• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Speedbag Noob Zaza here!

Just a quick intro from a total noob... Hi all, Zaza here.

I just joined a week of so ago and have been getting a feel for the forum before posting. Seems like a great bunch of 'baggers' and a wealth of information. I thought I'd start by showing you my very cheap, but REALLY solid platform I built in the basement. It cost all of about $15.00 in leftover 2x6's, a 24"x24" piece of MDF (that I painted black...cause it's cool!) and a bunch of 3.5" sheetrock screws. It is really solid, but let me just say, I have to straighten all the pictures on the wall upstairs after a workout.

You can see all the pictures here:

I also want to thank Ralph for the great Ringside bags...LOVE them all. He's a great guy and you can't beat his prices & service. I bought a whole set. These are quality bags & much easier on the hands then the Everlast Durahide (Ouch)

...and I JUST got the PowerMill Swivel from JumpCannon today...SWEEEET! Can't wait to get using that too. Yet another great guy who does top-quality work.

I've been banging away for one month now and have taken to it pretty good (IMHO). I'm more of a 'workout' kind of guy, but might one day venture into the fancy stuff. I hate to post video because frankly...you guys & gals are really good! Look for some soon though as I'd love to get advice. My next purchase is the Speedbag Bible (I'm getting there Mr. Kahn...standby for an order soon).

So there you have it....I'm in...and I'm already addicted. Thanks to Tim for creating the great forum, it got me started and diggin' the speedbag! Please look for my friend requests.

Best,
    -Zaza
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
    Just a quick intro from a total noob... Hi all, Zaza here.
    Welcome to the foruM!

I just joined a week of so ago and have been getting a feel for the forum before posting. Seems like a great bunch of 'baggers' and a wealth of information. I thought I'd start by showing you my very cheap, but REALLY solid platform I built in the basement. It cost all of about $15.00 in leftover 2x6's, a 24"x24" piece of MDF (that I painted black...cause it's cool!) and a bunch of 3.5" sheetrock screws. It is really solid, but let me just say, I have to straighten all the pictures on the wall upstairs after a workout.
    Looks great, and economical as well. One of the great things about this hobby is the minimal $$$ outlay it takes to get started.

I also want to thank Ralph for the great Ringside bags...LOVE them all. He's a great guy and you can't beat his prices & service. I bought a whole set. These are quality bags & much easier on the hands then the Everlast Durahide (Ouch)
    There ain't no going back to the cheap-o bags once you've hit on the good stuff. Is that one on the far right the "round" 7x4 bag?

...and I JUST got the PowerMill Swivel from JumpCannon today...SWEEEET! Can't wait to get using that too. Yet another great guy who does top-quality work.
    The first few minutes or days on the powermill will be a humbling experience (prepare your ego now). But it will be worth it in the long run as it requires greater precision and control of force. You will become a better bagger because of it. Punching on a u-bolt is like running a marathon on a electric scooter (no offense to u-bolt folks, but it does make it too easy IMO - that said, I do frequently punch on a u-bolt style swivel).

I've been banging away for one month now and have taken to it pretty good (IMHO). I'm more of a 'workout' kind of guy, but might one day venture into the fancy stuff. I hate to post video because frankly...you guys & gals are really good! Look for some soon though as I'd love to get advice. My next purchase is the Speedbag Bible (I'm getting there Mr. Kahn...standby for an order soon).
    Once you lay down a few elbows on the bag you'll be hooked. Many people start by saying they just want to punch boxing style, but bible style is just too much fun to NOT do. It may seem un-natural at first, all that side punching, elbows, double bumps, etc. but after a while it feels just right.

So there you have it....I'm in...and I'm already addicted. Thanks to Tim for creating the great forum, it got me started and diggin' the speedbag! Please look for my friend requests.

Best,
    -Zaza
    Friend request received. Also would like to mention to all our new members ... we have SPEED B.A.G. II coming up in June. If you want to meet some of the best people in the world AND have a lot of speed bag fun , try to make it! Zaza - looks like you are upstate NY, it ain't too far to get to NJ!!! Consider that your personal invite!

Comment

• ExEODCDR
      • Apr 2011

Newbie Too!

Funny-- I'm in the same boat. I got an Everlast Te:L and a U-bolt swivel last week. I'm building a platform in my garage. I got a 24" diameter piece of pine from Home Depot and did some fancy inlay work to spruce it up. Added some stain and varnish (kind of a part time carpenter...). I've got to design and build the mount yet. I'll post pics soon. I like your set up. Does it seem stable when you're working it?

