X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eighty-Eight

• Feb 2008

Question to Multiple Bag Owners/Users

I am a novice speed bagger currently working on page 39 in SBB. I have been bagging at my local gym, but very soon I will be setting up my own platform in my basement. My question is to all of you more-experienced speed baggers out there who have and use multiple bags:

What was it that made you decide to purchase the bags that you currently own and use? In other words:
    (a) Was it a bag you previously hit and liked?
    (b) Did you hit one size, like it, and buy the remaining sizes in the same brand?
    (c) Was it a recommendation found on this forum, or maybe one from a fellow bagger?
    (d) Or, did you buy on impulse and just “take a shot”?
    (e) Some, all or none of the above?

Assuming that it’s a good quality leather bag with leather seams, does it really come down to personal preference? This will be my first bag that I'm buying. Tough decision to make because there's nowhere to go and try them out, and all I've hit was the one at the gym (Top Contender). I’ve read most of the areas in the forum and have learned a ton. I've been checking the forum daily. Many thanks to you all.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Eighty-Eight View Post
    I am a novice speed bagger currently working on page 39 in SBB. I have been bagging at my local gym, but very soon I will be setting up my own platform in my basement. My question is to all of you more-experienced speed baggers out there who have and use multiple bags:...
    The size of the bag may be dependent on board size. IF you get a normal home size 24 inch board, than an 11x8 bag will come right to the end of it and a larger bag will extend past the boards edge. It's not that big a deal, but if you are planning to hit lots of bag at home, and plan on pounding away - then a small lighter 24 inch presswood type board will need reinforcement.

I am a novice speed bagger currently working on page 39 in SBB. I have been bagging at my local gym, but very soon I will be setting up my own platform in my basement. My question is to all of you more-experienced speed baggers out there who have and use multiple bags:

What was it that made you decide to purchase the bags that you currently own and use? In other words:
    (b) Did you hit one size, like it, and buy the remaining sizes in the same brand?
    (c) Was it a recommendation found on this forum, or maybe one from a fellow bagger?

Assuming that it’s a good quality leather bag with leather seams, does it really come down to personal preference? This will be my first bag that I'm buying. Tough decision to make because there's nowhere to go and try them out, and all I've hit was the one at the gym (Top Contender). I’ve read most of the areas in the forum and have learned a ton. I've been checking the forum daily. Many thanks to you all.
    Yes, most individual bag choices such as size, style, brand, seam make up - come down to personal preferences, but that is dependent on experience. If you've never hit the bags discussed around the forum then you wouldn't know which feels the best for YOU. As a beginner you can use a good quality 10x7 size bag and you don't need to spend a ton to get one. If you want a 9x6 or 8x5 also, that's OK, but for learning you will do well with a 10x7.

A lot of people go through "bag mania" and get all kinds, only to end up hitting their preferred favorite. I expect most of us more experience folks have a lot of bags (attrition) but mainly hit one or two favorites and keep the rest for back ups.

I am a novice speed bagger currently working on page 39 in SBB.
    Ah ha!, working on the split fists and figure 8 linking.... Good. Once you can pass your fist(s) through the bag you will open up hundreds more possibilities. It's easier to use the Front Straight Punch (FSP) position for the fist in front. You can use the Front Circle Punch (FCP) also but I think it is easier to learn (and do, for me....) using the FSP.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 10-05-2009, 05:05 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Like Speedbag said, if you decide to get a BIG bag, the larger platform gives a much better rebound. I have a 12 x 10 Title and made a platform 36" long, so I have room to spare until I can find a used hot air balloon for a larger bag.

My other favorite is a 8 x 5 I have on a regular platform. The other bags I have on the most part sit on a shelf but once in a while I blow the dust off them and put them on. At one time I was changing bags all the time. Just as long as I am hitting something, I am happy.

You are off to a great start because you started. Welcome to the addiction, just lock up your credit card when going to a sporting goods store with speed bags.

