• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shaunm81
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2012

another newb here

hello everyone I am new to the forums and sorta new to the speed bag world. I have some questions but I will first start off by saying that I purchased the everlast dual station heavy bag/speed bag combo and have a couple questions regarding it all. I was wondering if anyone has ever used this swivel?http://www.ringside.com/ringside/eve...le-swivel.html and if so how good is it? I tried to find reviews on it and couldnt come up with anything about it but I thought it looked pretty good from what I saw of it. I have searched some of the threads looking to find some answers but I am wanting to know of a good swivel and how good is this one?http://www.fitness-equipment.com/aca...ins_2dSwivel02 I am talking about the second swivel down called watkins 02. any help would be great and sorry about my spelling and all that.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
    i am a fan of the ball & S hook swivel only and was supposed to get a watkins 02 swivel and do a review of what i thought about it but haven't done so yet. it looks like a good replacement swivel for the everlast of old swivels. welcome to the forum...ralph
    Hey V, been there done that... 2007 (bad hair day...really)

This video above was back when a "boxing Gear-watkins" actually existed adn the company was responsive to orders and emails. Soon after it took 4-6 months to get one if you ordered it, than I believe a host of forum members placed, - then cancelled orders, due to 1,001 excuses about "back order" and a host of other plagues I guess. Frogs in China, earthquakes in Chili, Global warming and ice cap melting... you name it, no swivels. I'm told by insiders that they are "now" available, but for me, once burned twice shy and there are comparable or better ballhooks available.

to shaunm81

The ones I have (two) are decent ballhooks and worked well. But at this point, I would get the Deville Ballhook, with great action, reliable rebound, reliable supplier and support a tremendous forum member as well as dedicated bagger. PM msDeville and solve your swivel issues. there are several threads that show and support this swivel.

The Deville on my board

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• shaunm81
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2012

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I was just asking about the everlast swivel because the holes in it would more likely be the same as the cheap piece of crap one on my board. now can you tell me about how far spaced the holes for the mrs deville swivel are spaced? just curious as to if it would align up with the holes already in my board for the everlast swivel. so another words would the holes for the bolts that mount it to the platform work or would I have to drill new holes?

I was also wondering about how thick the board should be? the board that came with my stand is 3/4 thick so is that okay or should I take and add some plywood sheets on to it? another words make the thing thicker. one good thing I did notice that I liked about the board was they put metal brace bars across it so my guess would be that would help with vibration and that. anyways once again thank you for taking out the time to answer my questions.

Comment

• shaunm81
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • May 2012

Hello thanks for the help with this stuff you guys! well I pm ms deville and will be placing a order with her soon on the deville swivel. I figure might as well get it right the first time one more question and I was curious which bag and brand would you guys think would be good for a beginner? I was checking out a couple from title boxing but was curious of what size I should start out with? my drum is probably the smaller drum since it is on the heavy bag/speed bag station but figured I would ask and see what you guys recommend? sorry so many questions just want to get all this stuff right. thank you

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

...yah the deville swivel is on my board too but with a everlast ballhook inside.
          what prompted that

...as for the watkins swivel i can't help myself i have to see first hand how it is, you know how that goes...ralph
          If you promise to send it back - I'll send you mine to try for a few weeks.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2010

The Watkins... Up Close, in HD.

There are a couple pretty good vids with this swivel in them.
            Ak's video really gives the low down on the fact that the S-Hook is TOO large.

I think that aad03 made these videos on a boat dock somewhere and i believe he's using the Watkins Swivel, with a piece of leather in place of the S-Hook.

Thanks to aad03 for making these videos.
            another awesome bagger.

I'm about 90% sure these two videos feature the Watkins Swivel.

I have to admit. The swivel in these videos, SOUNDS AWESOME!

If this company would clean up it's act, and take care of things properly, i would maybe order 2 or 3 of these swivels.

Someone that has one of these swivels should do another HD, close up video of the watkins swivel. Have the swivel and bag in tight frame. It would be nice to see some good HD photos, and a Video of this swivel so a person can HEAR IT clearly and SEE IT in great detail, Up Close.

Maybe a minute or two of video. nothing fancy.

...yah the deville swivel is on my board too but with a everlast ballhook inside. as for the watkins swivel i can't help myself i have to see first hand how it is, you know how that goes...ralph
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ebozyn; 05-26-2012, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• shaunm81
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • May 2012

thanks for the help with it all. I will get the small 5x8 bag and see how it goes.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...