• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

Sold Separately?

Does anyone know if these Everlast metal ball hook swivels with the base painted black where ever sold separately, Or did they only come with the platform package deal?
    Attached Files
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

If I recall properly, those weren't painted black, they were black ABS plastic, and were among the last of the traditional ball hooks that Everlast produced. The swivels were sold separately, mounted on a wall card instead of the cardboard box that the previous productions. The output may have been for a year or so at best.

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

Wow! That's wild. I would have never guessed that the base section of that swivel is a plastic material.

Since the housing section is metal i just assumed that the base was metal also.

Interesting. Thanks Dutchman.

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      If I recall properly, those weren't painted black, they were black ABS plastic, and were among the last of the traditional ball hooks that Everlast produced. The swivels were sold separately, mounted on a wall card instead of the cardboard box that the previous productions. The output may have been for a year or so at best.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Very true Dutchman. I bought four or five of them like that with the plastic bases, which had a fatal flaw of the threads cutting.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Johnny O
          • Apr 2011

Yes, I have a few of these. The base is a hard plastic made to the same specifications as the metal ones. Not sure what year these came out but I think Everlast tried this design for a short period of time then went back to the metal base before moving to the one piece plastic swivels.

Comment

• ebozyn
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2010

Higher Grade Steel

Does anyone know if the metal housing section of these plastic based swivels are made of a more durable grade steel than the later model all metal everlast swivels, that the company was making just before they stopped production of their metal ball hook swivels all together?
            Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

Seems to me this was a last ditch effort to make the swivels here. The male half may have been new old production stock. I surmise that after these were depleted that the production went to China, and we know the rest of the story.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Seems to me this was a last ditch effort to make the swivels here. The male half may have been new old production stock. I surmise that after these were depleted that the production went to China, and we know the rest of the story.
                Never heard it put like that.

But, I have a supply of both "male half" housings and "female" base units that DO NOT MATCH. I fear it is the threads, either mismatch in size or stripped. Some just spin inside the metal and won't tighten, and others tight two or three turns and lock up, not seating down all the way.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2010

So these black plastic based swivels may have the last of the higher quality more durable steel used for their housings, but they aren't compatible with their metal based Chinese offspring?

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

I haven't had the opportunity to check the threads, but it's quite possible that the newer ones are metric and the old ones are NPT

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I haven't had the opportunity to check the threads, but it's quite possible that the newer ones are metric and the old ones are NPT
                      I think that's right. I could probably make 4 or 5 Ballhooks if I could get the "male" housing and "female" bases could match.

IF I could get the set screws in the everlast balls to turn and release the shank, I would take the ball and eyeshank apart and drop them in a plastic housings of the plastic ballhooks But some of the set screws are locked in so tight I can't turn them without stripping the hole or the wrench.
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 05-18-2012, 06:48 PM.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

Probably secured with a threadlocker of some kind. Usually the only way to undo it is to heat up the part with a torch. You should be able to loosen it up while it's still hot.

Comment

• ebozyn
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2010

Thanks Vent, that's pretty much what i wanted to know about this version of the Everlast Swivel.

So the bottom line is, the housings are made of the same flakey cookie dough grade steel as other later model everlast metal ball hook swivs, the threads on the plastic base are likely to strip out and the bases and housings aren't likely to be interchangeable with other models.

Bag On!

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                          ...i don't think they are a higher quality, i have three everlast ballhooks, one from speedkilz, one that speedbag sent me and one i got from ebay. the one alan sent me had the plastic base but the male metal still had alot of flaking to it, i used a lot of grease to hold the flakes from getting into my eyes. of the three two interchanged with each other (threads were the same). alan's everlast and the one i got from ebay but speedkilz's swivel was a different thread...ralph
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

...i don't think they are a higher quality, i have three everlast ballhooks, one from speedkilz, one that speedbag sent me and one i got from ebay. the one alan sent me had the plastic base but the male metal still had alot of flaking to it, i used a lot of grease to hold the flakes from getting into my eyes. of the three two interchanged with each other (threads were the same). alan's everlast and the one i got from ebay but speedkilz's swivel was a different thread...ralph
                            Great analysis, Ralph. Somehow we should all bring together the "female" bases and "male" housings with the ball-eyeshank, and see if we could make a few useable ballhooks.

..or, just get the Deville Ballhook for a lot less trouble. But we seem to have a lot of everlast parts laying around.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

...that's a good idea, i have a suggestion maybe everyone who is going to speedbag III should bring their mismatched everlast swivels...ralph
                              I'd have to mail mine. They'll never get past the metal detectors at the airport.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...