X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

The Ten Commandments of Speed Bagging?

I have noticed an influx of activity and new people on the forum these past few months. It seems more and more people are discovering speed bagging (or re-discovering it, in some cases). And in turn, have found this message board.

So, I just came across something in a previous thread that I feel deserves attention, and I think newbies might find these "10 Commandments of Speed Bagging" (no blasphemy intended) very helpful.

Here is the original thread: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2458

I thought this list deserves to be in a Thread by itself. I hope you don't mind that I have highjacked this, Tim.

In the thread, this is what Tim came up with for the Ten Commandments of Speed Bagging:

The 10 Commandments of Speed Bagging

1. thou shalt keep your elbows and hands up, do not punch from waist level

2. thou shalt develop control before speed or power

3. thou shalt not blame the equipment when a lack of practice is the root cause. (I've seen a lot of "defective" bags miraculously repair themselves after about 2 weeks of daily punching

4. thou shalt hang thy bag such that the belly (or fattest part) is at mouth level, for this is the most productive position for "pass throughs"

5. thou shall master thy basic rhythm before attempting to progress to super advanced punching

6. Over time, thou shall not limit thine striking to the knuckles only, and will use copious amounts of side punches, circle punch, elbows, etc. as your abilities progress

7. thou shall not make a figure eight motion while linking, but instead will pass the fists "straight through" the bag

8. thou shall not attempt to pop thine bladder, for this renders the bag useless and demonstrates little of value

9. thou shalt share selflessly your newfound skills and abilities with others eager to learn

10. thou shalt only use a ball hook swivel, composed of metal, for it is the only true swivel for punching. Do not worship the false idol swivels (aka the U Bolt and Chain link).

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Somehow I either missed this originally or forgot to post on it. It's a good idea and I would offer a few changes. These are just my opinion only and not any better or worse than those offered.

1. Thou Shalt honor thy Bag, Swivel and Board, and treat them with respect. (could add: and do not attempt to damage or destroy any part purposely for any reason. (eliminates #8)

2. Thou shalt hang the bag such that the belly (or fattest part) is at the level of the mouth for this is the most optimal position to "pass your fists through the bag" to punch from another side, if you want.

3. Thou shalt strive to maintain optimal body position, keeping your elbows and hands raised to avoid punching upward from waist level.

4. Thou shalt honor the rules of rhythm.

5. thou shalt master the basic rhythm before attempting more advanced or super advanced punching combinations.

6. Thou shalt learn the technique names and know the difference between techniques and combinations.

7. Thou shalt punch straight through the bag when linking, and strive not make an exagerrated figure eight motion, for this is wasteful and leads to mis hits.

8. thou shalt not blame the equipment when a lack of practice is the root cause of poor bag performance or errant rebounds (a lot of "defective" bags miraculously repair themselves after about 2 weeks of daily punching)

9. Over time, thou shall not limit thine striking to the knuckles only, and will use copious amounts of side punches, circle punch, elbows, etc. as your abilities progress

10. thou shalt always strive to share your newfound skills and abilities with others eager to learn

* I would not identify any particular swivel in a commandment (#10) anymore than I would recommend a bag to be "teardrop" and not bannana shaped. A "Swivel" is a key part of a set-up, and although the ballhook is optimal for hitting from all around the bag, not everyone wants to do that.

Just a thought. with the advancement of vertical bagging, some of these would have to change due to bag position, etc.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Johnny O
      • Apr 2011

Well, Alan is the writer of the bible... I like his inspired revision.

amen

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Johnny O View Post
        Well, Alan is the writer of the bible... I like his inspired revision.

amen
        it takes a village, and this is always open to revision. Even that "other Bible" has been tweeked through the ages.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          it takes a village, and this is always open to revision. Even that "other Bible" has been tweeked through the ages.
          Yes, there are many versions and interpretations of the "other bible," for instance, the King James version...

But, for the speed baggers bible, we have the King Kahn version.

And we give thanks every day...

Thanks, Alan, for your dedication to this fabulous sport!
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
            Yes, there are many versions and interpretations of the "other bible," for instance, the King James version...

But, for the speed baggers bible, we have the King Kahn version.

And we give thanks every day...