I'm mostly a runner/triathlete but am changing up my workouts a bit. I did some boxing when I was a cadet at West Point but that was almost 20 years ago... wow... So I just hung a heavy bag, pulled out my jump rope and am getting back to basics with the workouts... Looking forward to adding a speed bag to mix things up. Seeing all the posts here gets me fired up! Thanks for the info ya'll!

-
      Owner/Operator
      www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• 08speed3
        • Dec 2010

Welcome! thats a solid platform you got there! good job!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by ExEODCDR View Post
          I'm mostly a runner/triathlete but am changing up my workouts a bit. I did some boxing when I was a cadet at West Point but that was almost 20 years ago... wow... So I just hung a heavy bag, pulled out my jump rope and am getting back to basics with the workouts... Looking forward to adding a speed bag to mix things up. Seeing all the posts here gets me fired up! Thanks for the info ya'll!

Welcome to the forums. Where in florida are you at? I'm in Orlando and Skunk is in Lake City

Comment

• ExEODCDR
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            Welcome to the forums. Where in florida are you at? I'm in Orlando and Skunk is in Lake City
            I'm in St Augustine, work in Jacksonville. Y'all are close! I've been watching some videos of you guys... dang... amazing stuff! I'm gonna be just happy to try and get some rhythm down... might need to get a copy of your speedbag bible!

I just got my board finished and hung today, gonna go home tonight after work and start practicing! I gotta give props to this forum, bunch of good folks, lot of positivity. I talked with Ralph last night and he gave me some good tips on bags and building another board.

I used a 24" diameter piece of pine ($20 at Lowed), inlayed with some Brazilian rosewood in a cross pattern, sanded and finished with urethane, mounted with a 2x4 frame I built onto 8x8s in between my two garage doors. There's a 2x4 box on the top for reinforcement a to put a sandbag in. Total cost was $20 for the pine, rest of the wood, varnish, and sandpaper was left over from other projects. Everlast bag and pro swivel from Play-it-again sports. It's a good start I think... but those Cleto bags look cool... Jumpmaster has some swivels in stock, but those kinda scare me!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ExEODCDR; 04-12-2011, 06:41 PM.
            -
            Owner/Operator

Comment

• spd20
              • Apr 2011

Zaza, thanks so much! This is excellent. I believe I'll be copying your setup.

I think I'm only going to need 2 or 3, 2(1-1/2)x4s underneath the joist to bring it to the correct height.

A couple of questions to you and/or anyone who may know. ...come to think of it you've basically already answered it. Apparently with that much support built into it, only 1 piece of mdf was needed. I cut out 2 pieces of 3/4" mdf into circles. If at all possible, I'd like to create 2 platforms...but if it's not enough I'm good with bonding the two pieces into one unit.

Is that mdf 1/2"?

Was there any gluing involved or did you just use the drywall screws?

Is that regular black paint on the mdf? I was thinking about using a spar urethane on it that I already have. Either way I know it has to be coated with something to limit any moisture from bloating the mdf.

Thanks again. Great stuff. Like the resources here as well to know who to get stuff from too. Bookmarked thread.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I'm in St Augustine, work in Jacksonville. Y'all are close! I've been watching some videos of you guys... dang... amazing stuff! I'm gonna be just happy to try and get some rhythm down... might need to get a copy of your speedbag bible!
                Maybe we can get together at Skunk's place sometime.

That's Alan's speed bag bible, PM him (member speedbag) and he'll give you a fantastic discount on an AUTOGRAPHED copy. Highly recommend if you dig the bag.

I just got my board finished and hung today, gonna go home tonight after work and start practicing! I gotta give props to this forum, bunch of good folks, lot of positivity. I talked with Ralph last night and he gave me some good tips on bags and building another board.

I used a 24" diameter piece of pine ($20 at Lowed), inlayed with some Brazilian rosewood in a cross pattern, sanded and finished with urethane, mounted with a 2x4 frame I built onto 8x8s in between my two garage doors. There's a 2x4 box on the top for reinforcement a to put a sandbag in. Total cost was $20 for the pine, rest of the wood, varnish, and sandpaper was left over from other projects. Everlast bag and pro swivel from Play-it-again sports. It's a good start I think... but those Cleto bags look cool... Jumpmaster has some swivels in stock, but those kinda scare me!
                The board looks great!

Jump's swivels are highly recommended. Start with one now and you'll never miss the everlast pro ...

Comment

• paranday
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2009

Jump's swivels are highly recommended. Start with one now and you'll never miss the everlast pro ...
                  The Powermill ball hook is a great teacher. It responds audibly to the slightest punching error and lets you know. Perfection.

Last edited by paranday; 04-15-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• ExEODCDR
                    • Apr 2011

Swivel!

