X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southtexaskevin
    • Jan 2012

new to this

Good morning everyone, I'm glad I found this page, it seems to be filled with endless amounts of knowledge on speed bagging. As a beginner, just started Monday, I need all the help i can get.
    I got an everlast freestanding system off Craigslist for what I think is a great price, but i got it for the 100lb heavy bag, but two speed bags were included. After my first workout on the heavy bag I decided to give the speed bag a go, now all i think about is hitting that speed bag, haha. The "drum" if you can even call it that, is pressed wood and wasn't bad but wasn't good, the swivel looks like a cheep chain link but its not bad for a beginner. Both bags are everlast, probably bottom of the line, I have pics I'm gonna try and post, one grayish with yellow seams, has a "L" on it and a red one that didn't seem to rebound well.I started with the grey one and could get it going but would lose controll of the bag, I tried the red one and had better controll but I really had to hit it to get a good rebound, which i liked because I felt a better workout, it just doesn't hold air for long.

After reading some of the older threads I decided some mods were needed. I took two 1/2 inch pieces of plywood and sandwiched the pressed wood between, I was going to leave the original on the bottom, but its not in the best shape. I added two pieces of angle across the top and I'm going to it all together with contact cement for laminate countertops, then bolt it together. Also have a 50lb sand bag for the top.

I just want to ask a few questions. Would it be a bad idea to put screws around the edge to help keep it pressed as the glue dries. I was thinking about putting a wood laminate on the bottom surface for a smooth finish, has anyone ever tried that. And I'm looking to get a new swivel and bag, I don't have a lot of cash to spend so something good, a good size, and not too pricey would be nice.

Thank you,
    Kevin

Can't seem to post pics from my phone but I will continue to try
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm thinking that these may be the bags you're referring to.
    Attached Files

Comment

• southtexaskevin
      • Jan 2012

Thank you, and yes those are them. They weren't taken care of so after 15 min on the red one the material started to peel off. As soon as I get a little extra money I am going to get something a little better. Any idea on the size of these bags.

Comment

• ebozyn
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by southtexaskevin View Post
        Thank you, and yes those are them. They weren't taken care of so after 15 min on the red one the material started to peel off. As soon as I get a little extra money I am going to get something a little better. Any idea on the size of these bags.
        The red one seems to be an 8x11, so if the grey bag is smaller it could be a 6x9, or 7x10. If it's the same size you may have two 8x11s.
        Attached Files

Comment

• southtexaskevin
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
          The red one seems to be an 8x11, so if the grey bag is smaller it could be a 6x9, or 7x10. If it's the same size you may have two 8x11s.
          Thank you, the grey one is a little fatter in the belly, but they both are the same length. I'm gonna try and put up a few pics of the mods I've done. And maybe a few videos, I'm guessing I have to get to a computer to do it because my phone isn't letting me.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...