• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

How about a nice Hawaiian Punch?

How about a nice Hawaiian Punch?

Occasionally I have mentioned our “official” YMCA based elder instructors, especially Ernie Oriente at the Sarasota YMCA. He went to
    Prague Czech Republic last summer to the international youth convention and constructed a speed bag teaching platform to teach kids the joys of speed bagging for 10 days. He paid his own way to do that.

But there is another “senior teacher” who quietly lives his life going to the local YMCA and teaching the speed bag to “his students”– and has done so for the past 23 years. His name is George Kam and he teaches at the Nuuanu YMCA in Honolulu. He has probably taught thousands of men and woman over the years, but has an especially large group of females that complete his course and “graduate” on to advanced bagging. One of his newest students is a Genie Joseph, who is an adjunct professor at Chaminade University in Media and Public Relations, and has her own TV show (The Genie Show) on Channel 52, Olelo.org cable Television. Recently she took up the speed bag, and loves it so much she created a show dedicated to her speed bag instructor and his YMCA program. She calls it Zen and the ART of the Speed Bag, and features a fascinating interview with George Kam as well as generous amounts of speed baggin’ footage of a few of his students, one lady in-particular named ELLEN, who I can safely say is a very advanced bagger, using single and double fists, outward, inward and downward elbows, double bumps from all around, - and does it with ease non-stop. Several girls throw Inward, Outward and Downward Elbow strikes, linking like champs with one or both fists with little or no breakdowns. Amazing stuff!

Shame on me for not having maintained closer contact with George, and Let us all give a nod of respect and admiration for the efforts of Master instructor George Kam for his unceasing efforts to bring personalized and guided speed bag training to our friends in Hawaii, and let all members that may reside in, or travel to Honolulu make it a point to go by and meet this amazing gentleman. In a nod to his 80+ years, He doesn't own a computer. He has heard of the internet, but not youtube. He still favors teaching the old fashion way...
    1 man, 1 board, 1 student. Standing by their side, showing and watching his students. And they love him. He has to date graduated 59 woman from is program (of 21 lesson plans) and many are still punching with him years later, helping the others. Currently on walk about, our own Speedbagforlife is one of his long time disciples, and one of the finest female baggers I've seen to date. Also, give a nod to our new speed bag trainee, Genie Joseph, for taking the time and effort to create this show featuring the speed bag. You might also might drop her a line at Genie@(remove this)GenieJoseph.com and thank her. As a speed bagger herself she loves to meet others. Having spent about an hour with her on the phone recently, I can tell you she is also truly on of us, complete with a new wall unit in her shed for personal practice.

The TV Episode of The Genie Show will be broadcast online Thursday November 26 and Dec 3rd at 9pm EST, 8pm CST on channel 52. Approximately 25 minutes long, it is amazing tribute to George Kam and will put away any doubts that females can indeed rip a speed bag with the best of us. ( and they are easier on the eyes, too). Genie is also creating DVD’s of this episode for sale should any be interested. Please contact me by PM if you are interested in getting a copy. She and I will get nothing from the sales, for it will all go to help offset their small production budget. She spent a lot of time in shooting and editing this to show the bag, the ladies and george in action. It will be one of the best $25.00 bucks you ever spent for your speed bagging interest, and I dare say make you plan a trip to Hawaii. Of course, if there is interest or the possibility of some of our more talented, more notable, more famous or more unique individuals traveling to Hawaii, you may just get to appear on a TV show! She is always looking for interesting individuals with a great story and unique way to tie in the speed bag.

Pictures below! (This will take a few "replies" to post them all) Congratulations George!!

Behold: Beauty and the Bag
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Speedbag; 11-22-2009, 09:08 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Hawaiian Punch continues.....

More Pictures from Hawaii
    Attached Files
    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Very inspirational. The eyes have it. Look at the focus on the girls' faces. I'll never get enough of seeing that in a young person, or any person for that matter. Bagging taps into something primordial, something good.

