X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoRattler
    • Sep 2009

Popped my first bladder.

Last night I destroyed the bladder in my 10x7. Fortunately last time I was in Big 5 I bought two bladders, so I had a spare that I could pop in. I love the Everlast bladder for the 4200.

How often do you guys break bladders? Is it something that just happens eventually, or is it not the norm?
  • Crapsterface
    • Nov 2009

I bust them now and then. My dad said he used to go through them every couple weeks. If u take a nylon and put it around the bladder. it will last 2 or 3 times longer. and it dosent effect the bounce Im told. I was to impatiant so i just threw the bladder in. I dug up my select bag from the graveyard. I think alot of ppl would like that bag. but I dont like ther swivels.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
      Last night I destroyed the bladder in my 10x7. Fortunately last time I was in Big 5 I bought two bladders, so I had a spare that I could pop in. I love the Everlast bladder for the 4200.

How often do you guys break bladders? Is it something that just happens eventually, or is it not the norm?
      Haven't broke a bladder in many years. I've had air valves go bad (leak, won't hold air) but my bladder bustin' days are long gone.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I'm going on 4 years of serious speed baggin' with never a busted bladder. Don't know why, I guess I don't hit that hard. I've not particularly tried to bust one either though.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Everlast... or NEVERlast... their bladders must have a short "shelf-life"

I just got home (from BIG 5, actually) with my THIRD Everlast Te:M bag.( It's the one in the middle on my photo...)

My trainer tells me that it's the bag's bladder that has gone bad, and, basically, it's from sitting too long on the store shelf. Since these are a "specialty" bag, they aren't exactly flying off the store shelf. Not to mention the fact that they are made in China.

So, maybe you guys are on to something – I think is was you, Tim, who mentioned this recently – regarding the difference in quality when you order through a catalog vs. off the shelf.

Alan, you've been at this a pretty long time. Do you remember the bladders holding up a lot longer in "the old days"? My husband was introduced to the bag when he was 11 (he's 62) and he remembers that the bladders were made of rubber back then. He noticed when they switched to the elastic(?) bladders, they just didn't/don't hold up as long. I suppose the difference was due to the fact that the rubber ones were seamless, and the elastic ones have a seam. The older bladders didn't usually cause the bags to become mishapen, either.

What do you think?
          Attached Files
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• RenoRattler
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post

I just got home (from BIG 5, actually) with my THIRD Everlast Te:M bag.( It's the one in the middle on my photo...)

My trainer tells me that it's the bag's bladder that has gone bad, and, basically, it's from sitting too long on the store shelf. Since these are a "specialty" bag, they aren't exactly flying off the store shelf. Not to mention the fact that they are made in China.

So, maybe you guys are on to something – I think is was you, Tim, who mentioned this recently – regarding the difference in quality when you order through a catalog vs. off the shelf.

Alan, you've been at this a pretty long time. Do you remember the bladders holding up a lot longer in "the old days"? My husband was introduced to the bag when he was 11 (he's 62) and he remembers that the bladders were made of rubber back then. He noticed when they switched to the elastic(?) bladders, they just didn't/don't hold up as long. I suppose the difference was due to the fact that the rubber ones were seamless, and the elastic ones have a seam. The older bladders didn't usually cause the bags to become mishapen, either.

What do you think?
            Hey Dee, a quick question. If it's the bladder that's gone bad, why not just get a replacement bladder? Definitely cheaper than buying a whole new bag if that's what fixes it.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Hey Dee, a quick question. If it's the bladder that's gone bad, why not just get a replacement bladder? Definitely cheaper than buying a whole new bag if that's what fixes it.
              I simply returned the bag to the store and exchanged it for a new one. The alternative would have been ordering – and waiting – for the new bladder to come. The only bladder that is readily available in the store is for the larger Everlast bags.

I'm far too addicted (is there a Baggers Anonymous?) to wait for a new bladder to be shipped! I'm still hitting the bigger bag, but now that I'm learning the linking, etc., I'm spending the better half of my workout on the Te:M. I'm going to really pamper it... it was the last one in the store.
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

The old school bladders were for the most part made of vulcanized rubber, the same basic material that tire inner tubes are made of. Very durable stuff,(and repairable, as has been discussed here) however it's not as light as latex rubber, or the sythetics that they have been trying to use lately. The latter type that I have seen (and used) are made of mutliple pieces that are heat welded together. Theoretically this should be ideal, but it appears that the process weakens the material in the seam area, and from my experience this is where the bladders fail. My experience otherwise is about the same as Alan's, valve failure. Latex bladders weaken as they are inflated repeatedly (think of a toy balloon). Using a bladder that is intended for the next size up bag when using this type of bladder has been suggested, and that is the reason why.

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                  I simply returned the bag to the store and exchanged it for a new one. The alternative would have been ordering – and waiting – for the new bladder to come. The only bladder that is readily available in the store is for the larger Everlast bags.
                  That's definitely a benefit of buying local, you can easily take it back.

I think I'm going to order a few spare bladders to keep on hand. I've not had one go bad yet, but that means I'm probably due for them all to fail at once

Comment

• Biff
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I'm relatively new at this. I've never had my baldder popped!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...