X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tryme
    • Mar 2010

squeaky swivel?

How can I stop my swivel squeaking away when I hit it it gets annoying lol.
  • Clubber Lang
    • Mar 2010

Based on the picture in the other post I would try using a grease rather than any type of oil.

The types of grease that I use are lithium grease or copper slip grease.

You can get these in either a spray or jar form. On a small metal on metal contact area try using a cotton wool tip dipped in a grease and apply a reasonable amount. If you do not have any grease it might be worth buying a small toothpaste sized tube as it will last for a long time and is easier to apply directly from the tube.

Let us know how you get on...
    Last edited by Clubber Lang; 03-08-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Another suggestion that has been made is to use a crayon. The wax in it will lube the ball, and is far less messy than using grease

Comment

• Clubber Lang
        • Mar 2010

Crayon is a good idea. I will give that a try in the future.

When needing to create slip between small metal on metal contact surface I have previously used a pencil because of the graphite content.

Have just learned the following from Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite):

------------------
        Graphite and graphite powder are valued in industrial applications for its self-lubricating and dry lubricating properties. There is a common belief that graphite's lubricating properties are solely due to the loose interlamellar coupling between sheets in the structure. However, it has been shown that in a vacuum environment (such as in technologies for use in space), graphite is a very poor lubricant. This observation led to the discovery that the lubrication is due to the presence of fluids between the layers, such as air and water, which are naturally adsorbed from the environment. This molecular property is unlike other layered, dry lubricants such as molybdenum disulfide. Recent studies suggest that an effect called superlubricity can also account for graphite's lubricating properties. The use of graphite is limited by its tendency to facilitate pitting corrosion in some stainless steel[7][8], and to promote galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals (due to its electrical conductivity). It is also corrosive to aluminium in presence of moisture. For this reason, the US Air Force banned its use as a lubricant in aluminium aircraft [9], and discouraged its use in aluminium-containing automatic weapons [10]. Even graphite pencil marks on aluminium parts may facilitate corrosion [11]. Another high-temperature lubricant, hexagonal boron nitride, has the same molecular structure as graphite. It is sometimes called white graphite, due to its similar properties.

But I note that the US Air Force has not banned the use on any speed bag swivels that they may own even though they could be made out of stainless steel or aluminium. How irresponsible.

I am ok however because my swivel is made out of solid 25 carat gold.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

[QUOTE=Clubber Lang;18385]Crayon is a good idea. I will give that a try in the future.

When needing to create slip between small metal on metal contact surface I have previously used a pencil because of the graphite content.

Have just learned the following from Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite):

------------------
          Graphite and graphite powder are valued in industrial applications for its self-lubricating and dry lubricating properties. There is a common belief that graphite's lubricating properties are solely due to the loose interlamellar coupling between sheets in the structure. However, it has been shown that in a vacuum environment (such as in technologies for use in space), graphite is a very poor lubricant. This observation led to the discovery that the lubrication is due to the presence of fluids between the layers, such as air and water, which are naturally adsorbed from the environment. This molecular property is unlike other layered, dry lubricants such as molybdenum disulfide. Recent studies suggest that an effect called superlubricity can also account for graphite's lubricating properties. The use of graphite is limited by its tendency to facilitate pitting corrosion in some stainless steel[7][8], and to promote galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals (due to its electrical conductivity). It is also corrosive to aluminium in presence of moisture. For this reason, the US Air Force banned its use as a lubricant in aluminium aircraft [9], and discouraged its use in aluminium-containing automatic weapons [10]. Even graphite pencil marks on aluminium parts may facilitate corrosion [11]. Another high-temperature lubricant, hexagonal boron nitride, has the same molecular structure as graphite. It is sometimes called white graphite, due to its similar properties.

But I note that the US Air Force has not banned the use on any speed bag swivels that they may own even though they could be made out of stainless steel or aluminium. How irresponsible.

I am ok however because my swivel is made out of solid 25 carat gold.[/QUOTE]

I can only imagine that "The Golden Swivel" needs no lubricant to coat it's parts. By legend we know that when a punch is true it's rebound is perfection.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• tryme
            • Mar 2010

I used some "plumbers grease" as that's all I had to hand and it's worked quite well, a bit messy though but easy enough to clean up.

Comment

• Clubber Lang
              • Mar 2010

Once I just gave him some nuts and seeds and that seemed to stop the squeeking.

Sorry! I was thinking of a squeaky squirrel !

My mistake.

Comment

• tryme
                • Mar 2010

lmao thats just silly.

Comment

• Eighty-Eight

• Feb 2008

squeaky swivel?

A while back, I remember Billy Mack posting that he uses a bar of soap. I tried it and it works great. I use the worn down bar, like when shape becomes oval & the edges get tapered . . . just at the point when you're ready to throw it out. It lasts for a little while, then you need to re-apply.

Comment

• tryme
                    • Mar 2010

yeah I see I might give that a go or the crayon.

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I've used graphite, but it wears off too quickly. I'd find that I had to re-apply every 20 - 30 minutes. I use chassis grease (because I have a big jug of it) and it lasts a long time, but makes a mess on the bags.

Comment

• Clubber Lang
                        • Mar 2010

Clubber Lang totally agrees with your findings.

My 1st choice would be to go for a grease that has some temperature/viscosity stability, so in summer months the grease will stay in place.

I mentioned graphite as an equivalent to crayon in terms of being low cost and being readily available. I would think crayon would be better.

I pity the fool that has not watched Rocky 3.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...