Comment

• The Baggist
        Vert Baggin' Master
        • May 2009

HELLO Eighty-Eight, I own several bags in different sizes and I change bags quite a bit just to switch things up a bit. I would say experienced baggers tend to gravitate towards a good 8x5 (Title yellow, Everlast Pro,Etc..). If you can't afford or justify having more than a bag or two you can also experiment with air pressure, like if a bag feels a little fast for the combos your learning try letting a little air out of the bag to slow it down. I really don't recommend over inflating though because you can burst seams or the bladder.
        GOOD LUCK!!!!

Comment

• Eighty-Eight

• Feb 2008

To Speedbag:
          I have my 24” diameter Everlast adjustable platform on order from Wal-Mart ($96.00). Should be here between 10/6 and 10/13. I plan on attaching ¾” plywood to the top and weighting that with a 50 lb sand bag. If I understand you correctly, 11x8 is the largest bag I should consider using with that platform. Yesterday I ordered the all-steel ball hook swivel from fitness-equipment.com [along with the optional shorter hook]. Today I ordered the Title 10x7 and 9x6 bags.

To atgatt:
          You’re right; it IS an addiction. I’ve read that if you’re going to exercise, you should do something you enjoy. Lately, I’ve been at my local gym this spending an hour to an hour and a half a day under the board and loving it. Time flies because I’m mentally engaged. I’ve never spent that much time on a bike, treadmill or elliptical.

To The Baggist:
          Good point about adjusting the air pressure. I’ll try that before thinking about buying bag #3.

Thanks to you all for your advice, tips and encouragement.

Comment

• fingers
            Speed Bag Guru
            • May 2008

Hey Eighty eight! ive got to agree with Bagist i always seem to return to my Everlast pro 8x5!! soon to be a collectors item as i hear they are being discontinued so get one while you can! welcome to a great forum, Fingers.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Hi Eighty Eight....
              Yes, great advice from everyone here....
              After bagging for a year, I have accumulated over 20 bags. Most by choice, a few by gift. There are some I definitely don't like, there a few I am real into at the moment, and there are some that serve other purposes.
              I have some real small fast ones, some mediums that are different weights, and larger bags weighted and sized differently as well.
              I think it's better to work on new stuff on a medium, 5x8, 6x9 or bigger bag. The sweet spot is larger and the bag is easier to maneuver overall.
              Some bags are heavier and you can lay into them more and go for endurance. Some bags are airy and force you to use extra control....
              I think it's all up to what you are working on and then of course what YOU feel most comfortable with!
              The bottom line is make sure you are BAGGIN'!
              BAG ON!

Comment

• MikeTarheel
                • Sep 2009

Where Else in The World can one find such valid advise/feedback? (*you won't find it at the Lowe's power department)

I'm a Novice but I'll weigh in: I have larger size Everlast bag that is durable and a friend. I recently acquired a smaller Title Bag that is well constructed and has a little more spunk.

I'll be looking to acquire a few more bags in the near future, but I have work to do with these two (ultimately I would like to make my original Everlast Sing - love that bag).

Comment

• goju
                  • Aug 2009

well im hoping to get one of these 9x6 http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/ever...peed-bags.html
                  i got a crapy plastic everlast 9x6 with a huge split down the side.. still ok to learn stuff on funny enough the 9x6, for me has a real nice feel to it .. also a better cardio workout than the 8x5 ive been using.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

To Speedbag:
                    I have my 24” diameter Everlast adjustable platform on order from Wal-Mart ($96.00). Should be here between 10/6 and 10/13. I plan on attaching ¾” plywood to the top and weighting that with a 50 lb sand bag. If I understand you correctly, 11x8 is the largest bag I should consider using with that platform. Yesterday I ordered the all-steel ball hook swivel from fitness-equipment.com [along with the optional shorter hook]. Today I ordered the Title 10x7 and 9x6 bags.
                    I think the 11x8 is a great learning size, as is the 10x7. Both will work fine on that board.

I never liked a set up with the bag going past the edge of the board. either the board or bag normally ends up "frayed" and damaged over time. It won't be a big deal for a short time, but after months of regular workouts something always seem to be damaged. On the other hand, the boards I used were not as hard or high a quality as the board you will have. The bag, however, (bigger than 11x8) could get creased after bending up over the edge a few thousand times.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...