• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
    Yeah thought it would be a good idea. I can remember coming here a few months back, and one of the main reasons I did was to find tips on gear. Everyone here seems to rally behind cleto, fighting, and ringside. Though in terms of freestyle bagging their are just certain bags with more bounce that were designed for it. I will think about what categories to put up and try to do a poll then.
    IMO you are probably over thinking this. I'll bet no speed bag was ever "designed" for one type of workout, for there is actually very little difference in workout styles, at least from the bag's point of view. I don't think the amount of "bounce" designed into a bag by the makers has anything to do with work out style as much as it does material choices. In fact, I'd bet that Most makers don't have a clue about "workout styles". They just design a product to certain specs, and the user decides what to do with it.

You can use "boxing style" or "Freestyle" (Bible Style ?) punching on any bag with equal proficiency, and the only difference (to me, anyway) is personal preference of the user. For instance, I like shorter bags per size with a flatter bag belly, which leaves less bag under the belly point. I can certainly do my "freestyle" punching on a longer bananna shaped bag, but I just like the action of the short-fat bags better. On the other hand, Speedbagskunk often uses a small everlast bag that is thinner and longer (bananna) per size and he doesn't have any trouble doing what he does on it, or any other bag for that matter. He makes any bag look good. Personally if I'm going to just "punch from the front" for power or pass time I would probably use a larger bag, regardless of shape.

anyway, JMO, and a poll would be cool to see what others think.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Hannibal
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      IMO you are probably over thinking this. I'll bet no speed bag was ever "designed" for one type of workout, for there is actually very little difference in workout styles, at least from the bag's point of view. I don't think the amount of "bounce" designed into a bag by the makers has anything to do with work out style as much as it does material choices. In fact, I'd bet that Most makers don't have a clue about "workout styles". They just design a product to certain specs, and the user decides what to do with it.

You can use "boxing style" or "Freestyle" (Bible Style ?) punching on any bag with equal proficiency, and the only difference (to me, anyway) is personal preference of the user. For instance, I like shorter bags per size with a flatter bag belly, which leaves less bag under the belly point. I can certainly do my "freestyle" punching on a longer bananna shaped bag, but I just like the action of the short-fat bags better. On the other hand, Speedbagskunk often uses a small everlast bag that is thinner and longer (bananna) per size and he doesn't have any trouble doing what he does on it, or any other bag for that matter. He makes any bag look good. Personally if I'm going to just "punch from the front" for power or pass time I would probably use a larger bag, regardless of shape.

anyway, JMO, and a poll would be cool to see what others think.
      Yeah I was referring to the fact that their are bags that we all know have a bit more bounce, and some that perform better for bible style bagging or free style bagging as I refer to it. Anyways, take the cleto bags for instance compared to an elite everlast you can say that cleto due to the latex bladders have greater bounce. Way better than the elites for freestyle bagging. Just as my Ringside ultra rebound whoops on my title for boxing style bag workouts. Let's take away masters like skunk, and look at the common bagger though. The beginner. Their are certain pieces of equipment in the speed bag world that could benefit them more. Such as to begin with latex vs. rubber bladders. Rubber bladders are good for beginners, but in my opinion latex is a step up in skill and speed. I prefer latex now as it helps me improve my timing on my combos and such when sparring or on the pads/bags. It is just so sad that companies don't listen to sites like this one more often when designing equipment. I have seen more imagination in this room than I have seen by ringside and title boxing companies with their gloves or bags for quit some time. That is just my opinion though. Maybe too complicated, but ahh I am just biased and think for new people you all have the best recommendations bar none.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...