Tim, the board works well, just need a sandbag on top. The wife said the sound echos through the house, despite being mounted to the external garage beams. I'd love to get together with you and skunk, but I feel like Garth from "Wayne's World" - I'm not worthy!!! Give me a few weeks, I'll read the Speedbag Bible a few times, get my rhythm down, and then we can link up! I'm a visual learner, so seeing you guys pounding first hand would help my technique! Lake City isn't that far, and I'm about 2 hrs from Orlando... I appreciate the invite! We'll set something up.

I was on the fence with JumpCannon's swivel, but I hit for 2 hours last night and then read the posts and think I'll just do it. JumpCannon said he hated it at first, but sounds like it made him better in the long run.

Is it bad that I'm thinking about taking my Everlast swivel and making a board to secretly place in a backroom at work so I can sneak back and hit on breaks?!?!
                    -
                    Owner/Operator

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

Sorry to all for the delay in responding... I've been out of town on business with no internet access. Playing catch-up now and will reply to all questions shortly.

Thanks,
                      -Zaza

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

Welcome to the foruM!
                        Thanks Tim!

Is that one on the far right the "round" 7x4 bag?
                        Yes...it's a sweet little bag.

The first few minutes or days on the powermill will be a humbling experience (prepare your ego now). But it will be worth it in the long run as it requires greater precision and control of force. You will become a better bagger because of it. Punching on a u-bolt is like running a marathon on a electric scooter (no offense to u-bolt folks, but it does make it too easy IMO - that said, I do frequently punch on a u-bolt style swivel).
                        You had me scared Tim. I just replaced the u-bolt swivel and I have to say, I had no problem switching over. WAY better swivel....I totally understand the difference now. The only problem I have now is I get going so fast I lose control (That's what she said...)! I love how easy it is to switch bags too. Jumpcannon does great work.

Once you lay down a few elbows on the bag you'll be hooked. Many people start by saying they just want to punch boxing style, but bible style is just too much fun to NOT do. It may seem un-natural at first, all that side punching, elbows, double bumps, etc. but after a while it feels just right.
                        Again... I'm sure you're right.

Friend request received. Also would like to mention to all our new members ... we have SPEED B.A.G. II coming up in June. If you want to meet some of the best people in the world AND have a lot of speed bag fun , try to make it! Zaza - looks like you are upstate NY, it ain't too far to get to NJ!!! Consider that your personal invite!
                        New Jersey...what exit!

Comment

• Zaza
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2011

Funny-- I'm in the same boat. I got an Everlast Te:L and a U-bolt swivel last week. I'm building a platform in my garage. I got a 24" diameter piece of pine from Home Depot and did some fancy inlay work to spruce it up. Added some stain and varnish (kind of a part time carpenter...). I've got to design and build the mount yet. I'll post pics soon. I like your set up. Does it seem stable when you're working it?
                          Nice platform! Yes, my set-up is rock solid, not one millimeter of movement.

Comment

• Zaza
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by spd20 View Post
                            Zaza, thanks so much! This is excellent. I believe I'll be copying your setup.
                            Excellent!

I think I'm only going to need 2 or 3, 2(1-1/2)x4s underneath the joist to bring it to the correct height.
                            I used 2x6's. They offer great support and give you a bit more to screw into.

Is that mdf 1/2"?
                            It's 3/4" thick mdf.

Was there any gluing involved or did you just use the drywall screws?
                            Just screws...first board into the joist...second board into the first...and so on...

Is that regular black paint on the mdf? I was thinking about using a spar urethane on it that I already have. Either way I know it has to be coated with something to limit any moisture from bloating the mdf.
                            It's just plain flat black latex paint.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I'd love to get together with you and skunk, but I feel like Garth from "Wayne's World" - I'm not worthy!!! Give me a few weeks, I'll read the Speedbag Bible a few times, get my rhythm down, and then we can link up! I'm a visual learner, so seeing you guys pounding first hand would help my technique! Lake City isn't that far, and I'm about 2 hrs from Orlando... I appreciate the invite! We'll set something up.
                              Sure man, no sweat. We're a friendly bunch ... no egos involved. Skunk and I get together a few times a year, I'll give you a heads up next time and perhaps by then you'll be a 'bag master'!!!!! I really wish we had more Florida people, if we did we could have a mini speed bag convention in FL every year... maybe some day. If you think baggin' is fun solo, just wait until you have 3, 4, 5, or 15 baggers going at the same time

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                              New Jersey...what exit!
                              I'm not sure because I used GPS to get there ALl the details are at http://speedbagII.com , including a google map. Mark your calendar now!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...