• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HarleyDean
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2010

New Speed Bagger

Hi Guys and Gals,
    I am 58 and overweight but I played football and have always been pretty athletic in everything that I have competed in. I built a gym in my house mainly to help my wife who has MS keep in shape and also to help her rehab. I started off bringing her back from her worst episode, she was paralyzed from the waist down for two months, by using an Atari that I dusted off and got out of the closet. This has really helped with her hand eye coordination. I added to my gym a heavy bag and also a new speedbag. I must admit that i have really gotten into hitting the bag as well. I can add some videos later but we both are doing relatively well for just doing it for two weeks. Believe me I have patience and plan on keeping it up to be as good as possible at it. I know I will probably never be as food as a lot of you, and I have the utmost respect for you guys as well. But any pointers along our journey would be most appreciated.
  • sparrky37
    • Jan 2010

Wow! Great story, Welcome to the forum! You wil get some great pointers from these guys I'm kinda just starting off myself. Slow is Smooth:Smooth is Fast!

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hi HD, Welcome to the forum, you'll find this is "The Best" place for "all" your speedbagging needs! Everyone here is more than willing to help you out. There are some fantastic baggers, some of the best that there are. No matter what you have questions about, you'll get pointed in the right direction. Great videos, great literature available (Alans Speedbag Bible), check out him on the web (Alan Kahn), he's got programs designed to help people with rehab etc. Everything you'll need to get you going. You'll become addicted and have a blast!
      Good luck!
      T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by HarleyDean View Post
        Hi Guys and Gals,
        I am 58 and overweight but I played football and have always been pretty athletic in everything that I have competed in. I built a gym in my house mainly to help my wife who has MS keep in shape and also to help her rehab. I started off bringing her back from her worst episode, she was paralyzed from the waist down for two months, by using an Atari that I dusted off and got out of the closet. This has really helped with her hand eye coordination. I added to my gym a heavy bag and also a new speedbag. I must admit that i have really gotten into hitting the bag as well. I can add some videos later but we both are doing relatively well for just doing it for two weeks. Believe me I have patience and plan on keeping it up to be as good as possible at it. I know I will probably never be as food as a lot of you, and I have the utmost respect for you guys as well. But any pointers along our journey would be most appreciated.
        Hi HarleyDean, Welcome to the forum. I love to hear about people using the speed bag for rehabilitation purposes. There are lots of ways to manipulate a workout to focus on certain areas of need or concern, especially for those with disorders of movement and timing. I have known several people that have MS and have used the bag for long periods of time to increase strength, endurance of repetitiveness of motion lost to periods of exacerbation of symptoms. We have a great forum crew here of helpful folks, with all levels of experience. I guess by education and experience I have a particular interest in the field of rehabilitation, since I work in that area and (lucky me...) have used my fair share of it.
        Don't be afraid to post any questions or if you can - put up a video on youtube. PS: you can turn OFF "comments" on your youtube video's, (to eliminate the jerks that love to post hateful comments on that site), and embed your video here on the forum and then get your reviews and comments from the members - who always keep it on target and helpful.

my best to your wife and my respect to you for helping her.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2007

Welcome aboard HD.

Commiserations for your wife.

I hope we can help.
          sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• fingers
            Speed Bag Guru
            • May 2008

Welcome to the forum HD!! any questions you have just ask the guys on this forum are always willing to help.

Comment

• Griffin
              • Jan 2010

Welcome to the forum, and best of everything to you and your wife!

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

Hi HD! A BIG welcome to the forum, you have came to the right place. We'll try our very best to give you the right pointers. Any questions, just ask!

Here's a link to Alan's website. Speed Bag Central And the rehabilitation training page.

I'm looking forward to seeing your video's.

Vini

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Welcome! Have fun bagging!

Comment

• goju
                    • Aug 2009

Welcome HD.

Comment

• atgatt
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2007

HarleyDean, great having you and your wife. Please keep us posted of how you both progress. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Like Alan says, do what is best for your circumstances. As long as you enjoy bagging and it helps get you to where you want to be, then we're all happy.

Due to a rebuilt right shoulder, all I do is forward hits on the speed bag because my shoulder has proven NOT to like anything fancy. So do what works for you. Again, it's all fun anyway, and that's what exercise should be.

You certainly couldn't have found a nicer and more helpful forum than this one. No ego-heads here even though they are amazing at their bag talents.

Comment

• HarleyDean
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jan 2010

Thanks to all of you guys, really appreciate the thoughts and the help! I will definitely post some vids soon. I like for everyone to be open and candid so tell me what you see wrong, and right if there is anything, to help Nancy and I improve!
                        Thanks again I really appreciate it!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...