X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tryme
    • Mar 2010

speed bag basics

I'm not very good at it I can't go fast. i count 1,2,3 and (hitting on the 1 then counting 2, 3 then hitting 1 again then counting 2,3 etc etc, is that makes sense) why can't I go faster? When I try to go fast I end up hitting harder.
  • Mrs Mitts
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Feb 2010

Hi, there's plenty of people on this forum who would want to help you get going on the speedbag - maybe you need to give us a bit more detail on why you're getting frustrated?
    If you think you're getting a good 1,2,3 1,2,3 rhythm going but the bag somehow isn't keeping up with you, maybe you have an equipment problem?

Maybe if your arm movements are a bit too big with each strike, it could be slowing you down?

Best of all, if you could put up a little video I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful feedback. We're all here to learn!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

tryme... hello... welcome...
      Go super slow..... try to do that 10 times in a row with your right hand... then try it 10 times in a row with your left.....
      but.... dont' go faster... dont' hit harder... find the nice little sweet spot that "pops" the bag straight and keeps it centered.....
      ,....try to hit it with the outside of your fist, kind of like a stabbing motion in a bit of a downward angle....
      Like anything, it does take time... the first couple times I tried at a gym many years ago, I thought I'd get it in minutes.... I was wrong... I'm a drummer so I figured that would make it easy.... well it made it easier to understand , but like anyone, I had to start out slow....
      A little discipline does everyone some good.... prove to yourself you can hit 10 times each hand without mis-hitting and you will be proud!
      The speed will come later. The power should be avoided in the beginning and get the motion, feel and form together first.
      To quote Mr. Ringo Starr.....
      "It dont' come easy, ya know it don't come easy!"
      BAG ON!!!!

Comment

• tryme
        • Mar 2010

ok thanks guys I will try do a lil vid later and show you where i'm at. Thanks.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by tryme View Post
          I'm not very good at it I can't go fast. i count 1,2,3 and (hitting on the 1 then counting 2, 3 then hitting 1 again then counting 2,3 etc etc, is that makes sense) why can't I go faster?
          Hello Tryme,

Basically you will only hit as fast as you can control "your movements", not the bags. The bag will only reflect what you give it, like a mirror. If your punching movement, force, direction, angle of entry or contact point is off a bit, the bag will reflect that. The "Discipline of Bag" really means you have to start slow, stay slow and learn control. Think of this as a "control bag", not a speed bag. Counting the rebounds forces you to go slow, for you will then only hit as fast as you can count, and that isn't nearly as fast as the speed bag can rebound.

When I try to go fast I end up hitting harder.
          Yes, and you will need to learn how to control the movements better that create that "harder" punch. As you swing harder you will learn to swing smaller so your hand returns to the hitting area at the proper time. Most people hit harder and then swing in larger movements as a result, but the bag waits on no man (or woman) and will be back in the hitting zone before you hand completes that larger swing.

Learn control. Speed will come. Everytime you see one of us hit fast, you're seeing a person who has learned to control their movements by hitting slow. We all progressed at our own pace, but the path is pretty much the same.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Snoof
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Mar 2010

I just started baggin' recently and am completely on board with starting slow. When I put my platform up and tried the basic rhythm the first time, I immediately thought that perhaps I was too old to start doing this.. that my reflexes just weren't up to it. Then I watched a couple of vids from Alan/Skunk on youtube, where slow control was stressed. So, I started hitting the bag 1x stopping it. Hit again. Stop. etc... and that was absolutely the key. Now it seems that every time I step up to the bag, something new clicks and I can get a new technique down much cleaner than the day before. Slow and steady wins the race. It really amazes me that today I'm worlds better than I was a few short weeks ago... all due to starting slow and staying in control.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Yes, in my last post I forgot to also stress the importance of keeping your elbows out, fists up and punching with small circular motions, like Speedbag posted about. Try to keep the punch rhythm steady by hearing punches and rebounds happen at the same speed.....
              but don't forget....
              ... "a bag unpunched is a bag unloved!"
              BAG ON!

Comment

• tryme
                • Mar 2010

im actually not too bad with my left hand but i find i hit to hard with my right (I am right handed) not sure if thats quite common for beginners. Ill keep at it though, thanks guys.

Also spinsmashpop why does it look like you are throwing a straight right at your bag in your pic? Is that a completely different punch all together compared to the one i'm meant to be throwing?

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

You got Front Circular Punches (F,C,P) which is what you'll be doing. The punch in question is the Front Straight Punch. (F,S,P)

Try it out. Start with your right fist and hit the bag with a straight punch, with the same fist bring it back and hit with your circular punch, swap hands and repeat.
                  My Daughter is here doing the straight punches.

Comment

• tryme
                    • Mar 2010

ill give it a go lol.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

im actually not too bad with my left hand but i find i hit to hard with my right (I am right handed) not sure if thats quite common for beginners. Ill keep at it though, thanks guys.

Also spinsmashpop why does it look like you are throwing a straight right at your bag in your pic? Is that a completely different punch all together compared to the one i'm meant to be throwing?
                      In the pic, I was going for power! haha.... But really, there are tons of different, but first you need to get bag control, so you start simple and then gradually improve... There are front straight punches and front circle punches, and like UK said, you can mix the two making for a real cool combo that creates great power and speed! But one thing at a time for now!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

ill give it a go lol.
                        Here is a video clip of the Basic Rhythm using the Front Straight Punch (FSP) and Front Circle Punch (FCP).

UK is exactly right, hit a Front Straight Punch (FSP) and then do a Front Circle Punch (FCP) with the Same arm.

It can be written like this: R_FSP ' ' ' R_FCP ' ' ' L_FSP ' ' ' L_FCP ' ' ' ...repeat.

( ' ' ' = 3 rebounds)
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• tryme
                          • Mar 2010

are you meant to hit the bag when its going away from you or to you? Cuz i'm sure i'm hitting it when it's comming to me :S

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

are you meant to hit the bag when its going away from you or to you? Cuz i'm sure i'm hitting it when it's comming to me :S
                            Yes, the bag is coming toward your hand when you make contact. Only on more advanced combinations will you make contact on a bag going away from you (your hand movement). Normally if your hand is going in the same direction as the bag you will miss. But with advanced control you will learn to manipulate the bag rebounding angle and the angle of fist entry to create combinations that wouldn't "normally" be possible. The truth is, in every single rebound there is a point which the bag is straight under the swivel, and at that moment it could be hit by your fist coming from any direction. Normally you will not hit it at this point, for most bag contact on you fist will happen when the bag is angled away from your fist, wherever it is coming from.

If you learn to control your basics first, all this will fall into place in a few months.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• tryme
                              • Mar 2010

I see, thanks again! How do I go fast like the likes of manny pacquiao in this video? what punching technique/combination is he using? I know I can't go that fast but thats what I am aiming to do!
                              FightHype.com was on hand as the explosive Manny Pacquiao held an open media workout in preparation for his October 6th rematch with Marco Antonio Barrera. C...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...