X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geronimo
    • Sep 2009

New guy to Speedbagforums.com

Well just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tim, but everyone calls me Geronimo. Since the admin here is named Tim, I went with my alias. I'm a fellow SB fiend, so I'm pretty stoked to be part of the Speedbagforums.

Been speed bagging myself not to long just few months. I never got into more advanced boxing until i was 25+. So past few years was just my 2 heavy bags. Few months ago I grabbed a cheapo set up from Duhnams when they changed locations by house. Haven't enjoyed something as much as this in ages, /laugh probably since i met my wife tbh .

So I do have a question for everyone that I haven't seen on forums. Chance I've might of missed it but thus far I haven't seen is.... LONGEVITY of speed bags??? How long they supposed to last for? Ive shredded 2 of the garbage vinyl cheapos from Dunhams they go for 20$s or what ever, the 1st one came with the kit I purchased. The 2nd was same, only reason I got the same one twice, is only one at the store and " I NEEDED A BAG ASAP! " Both bags took less them a month or so to ware down to the stitching where the seams burst and Ive resorted to duct tape till I could get another. Granted that issue solved now with my new Title bags but Ive only had them a short time and wanted to know what I should expect with age of these bags?

The quality of the Title leather bag vs the vinyl I already can see/feel/ and tell that they are the dominate and way better bag. But what do I get age wise from them? 3-6 months? A year? I bag anywhere from 1hr to 3-5 hrs a day. Sounds like a lot maybe to some, but I'm OCD bad and everything I end up doing is that way. If I dont work during the day Ill train upwards of 8-10hrs. At times there's 3+ hrs of SBing in there. Just to get a WARE n TARE idea on the bag for the estimated longevity of these bags..

Now with this forum and searching the net some Ive seen Alans Videos, Skunks Vids, and some of others handy work. Its motivated and got me going 1000% so I ordered 2 Title bags 2weeks ago, the 6x9 red, and 7x10 black bag and 2 good swivels, got the Metal Shook and the EZ pro title. Now need to build that Nice homemade Drum MIKE G posted on very nice homemade set up by the way Mike. Using my Everlast set up atm until i have my homemade one ready.

Anyways glad to be part of the forum and hope to learn alot from you guys. BTW Alan Ill buy one ya tapes bro, support the cause! Plus I love to learn from the best. Seeing you and Skunk and other GREAT SBers on the net of recently really opened my mind on new ways of hitting the bag!
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey Geronimo, welcome to the forum.

I bag anywhere from 1hr to 3-5 hrs a day. Sounds like a lot maybe to some, but I'm OCD bad and everything I end up doing is that way. If I dont work during the day Ill train upwards of 8-10hrs. At times there's 3+ hrs of SBing in there.
    Now I know where you got your name from.

I guess there are several factors that go into determining the lifespan of a SB. Quality of the leather (and bladder) and manufacturing, inflation pressure, type of platform, hours hit, how hard the SB is hit, hitting with rings on, etc.

If you are bangin on that bag day in and day out for that much time, I would guess maybe a year or two. I have seen Tim's yellow title bag and that has taken a beating over the years. I'm not sure how old it is, but that baby is showing some wear.

Alan has been bagging the longest and could probably provide you with the best answer.

Anyway, good luck with putting a platform together, and post up some pix when complete. Also, post up some vids of yourself beating up the bag.

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

hey thanks for the intro and welcome to the forums. bag longevity will vary bag to bag depending on quality. i assume most of the leather bags have about the same longevity but i can can only speak about what i have had since the start which is the rival 9x6. ive used the bag consistently for about 2.5-3 years and it is just as good as the day i got it. the bladder is going to go a lot faster than the leather on the bag and then its just a process of getting a new bladder and installing it...im interested too hear alan (Speedbag on the forum) take on this im pretty sure hes got some bags with alot of history behind them. i hope this helps but if ur your looking for a bag thats gonna last long any of the higher end rival, ringside, everlast, or title bags will work for a long long time!

