If you find yourself in that situation, I would recommend horizontal wood runners and at least one of the speed bag vertical mounts be attached to the studs. It's better if both are, but if you can't do both, than try for one.

hope this helps. Good luck with your setup.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 06-24-2012, 03:00 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

When you get that Xmark installed (If you can,) you should shoot and post a little Video. that would be very cool. Some close ups of the platform. I'd like to see how stable that thing is, it looks like it would be pretty solid.

The first thing i would do if i had that platform, after i attached it to the wall would be throw a ball-hook swivel on it. (I guess that would be the second thing i would do then. hehe)

The video that Xmark put up on YouTube isn't very good. The camera is not stable, it looks like a hand held video, that isn't good for seeing the amount of vibration in the drum.

But from what i can tell from the video it looks to be pretty solid.
      However... That swivel has to go. Maybe it could be drilled out and turned into a ball-hook. haha

Originally posted by sambruin7 View Post
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ebozyn; 06-25-2012, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...