• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FourKings
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2011

Hello from Germany - beginners questions

Hello my friends from all over the world,

I am new here, and do not speak english natively, so I hope you can understand me properly. If something I write is unclear please ask me so I can change it to the better.

I am Rick from Germany and doing boxing and martial arts since a few years. This is my background because we used to have a speed ball platform at my last boxing gym but we never used it regularly there in training.

What I see here looks beautiful and very interesting but because I live in a house where also a few other families live (do not know how thats called in english language) I do not have the chance to own a platform of my own.

So one of my questions is because I would really like to do this kind of sport. Are here other people who have the same "problem"? If yes, how do you solved it? I guess there can`t be a speedball solution which is very quiet so it would be ok in this house.

I hope I am also welcome even if I do not have a speedball platform and cannot give much information and knowledge to the community.

So, thank you for your time taking for reading my text and have a nice day everyone.

Rick
  • jumpcannon
    Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Hello! I spent a few months in Oldenburg with the falshimjaigers (german paratroopers).....i know i spelled that wrong! Welcome to the forum.
    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Welcome! Lots of great information & great people here.
      Cheers,
      -Zaza
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Welcome to the forum, FourKings. Know that you are accepted regardless of your age, skill level, gender, nationality, or equipment. Anyone who hits the speedbag is welcome here.

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Herzlich Willkommen !

Originally posted by FourKings View Post
          What I see here looks beautiful and very interesting but because I live in a house where also a few other families live (do not know how thats called in english language) I do not have the chance to own a platform of my own.

So one of my questions is because I would really like to do this kind of sport. Are here other people who have the same "problem"? If yes, how do you solved it? I guess there can`t be a speedball solution which is very quiet so it would be ok in this house.
          Some people have their platform in a garage. Others attach the platform to a tree.

Some have a freestanding platform inside their house -- not attached to the wall or ceiling. This may be more quiet if you are on the ground floor. If you have a basement, possibly you can attach the platform to a cement or brick wall, and this may be less noisy.

A very thick wooden drum and a u-bolt swivel may be quieter combination.

Or, if nothing else works, and if it is possible, hit the speed ball when nobody else is home.

Some forum members here have the same problem, hope they'll speak up.

MfG,

Jim

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2010

Welcome to the forum! If you have garage or storage shed, you could mount a platform there. I see paranday posted the scissorhand tree mounted platform. There are definitely some options for you! Enjoy the speed bag journey!
            Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hello and welcome to the forum. Yes there are a few ways to hang a platform or modify it to "reduce the noise" but unfortunately you will never completetly eliminate it.

"Living in a house with a few other families" would probably be an Apartment Complex in America. These are problematic for using a speed bag because of noise and vibration disturbing other residents. A tree unit or garage might be a better idea.

Good Luck and welcome.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

Welcome FourKings! You live in an apartment building. I have a similar living situation. Do you have a garage? If so, do you have to share with your neighbors or is it yours? If it's yours, you can put your speed bag there. You couls also invest in a freestanding Speed/Heavy bag unit from Century or Everlast for relatively cheap. I see some of our other members have posted suggestions for you as well. Good luck and let us know what you do!
                sigpic

Comment

• FourKings
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jun 2011

Hey everybody,

Thank you for your kindness!

Yes it is something like an apartment building/complex. Unfortunately I do not have a garden or a garage here. Only a balcony. And with something like 18 other families and my fiance and I, there is not a real change to find a time where nobody but I is in the complex. But thank you again for your helpful suggestions. I think I will have to rent a garage somewhere in this region where I probably can hang a speedball and heavy bag. But then again it will be hard to get a relatively cheap solution.

Thank you for reading.

Rick

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

FourKings, I live in an apartment and do some punching. Besides the noise, mounting a bag is a problem. A free standing platform would be best to isolate noise from traveling through walls. I live on the end of a hallway near the elevators and actually my walk in closet was originally planned to be an elevator shaft. I tipped an old sturdy dresser on it's side and mounted a platform to the top, stuffed it full of old cloths and blankets and put weight on the dresser and board. I have to sit on the floor since it's not very tall. I haven't had any con plaints but then I don't bag when people will be sleeping. Some people have mounted a board to the back side of their vehicle so you can drive to a park or empty lot and bag, weather permitting. Good luck, where there's a will there's a way. Keep us posted.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...