• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scipio
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2011

Height

Hello everyone, My question is How high should the speedbag be? should it be eye level or higher? I stand 5"8 so before I install it I'd like to know first. Thanks, this is one cool forum.
  • jumpcannon
    Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

The fattest part of the bag (belly) should be about even with your jaw.
    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
      The fattest part of the bag (belly) should be about even with your jaw.
      I agree. This position makes it easiest to pass the fist(s) directly through the bag to another side.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Scipio
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2011

thanks alot gentlemen.

Comment

• tryme
          • Mar 2010

alot of people say the fattest part should be in line with you nose. why do you guys suggest jaw?

Comment

• Inkspill
            • Dec 2010

From my observation, to hit the correct striking surface with bag alignment at your nose, you have to lift your arms and shoulders, so you're holding your arms above a natural height.

when you raise your elbows up to correct position, there is no need to cause unnecessary strain or possible injury by then lifting your arms & shoulders above a natural position.

You'll find after awhile in this position your arms will drift down to natural position anyway. Your neck or shoulders strain and start to hurt, so as you work you will naturally drop your arms and shoulders to relieve this strain, usually unconscious to the bagger unless they have an instructor/observer, or are really aware and in touch with their body, which is rare in this modern age of the sedentary lifestyle and the western lack of focus on healthy body mind connection

Originally posted by tryme View Post
            alot of people say the fattest part should be in line with you nose. why do you guys suggest jaw?
            Last edited by Inkspill; 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM. Reason: corrected spelling.

Comment

• sparrky37
              • Jan 2010

I've gone off of the suggestion of belly fat even with mouth. I also think that an inch here, or inch there for personal comfort is ok as well. This post sounds wrong!

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Yeah, as Alan mentioned, even with your mouth. And yes, like josh said, a little up or down (personal preference). I know skunk likes it even lower (skunk will tear it up nomatter what the height is), as long as his head fits under the board. I think it's tough do do elbow work if it's too high.
                T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
                  I've gone off of the suggestion of belly fat even with mouth. I also think that an inch here, or inch there for personal comfort is ok as well. This post sounds wrong!
                  It might sound wrong but you typed it with conviction!

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
                  Yeah, as Alan mentioned, even with your mouth. And yes, like josh said, a little up or down (personal preference). I know skunk likes it even lower (skunk will tear it up nomatter what the height is), as long as his head fits under the board. I think it's tough do do elbow work if it's too high.
                  Actually you are right, as long as your head fits under the board you can hit almost any size bag pretty well. I sometimes catch myself adjusting the board down so the bag belly is at my throat, which makes it easier on bad shoulders.

And the truth is: IF you hold your arm up parallel with your fist at the level of the shoulder, and you extend "straight out" with the fist, the bag belly would also be close to the level of the shoulder - and this will also work for the fists, however you may have to duck down a bit when using a downward elbow movement, otherwise the fist (pinkie area) may clip the board. Outward or Inward Elbows will work in this position just fine.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...