X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biguglybear
    • Mar 2010

Ball hook too much for a beginner

Hey fellow baggers! So after many hours trying to learn the craft of speed bagging with the ball hook/s-hook swivel, I reget to say that I have to revert back to the u-bolt. I'm trying to learn the basics, and the ball hook is just too wild for me now. It's like the movie Seabiscuit where they have Seabisuit running down the track for the first time where he's all zig-zagging, and I believe Jeff Bridges' character says: "Well, he's fast...", and the trainer played by Chris Cooper responds: "Yeah, in all directions." That's the kind of experience I'm having with the ball hook. I don't know if any of you beginners out there are having the same experience, but if you are, you might want to start out with a u-bolt/chain link swivel. I'm finding it easier to learn timing this way, because then you're just worried about keeping the bag going one direction. Anyway, my two cents.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Speed Bag Scissorhands endorses the U-bolt, even Alan Kahn mentions it on one of his DVDs as one "the neighbors will like", haha. No shame in bagging on a U-bolt. Besides, anyone who bad mouths the U-bolt will have to contend with the wrath of Fingers.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by biguglybear View Post
      Hey fellow baggers! So after many hours trying to learn the craft of speed bagging with the ball hook/s-hook swivel, I reget to say that I have to revert back to the u-bolt.1
      It's a good hit to the ego to have to slow down to accomodate the ball hook, but with time you will get used to it. I would simply suggest you give it a try again some time in the future.

Comment

• biguglybear
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        It's a good hit to the ego to have to slow down to accomodate the ball hook, but with time you will get used to it. I would simply suggest you give it a try again some time in the future.
        Oh, no, I plan on going back to the ball hook for sure--I'm just having trouble with timing now. To do what you guys do requires the ball hook, so when I improve, I'm sure I'll want to switch to the ball hook.

Originally posted by paranday View Post
        Speed Bag Scissorhands endorses the U-bolt, even Alan Kahn mentions it on one of his DVDs as one "the neighbors will like", haha. No shame in bagging on a U-bolt. Besides, anyone who bad mouths the U-bolt will have to contend with the wrath of Fingers.
        Yeah, I know that's what SBSH uses, and I know they can't readily get the ball hook in the U.K., so I don't mean to sound that I'm bashing the U-bolt, so sorry if I come across that way.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Hey fellow baggers! So after many hours trying to learn the craft of speed bagging with the ball hook/s-hook swivel, I reget to say that I have to revert back to the u-bolt. I'm trying to learn the basics, and the ball hook is just too wild for me now. It's like the movie Seabiscuit where they have Seabisuit running down the track for the first time where he's all zig-zagging, and I believe Jeff Bridges' character says: "Well, he's fast...", and the trainer played by Chris Cooper responds: "Yeah, in all directions." That's the kind of experience I'm having with the ball hook. I don't know if any of you beginners out there are having the same experience, but if you are, you might want to start out with a u-bolt/chain link swivel. I'm finding it easier to learn timing this way, because then you're just worried about keeping the bag going one direction. Anyway, my two cents.
          Hi bub, welcome to the forum! Yes, the U-bolt swivel was a great swivel and learning tool for me in my speed bag journey. Listen to me! "was..." Sorry, Die-hard U-bolt users, but I think I have crossed over to the other side. Speaking as a relatively new speed bagger (7 months), I can say that the u-bolt is excellent for starting out... much smoother action and very helpful for getting consistent strikes on the bag.

But, when I finally decided that I wanted to "broaden my SB-ing horizon" and attempt elbow punches, the U-bolt was less forgiving in that respect. When I installed the s-hook, it took just a few days of practice before I got the hang of it. Don't get me wrong, the bag still goes wacky on me when I'm not paying close attention to keeping my elbows up, etc. But, I must say that I get a lot of satisfaction working out on it. I like the way the bag handles... the sound it makes... just hitting the bag seems more enjoyable.

But, I have to give credit to the U-bolt for getting me this far. Had I started speed bagging using the s-hook, I wouldn't be here today... I probably would have given up in frustration.
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

I guess I never tried the U-bolt because of the cost. I started with the plastic ball/hook, switched to the chain/link, went back to the ball/hook. Still I would love to get a U-bolt one day just to try it out.
            sigpic

Comment

• biguglybear
              • Mar 2010

I think I just lost my u bolt while changing out bags, so looks like I might be going back to the s hook, afterall. Annoying.

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

Ha Ha!! believe it or not i am about to give the ball hook a try for the first time soon!

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Feb 2010

I think I just lost my u bolt while changing out bags, so looks like I might be going back to the s hook, afterall. Annoying.
                  Don't despair, it's not THAT bad!!!
                  I started learning on a ball hook from the start 'cos the u-bolt was TOO noisy and banned immediately
                  So, maybe I'm not up to rip roaring speed yet, but I guess this way I will have to learn control with every slight change of bag direction. No bad thing! I'm sure it will pay off later. Good luck

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
                    Spin Master

• Aug 2008

wow looks like im gonna be the last of the U bolters!

Comment

• paranday
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by SpeedBagScissorhands View Post
                      The U bolt adds to your mystique. Like Sinatra, you can say you did it your way.

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

The U bolt adds to your mystique. Like Sinatra, you can say you did it your way.
                        Okay, I'll admit it, I use a U bolt..................

Comment

• biguglybear
                          • Mar 2010

Well, no, I'm no Blue Eyes--that's for damn sure.

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          Okay, I'll admit it, I use a U bolt..................
                          Cool, I don't feel like the only one, then!

Comment

• biguglybear
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
                            Don't despair, it's not THAT bad!!!
                            So, maybe I'm not up to rip roaring speed yet, but I guess this way I will have to learn control with every slight change of bag direction. No bad thing! I'm sure it will pay off later. Good luck
                            Thanks for the encouragement Mrs. Mitts! And as I'm sure you well know, it ain't about speed, it's about control! Which seeing your video, I'd say you have quite an abundance of! Good work!

Originally posted by SpeedBagScissorhands View Post
                            Somebody's gotta represent, Adam!

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                            Ha Ha!! believe it or not i am about to give the ball hook a try for the first time soon!
                            Let us know how you're coming along, Fingers! I'm sure there's some getting used to.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey B.U.B. I am reletively new to speedbaggin myself. Back in the 80's, I boxed and used to work out on the speedbag (only front circle punches, long before the "Speed Bag Bible") and used the chain-link swivel. It was OK for what I was doing. I think it was similar to the ubolt in terms of what type of resistance you might get when changing direction of the bag (side punces mostly).
                              Since I started speedbaging recently,I basically started from scratch. I got a ball/hook when I set up my platform and haven't known anything different. It's what I learned all my techniques on. Since almost all the techniques are awkward at first, things go slow, but from basic practice you begin to get the feel and the rhythm of each technique and before you know it, your "doing it". So just as everyone else has said, it's whatever you get used to, and are comfortable with.
                              So I guess the moral of the story is not to give up or get discouraged, have patients,
                              and keep practicing. "I have all the faith in the world in you!"
                              T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...