• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old guy newbe
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2012

swivel question

new to the speed bag world here and was wondering if one swivel is easier to hit consistently then another. I am just starting and have an everlast bag with a s hook swivel but it seems to have a lot of play at the ball fitting on top. it seems just a very small mishit seems to knock it off track . Thanks for any help
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by old guy newbe View Post
    new to the speed bag world here and was wondering if one swivel is easier to hit consistently then another. I am just starting and have an everlast bag with a s hook swivel but it seems to have a lot of play at the ball fitting on top. it seems just a very small mishit seems to knock it off track . Thanks for any help
    Basically there are three types of swivels and you can see each at the link I added.

1. Ballhooks

2, Chainlink

3. U-bolts

Each type has it's own nuances and each has it's own advocates. Which one you like is really an acquired personal preference. They are all OK for most speed bag use. Ballhooks are prefered by those who punch consistently from all around the bag, while chainlinks and U-bolts are often deemed "faster" when punching mainly from the front of the bag or front-back (no side techniques)

As for me and my house, we shall follow the ballhook.

If I was the captain of the ballhook fan club, and I guess that would make me "Captain Hook". ( get it... )
    Last edited by Speedbag; 01-28-2012, 12:26 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Basically there are three types of swivels and you can see each at the link I added.

1. Ballhooks

2, Chainlink

3. U-bolts

Each type has it's own nuances and each has it's own advocates. Which one you like is really an acquired personal preference. They are all OK for most speed bag use. Ballhooks are prefered by those who punch consistently from all around the bag, while chainlinks and U-bolts are often deemed "faster" when punching mainly from the front of the bag or front-back (no side techniques)

As for me and my house, we shall follow the ballhook.

If I was the captain of the ballhook fan club, and I guess that makes me "Captain Hook". ( get it... )
      Aye Aye Captain!

Long Live The Ball-Hook.

Comment

• G-Town
        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Power up!

Ball hook all the way! Power that is! Like a clock... tick tock! all around... Like in POWERMILL!

Comment

• old guy newbe
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2012

swivel

Thanks so much guys for all the great information . Like I said I'm new but totally hooked on beating up the bag, but in awe of all the talented baggers on this site. I hope with practice i'll get 1/10th as good as you guys.

Comment

• Prism
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Feb 2012

I started off with a chain link swivel that came with my Everlast speedbag setup, and switched to a U-hook setup after the chain link one flew apart and I couldn't locate the pieces...

The chain link seemed to provide snappier rebounds, but I'm able to keep the bag on a U-hook straight much easier when alternating hands.

Comment

• Allentown
              • Oct 2010

Chainlinks are the fastest but hard to hit. U-Bolts are the second fastest but the easiest to hit. Ball-hooks are the slowest but the hardest to hit.

Sound confusing?

I like them all.

I want to try the Cleto Reyes swivel (It looks like a chain link / U-bolt hybrid). I can 't seem to find one in USA. Ringside use to sell them. They cost a lot of money though.

Comment

• Allentown
                • Oct 2010

Great - Thanks Ralph

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                  ...Allentown i think this site should have the cleto reyes swivel your looking for www.boundboxing.com they also told me awhile back that they would price match on the tri color cleto speed bags to this other site where they cost $69.99 ...ralph
                  Are you talking This Cleto Swivel ?
                  Attached Files
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Python
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Dec 2011

as a super newbie the small bag (to me) and the chain swivel gave me fits. i hated them both. i got a large size bag and a ball swivel and love them. today i tried that same medium bag (i believe) and the chain swivel for kicks and WOW! i think the practice helped a lot because i could not believe how fast the bag was rebounding and the speed and consistency i was able to hit the bag. i am amazed. i love it now!

Comment

• Allentown
                      • Oct 2010

This is the one but I like that one too.

Comment

• Python
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Allentown View Post
                        This is the one but I like that one too.

http://www.boundboxing.com/Cleto-Rey...l-Bearing.html
                        I like this one too, but the price is pretty hard to swallow
                        How much better do you think it can be then a competitors chain swivel for around half the price?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...