X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoRattler
    • Sep 2009

Eye protection.

So this last weekend I picked up my second piece of shrapnel off of a swivel in the last five months. Both metal shavings, both lodged in my cornea, both removed bye evil men with tiny icepicks and miniscule dremel tools. Both coincided with new swivels being placed on my board as well.

I just wore through the carabiner on my old plastic ballhook, so I threw a new one up since I have a bunch laying around. First hitting session.....blamo. Metal object in one of my eyes.

I tend to spend a lot of time under the board, as most of us do. So I am assuming this will be a life long issue, and that I need to protect myself, especially my sight.

Thoughts? Right now I'm just using some safety glasses that I have around for grinding and whatnot in my garage. I don't know that I've seen anyone else wearing protection, aside from Skunk chilling in his sunglasses at night.....
  • crapshoot
    • Apr 2010

Can you tell where on the carabiner it came off? Are they the same brand/purchased the same time?

I ask, because that is either a manufacturing defect or the carabiners aren't meant to be used like that (eye bolt against carabiner; unlikely case) or the shape is wrong.

Really weird, but glad it didn't turn out worse.

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Wow, RR, sorry to hear about the double whammy. Thankfully, all is OK now, right??? I would continue to wear the safety glasses until you can find and/or fix the cause of the shavings.

I tend to agree with crapshoot on the carabiner. Good luck on that and keep us posted.

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Any improved swivel design needs to eliminate this problem entirely. There is no excuse for shrapnel whatsoever, in my not so humble opinion.

Comment

• RenoRattler
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
          Can you tell where on the carabiner it came off? Are they the same brand/purchased the same time?

I ask, because that is either a manufacturing defect or the carabiners aren't meant to be used like that (eye bolt against carabiner; unlikely case) or the shape is wrong.

Really weird, but glad it didn't turn out worse.
          Originally posted by Biff View Post
          Wow, RR, sorry to hear about the double whammy. Thankfully, all is OK now, right??? I would continue to wear the safety glasses until you can find and/or fix the cause of the shavings.

I tend to agree with crapshoot on the carabiner. Good luck on that and keep us posted.

My eye's are good, I have some scars on them, but they do not affect my vision.

The carabiner was the stock one that used to come with some of the Everlast plastic ballhooks. When I first put that one up I got a shaving in my eye, about five months ago. I wore through it, and put a new Everlast plastic ballhook up, this one with the "S" hook. I got the most recent piece of metal off of that one....

I'll have to upload a picture of the carabiner...

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

shranel

yo Reno. Was just thinking about your issue (sorry for your hospital trip, hope they were more than hospitable). Could you tie up(to your swivel base) a piece of panty hose or something else light that would catch all the shrapnel? Looks like you should upgrade that carabiner and hook anyway.I picked up a 1 inch u- shackel from a marine store thats been working great. The main feature of my design is that there is minimal metal contact and all pieces are replaceable from most hardware stores. I've had no problem with shrapnel or breakage. Keep Bangin
            The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
              So this last weekend I picked up my second piece of shrapnel off of a swivel in the last five months. Both metal shavings, both lodged in my cornea, both removed bye evil men with tiny icepicks and miniscule dremel tools. Both coincided with new swivels being placed on my board as well.
              I've gotten stuff in my eyes a few times, but luckily it never required medical intervention. I guess we know why Everlast got rid of the metal ball hook swivels.

Thoughts? Right now I'm just using some safety glasses that I have around for grinding and whatnot in my garage. I don't know that I've seen anyone else wearing protection, aside from Skunk chilling in his sunglasses at night.....
              Other than skunk and his sunglasses I haven't seen anyone wearing eye protection.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I've had a few metal flakes in my eyes also. I hate hitting with glasses because the frames can interfere with Downward Elbow Strikes. I have tried hitting with small swim goggles, but it's pretty uncomfortable.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• RenoRattler
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  I've had a few metal flakes in my eyes also. I hate hitting with glasses because the frames can interfere with Downward Elbow Strikes. I have tried hitting with small swim goggles, but it's pretty uncomfortable.
                  Yeah, I know that first hand. I love my Downward Elbows....I've hit myself with no glasses on. Haha.

Comment

• Tim
                    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Yeah, I know that first hand. I love my Downward Elbows....I've hit myself with no glasses on. Haha.
                    I wasn't going to admit it , but I scratched my nose once pretty bad

The whole eye thing concerns me. Not sure what the best plan of action is long term. I like just walking up to the platform and banging away, can't stand the thought of putting glasses on (I guess that would change the first time I get something serious in my eye). I guess the plastic base/metal ball swivel is the best way to mitigate the problem.

Comment

• crapshoot
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      I wasn't going to admit it , but I scratched my nose once pretty bad

The whole eye thing concerns me. Not sure what the best plan of action is long term. I like just walking up to the platform and banging away, can't stand the thought of putting glasses on (I guess that would change the first time I get something serious in my eye). I guess the plastic base/metal ball swivel is the best way to mitigate the problem.
                      I agree. Part of the whole appeal for me is that I can walk (or, will walk, once I get it set up) up to it and start using it. I think that is one of the benefits over the heavy bag (I know, I know, it's for a different purpose. Looking at it from a fitness perspective).

Suiting up to use the bag kind of kills it.

Maybe looking at some beefier S-hooks at the hardware store is one option. Another is trying out other materials to connect the bag to the swivel. I think it was aad03 that had a vid.

Too bad we can't see where the shrapnel came from. My bet is on the part where the moving arm meets the body.

Comment

• Clubber Lang
                        • Mar 2010

sorry to hear about the shrapnel. I never knew that this was possible so I learnt something valuable.

I think the only answer is (see picture)

The only problem is that you will need to keep an Arc welder switched on nearby whilst bag slamming.

Col.Lang
                        Recon.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Clubber Lang; 04-29-2010, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Bruce
                          • Dec 2009

Och... man, never would have thought of something like that happening... Hoping for a quick recovery.

Comment

• RenoRattler
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
                            Too bad we can't see where the shrapnel came from. My bet is on the part where the moving arm meets the body.
                            I'm actually fairly certain that it came from the S-hook and eye hook meeting point.
                            Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                            Och... man, never would have thought of something like that happening... Hoping for a quick recovery.
                            Already back at 100%. One good thing about eyes, they heal quickly if you have superficial injuries.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2007

I'm actually fairly certain that it came from the S-hook and eye hook meeting point.
                              Reno, can't you see where it came from? And is it the chrome that's breaking loose? I've never had this problem with my home made swivel. Having said that.....Did i just put a jinx in myself???

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...