Comment

• Hawaii Genie
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Nov 2009

Punch Happy in Hawaii

Aloha Allan,

Thanks for the nice comments on "Zen and the Art of the Speed Bag."

Women love speed -- the speed bag workout!

Nice to meet everyone out there in speed-bag land!

Genie

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Hawaii Genie View Post
          Aloha Allan, (* actually Alan )

Genie
          HI Genie! Great to have you join us!

check your email.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2007

Hi there!
            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Biff
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Thanks, Alan, for posting such an inspirational story. I have seen pictures of Mr. Kam on your site, but didn't know all the details until now. You have told us about Ernie O. several times, and next time I'm in SW FL visiting my brother, I will be sure to take a ride up to see him.

It's great to see the art of speed bagging is being passed down by such dedicated individuals. These are stories of true ambassadors of the bag, who give unselfishly of their time to promote and further the "sport" of speed bagging. Thanks for posting. BTW, check your PMs.
              Aloha Allan,

Genie
              Welcome, Genie, to the forum. We look forward to your participation.

Comment

• Hawaii Genie
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Nov 2009

Aloha

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                Hi there!
                Hey Roc Stone,

How are things on your side of the globe?

Genie

Comment

• Hawaii Genie
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Nov 2009

Aloha

Aloha Biff,

Thanks for the nice welcome. I am trying to figure out how to install a speed bag in my house, which is a rental, so I can't just stick it on the wall. Anybody have any suggestions?

Genie

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                  Thanks, Alan, for posting such an inspirational story. I have seen pictures of Mr. Kam on your site, but didn't know all the details until now. You have told us about Ernie O. several times, and next time I'm in SW FL visiting my brother, I will be sure to take a ride up to see him.

It's great to see the art of speed bagging is being passed down by such dedicated individuals. These are stories of true ambassadors of the bag, who give unselfishly of their time to promote and further the "sport" of speed bagging. Thanks for posting. BTW, check your PMs.

Welcome, Genie, to the forum. We look forward to your participation.

Comment

• Biff
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Can't help you will with problem, other than to suggest some sort of outside solution (if allowed). Genie, please check your PM's (Private Messages).

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Aloha Biff,

Thanks for the nice welcome. I am trying to figure out how to install a speed bag in my house, which is a rental, so I can't just stick it on the wall. Anybody have any suggestions?
                      Hi and welcome to the forums!

Freestanding units range from very unstable to stable. I started with a free standing unit in the garage, but it wobbled to much. It was killing the bag rebounds. I eventually built a freestanding cage that isn't connected to the walls, ceiling, or floor. Expensive, and time consuming, but worth it for the stability. Another option as Biff mentioned is to take it outside, either freestanding or maybe attach to a tree, if you've got one.

Free standing unit:

The Cage:

Comment

• atgatt
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Alan, thanks for the story and pics. Even though those women look determined when hitting, I'm sure they are all having fun. What a fantastic man Mr. Kam is. Looks like he made baggin' alive and well over there and they mean to keep it that way.

Regarding the speed bag platform in a rental, since the wall bolts to hold the platform are not that big in diameter, why not just mount it to the wall then into the wall studs as usual? People hang large pictures, mirrors, etc, and it shouldn't be any big deal filling those bolt holes with Spackle and paint over them once you move out. Or go with fastening a piece of 3/4 thick ply wood through the wall into the studs using small diameter (they are about the diameter of a nail) sheet rock screws and then just secure the platform to the ply wood.

We're happy to hear about you all and wish you all the best.

Comment

• Roc Stone
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2007

Yo. Hi there

My side of the globe is good, so is my side of the hemisphere. How's yours?

You, being in hawaii, could be seen as the half way point between me and the SB convention.

Howz about I call in for a stop over, we could rendezvous for a bit of a soiree, a candle lit clambake perhaps or maybe just a shindig followed by a good old fashioned hoedown.

Hoedown on the speed bag. Would love to see you in action.

Howz about a vid?
                          sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...