X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Glad to see another Narragansett platform saved. They are without a doubt the Pierce Arrows of striking bag platforms.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by gfe76 View Post
      Here are pics of the nge platform. I bought it for $400. He would not take $350 (I initially offered him $250). It works fine..I have not put it up yet. The drum has damage to center where the old swivel was attached. Seemed like someone tried to hang a heavy bag from it and it tore through the drum..and probably no one used washers on the bolts coming thru top. I plan on cutting out the damaged area with a jig saw and making a 3" x 3" plug to patch it, with a 2x4, 8" long board on topside to "anchor" the plug. Then I will attach new swivel to plug. Any idea what this thing weighs? 150#? 200#?
      The drum is 36" diam. Length is 40". Width is 22". I wish the drum were smaller, but if you look at backside of drum you can see cast iron arms are so long that I can't go with much smaller drum. Thanks for all the comments/ideas.
      Pretty stupid to hang a heavy bag from a speed bag swivel. I remember in the 70's at Memphis State we use to stick matches up into the swivel holes with the hopes to keep the screws in for a while. The screws would always get jarred around and press on the wood around them until they fell out.

That is why I always put bolts through the wood to (and always use washers). As I remember the wood on those types of units was kind of soft also.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by gfe76 View Post
        ...plan on refinishing the drum and sanding (wish I could sandblast) the metal, then repaint it black---will take the drum off, but not sure if I am going to disassemble the frame.
        I had the parts on mine sandblasted lightly (with walnut shells) and powder-coated. Came out really nice. I just used a very light steelwool to get some of the years of grime off the drum and then rubbed it down with Murphy's Oil Soap...it brought it right back without losing the original look of the finish.
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Bag Man
          • Jan 2011

For what it’s worth:

There is no need to sandblast/sand/paint. The cast metal parts on this were not painted originally; they used a process that I believe was called “japanning.”

Take off the wood and have it repaired/cleaned/polished. A bucket of hot water, some Dawn dish detergent, and a nylon bristled brush should be all that you need to clean the metal. If not, an industrial solvent; as a last resort steel wool or a soft wire brush. If the mechanism works, there is no need to disassemble. After cleaning, some WD-40 will do just fine. If you want to shine the cast metal parts use a good wax; car wax would likely work.

You want to conserve this piece, not make it look new. The more you “do” to it, the more you will decrease its value. Your piece is in good shape; it will clean up nicely, look fine, and function for years to come.

At least try my suggestions first. If you don’t like the results, you can always unpack your blowtorch and go medieval.

Trust the Bag Man, he knows all about these things.

Steve
          "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Yes, I believe the Narragansett catalog said the metal was japanned.

Japanning

`
            Last edited by paranday; 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• gfe76
              • Dec 2011

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially Bag Man....I plan on doing just minimum "refurbishing." The worm drive works well and nothing is broken except for the drum. PLease be patient concerning future photos. I can't pick it up until week after next and I have a busy winter. I will get the drum repaired correctly.

Comment

• Bag Man
                • Jan 2011

You are more than welcome.

It comes from my own hard earned experience. You will be pleased with the result.

Steve
                "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• topfist
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Dec 2012

I have one of these platforms, & I am inclined to sell mine.
                  The story on it was it was donated to the Bridgeport, CT YMCA by a professional fighter in the 50's. I can't prove it, but I believe it because I did get it from the Y. If you would like to buy it, shoot me an offer. It breaks my heart to sell it.

Comment

• Zaza
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2011

Sent a PM already!
                    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...