Comment

• Geronimo
        • Sep 2009

Well the 2 new bags I baught 2ish weeks ago < Title 6x9red and 7x10black > seem to be 100% better then what I was using previously< Red 7x10 Everlast synthetic/Vinyl>. I dont see any ware on either of my new bags as of yet and the Everlast vinyl wore in 2 - 4 weeks. Im pretty happy to hear that these 2 newer bags I have should last 12+ months.

Comment

• goju
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Geronimo View Post
          what I was using previously< Red 7x10 Everlast synthetic/Vinyl>. the Everlast vinyl wore in 2 - 4 weeks.
          Hi and welcome, i had one of those bags when i first started and it lasted about a week before it split down one side.

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Hey and welcome neighbor to the north! I've been using the same Title 10x7 for about 1 1/2 years now and so far no problems.
            sigpic

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Well just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tim, but everyone calls me Geronimo. Since the admin here is named Tim, I went with my alias. I'm a fellow SB fiend, so I'm pretty stoked to be part of the Speedbagforums.
              Welcome to the forums!

Haven't enjoyed something as much as this in ages, /laugh probably since i met my wife tbh .
              I hear ya loud and clear ... time flies under the board, like nothing else. I wish I could bag all day every day.

The quality of the Title leather bag vs the vinyl I already can see/feel/ and tell that they are the dominate and way better bag. But what do I get age wise from them? 3-6 months? A year? I bag anywhere from 1hr to 3-5 hrs a day. Sounds like a lot maybe to some, but I'm OCD bad and everything I end up doing is that way. If I dont work during the day Ill train upwards of 8-10hrs. At times there's 3+ hrs of SBing in there. Just to get a WARE n TARE idea on the bag for the estimated longevity of these bags..
              A good bag will outlast several bladders, I think. I have a yellow title that is going on 3+ years. It looks like hell, but it has much life left in it.

Anyways glad to be part of the forum and hope to learn alot from you guys. BTW Alan Ill buy one ya tapes bro, support the cause! Plus I love to learn from the best. Seeing you and Skunk and other GREAT SBers on the net of recently really opened my mind on new ways of hitting the bag!
              Buying the speed bag bible (DVD or book) is probably the best investment you can make in your speed bag skills

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Well just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tim, but everyone calls me Geronimo. Since the admin here is named Tim, I went with my alias. I'm a fellow SB fiend, so I'm pretty stoked to be part of the Speedbagforums. Been speed bagging myself not to long just few months.
                ..... But what do I get age wise from them? 3-6 months? A year? I bag anywhere from 1hr to 3-5 hrs a day. Sounds like a lot maybe to some, but I'm OCD bad and everything I end up doing is that way. If I dont work during the day Ill train upwards of 8-10hrs. At times there's 3+ hrs of SBing in there. Just to get a WARE n TARE idea on the bag for the estimated longevity of these bags..
                Hey Geronimo:

During my most ferocious baggin days, back in the early 1990's and up through about 2003, I could easily clock in 3 or 4 hours a night. I'd go rippin' to fast music for 12-15 takes in a row, four or fives songs a night. (ah, to be young again with healthy shoulders....), and I found most bags I used a lot made it about 3 years till it would shred somewhere. Usually lose air, with a pin hole leak or blow an air valve. Several ripped at the seams. My very favorite bag ripped apart and I punched it silly through a roll of duct tape patches until it literally went belly up. 5-7 days a week of pounding 3-5 hours a night is going to strain even the best bag, particularly when it gets a bit "over inflated" to push the speed limit. (yeah, I really did that.. ).

If you're pounding bags 3 hours a night three or four days a week, that valve or seams are gonna go in a few years, if that long. I do have some bags that are near 20 years old, but they don't see much action on a regular basis.

..... Anyways glad to be part of the forum and hope to learn alot from you guys. BTW Alan Ill buy one ya tapes bro, support the cause! Plus I love to learn from the best. Seeing you and Skunk and other GREAT SBers on the net of recently really opened my mind on new ways of hitting the bag!
                I appreciate that. You can get it all cheaper from me directly so PM me from the board. I try to take care of my forum bag brotha's.

There's plenty of baggin' talent in here so don't sell the others short. I've been learning a few new things in here myself lately.

So, now you know....
                Even a Skunk can teach an old dog new tricks!
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...