Thanks, Alan, for your dedication to this fabulous sport!
            thanks Dee. this may sound corny, but I did it all to find folks like you and all these other forum members. I knew (strongly hoped) they were out there, loving this little bag and perhaps waiting for some guide to explain and help them learn more.

The end result of that has not only been the reward of finding this baggin' community but the joy of watching some take it to the next level, presenting unique combinations and variations I never thought of. How Dare them! Now I'm back where I started, under that board working on specific skills that others do with ease and I'm still struggling with.

You'll be glad to know that I've finally got a bit of control on that reverse front roll. It's been a booger, for my brain just doesn't want to compute those punches coming from under the other fist. (very unnatural to me). Also that upward Front Double Punch (FDP) you do. Looks really cool and very hard for my 40+ years of doing it "my way". Maybe I should post a picture of my "workout combo's". Yes, I actually do write out the combo's I want to work on, particularly when there are so many new ones I want to have competence with....
            Last edited by Speedbag; 10-26-2011, 12:05 AM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

You'll be glad to know that I've finally got a bit of control on that reverse front roll. It's been a booger, for my brain just doesn't want to compute those punches coming from under the other fist. (very unnatural to me). Also that upward Front Double Punch (FDP) you do. Looks really cool and very hard for my 40+ years of doing it "my way". Maybe I should post a picture of my "workout combo's". Yes, I actually do write out the combo's I want to work on, particularly when there are so many new ones I want to have competence with....
              Thank God! I thought it was just me... I keep working on the reverse front roll...but I can't wrap my brain around it. I don't know what it is, it just doesn't come naturally to me. Everyone I see doing it makes it look so easy!

Back to the....punching board....
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                Thank God! I thought it was just me... I keep working on the reverse front roll...but I can't wrap my brain around it. I don't know what it is, it just doesn't come naturally to me. Everyone I see doing it makes it look so easy!

Back to the....punching board....
                I know how you feel. I don't worry about Skunk, I'm pretty sure he's an alien from another planet and I'm really starting to worry about ebozyn ( kind of mysterious, not showing his face....hmmmm) but I can't believe how many others are zippy off into this stuff. Man to be 40 again...
                Last edited by Speedbag; 10-30-2011, 06:01 PM.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

I don't worry about Skunk, I'm pretty sure he's an alien from another planet and I'm really starting to worry about ebozyn ( kind of mysterious, not showing his face....hmmmm) ...
                  True that!
                  Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                  http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Inkspill
                    • Dec 2010

I don't know if it should be a commandment, but I worked on bringing my elbows down to avoid shoulder pain, which takes some adjusting, and when I roll I still bring my elbows up. I've noticed loss of pain, plus it brings a new dimension into play.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Inkspill View Post
                      I don't know if it should be a commandment, but I worked on bringing my elbows down to avoid shoulder pain, which takes some adjusting, and when I roll I still bring my elbows up. I've noticed loss of pain, plus it brings a new dimension into play.
                      Adjusting elbow/arm position and swinging movements to reduce pain is always a good idea. I might add that it is also a matter of personal preference. It has always been my opinion that the elevated elbow(s) is the most efficient arm position for passing a fist(s) directly through the bag and back, keeping the fist(s) on as straight a line as possible and reducing any other "arm adjusting motions" while doing that. I have also thought it was the quickest, most efficient position to have the elbows ready for elbow strikes, for it they are already up at the level of the bag it reduces the distance needed to bring the elbow to the bag in a technique using the elbow. The one thing that is certain is: The elbow cannot hit a horizontal speed bag if it is "down" next to the waist. At the point of contact, it must be raised up. (not true on vertical bag).

But keeping the elbows raised is clearly not the only way. Some of the fastest and most controlled baggers I've seen lately do not keep the elbows up for most combinations, and it does not seem to effect their speed or control at all. Some of the fastest, most amazing fist combinations I've seen have the bagger holding the elbows very low, windmilling from the elbows.

As most "aging baggers" already know, the older, life worn, perhaps injury scarred shoulder joint does not like to remain raised for any length of time, and I can pretty much guarentee that as your shoulders resisted being raised you will lower your use of elbow strikes. (at least that is what I have been told.....)

So for a "low elbow bagger" who keeps having punches hit "a bit late" on the bag, try raising the elbows a bit and see what happens.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...