X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southtexaskevin
    • Jan 2012

picking a new bag

Unfortunately the bladder on this everlast bag I have now has a leak. But now I have an excuse to get a new one . I have read a lot of people recommend the title bags, but there is a lot to choose from. Just have a few questions. What is the "gyro balanced" all about, title has one on sale right now and its right around my price range. Would this bag be good for a beginner. I have progressed, but still consider myself a beginner. Also, does anyone have any reviews on these bags http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html
    Last edited by southtexaskevin; 01-23-2012, 05:29 PM. Reason: link not working
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by southtexaskevin View Post
    Unfortunately the bladder on this everlast bag I have now has a leak. But now I have an excuse to get a new one . I have read a lot of people recommend the title bags, but there is a lot to choose from. Just have a few questions. What is the "gyro balanced" all about, title has one on sale right now and its right around my price range. Would this bag be good for a beginner. I have progressed, but still consider myself a beginner. Also, does anyone have any reviews on these bags http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html
    Hey Southtexaskevin

I fixed your link inside the "quote". You need to "edit" and drop the .y off the end.

My opinion: The Title brand bags are awesome. Great bags for the price. I hit the red 9x6 and yellow 8x5 all the time.

I also have the Gyro balanced bag. It is really a close knock off from the everlast 4200 9x6. It's a good bag also and worth the money if you're looking to get a "family" of bags. Personally I'd go with their Yellow 8x5 before this gyro 8x5 but that's just me. I like the seams on the yellow better.

I also like these Red Title Classic models. However, they are a bit smaller in size than the "standard title bag" in the first link.

for instance, the Red title classic 9x6 is smaller than the red title "standard" 9x6, and this title classic 9x6 is about the size of the yellow 8x5.

The Red Title Classic 8x5 is a bit smaller than the "standard" yellow title 8x5.

the classic models are also light bags, meaning they feel lighter when you punch them than the others feel. Takes a while to get use to punching lighter bags, which tend to "float" a bit when force is applied.

and I personally just got the Title Pro model and Really like it. Great shape and reaction with a short bag loop (I know it's not the "size of your loop but how it fits on the swivel..." but I prefer the short rebound arc created by a shorter loop. This is a super bag, but you can get a cheaper bag for your needs.

Hope that helps.

if you get bags from Title, mention you were referred from this forum. They are becoming more and more aware of that.... and there is power in numbers.

Last edited by Speedbag; 01-23-2012, 05:05 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• southtexaskevin
      • Jan 2012

Thanks for the info, I believe the one I was hitting on was a 7x10, and I enjoyed it. I'm thinking the black 7x10 or the red 6x9. I will let them know I was sent from the forum when i do order.

Comment

• Python
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Dec 2011

I was looking at that pro model bag too. It looks really nice. I settled for the fighting 7x10 for now. It will come soon. I am open to trying a few different bags in the same size.
        Last edited by Python; 01-23-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• southtexaskevin
          • Jan 2012

Python, I have seen a couple videos with this fighting bag, looks nice to me, let me know how you like it, are you a beginner. I wouldnt mind that pro model, just not in my price range at the moment.

Speedbag, is there a noticeable difference in bags that are gyro balanced than bags that are not. If so do you think it would help or hurt a beginners progress. Does the term "welted seams" mean the seams are kind of recessed in the leather?.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by southtexaskevin View Post
            Python, I have seen a couple videos with this fighting bag, looks nice to me, let me know how you like it, are you a beginner. I wouldnt mind that pro model, just not in my price range at the moment.

Speedbag, is there a noticeable difference in bags that are gyro balanced than bags that are not. If so do you think it would help or hurt a beginners progress. Does the term "welted seams" mean the seams are kind of recessed in the leather?.
            In my opinion, NO the "gyro" term never seemed to make any difference in performance, at least not to my hands. Personally I have never really known exactly what is done to a bag either during it's production or afterward to earn the name "Gyro". I would envision someone spinning the inflated bag on a table or hanging from a swivel to make sure it spins evenly, like the old gyroscope we had as a kid. But somehow I just don't think that happens, and many of the bags that I've seen with "gyro" on them were so mis-shaped they couldn't even sit evenly on the valve when inflated or hang straight from a swivel, let alone spin evenly until it's beaten into shape.

There have basically been two kinds of "seams" on speed bags that hold the panels together, those with a noticeably raised seam (leather or plastic) and those with seam more recessed and not so noticeable to the hands or that will effect the rebound.
            Some bags with the raised seam (including the everlast 4200 and the title Gyro) will often find the panels of the bag more or less protrude a bit going to the plastic or leather bead. In a new bag this may effect the rebound slightly until you beat it flat, which takes a while. For a while Skunk and a few were "shaving" the leather bead down with a razor to make it even with the leather, but I personally never found the need to do that, for they beat down flat around the belly pretty quick. No need to shave it up around the laces because you should never really hit it up that high.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• southtexaskevin
              • Jan 2012

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...