• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

fixing speed bag leak

My Turbo bag finally sprung a leak after much use so I just went to using my other bags, which is fine since I like to use various bags anyway and mix them up, but the Turbo bag has become part of the family and I missed it.

Rather than buy another, I squirted in a very small amount of Ride-On fix-a-flat liquid through the air needle hole. I just used a air needle. Anyway, so far it seemed to do the trick and I don't notice any difference in hitting it.

Looks like it has been given a second life and the fix was easy and cheap. I just wonder if Slime or any variety of products would work on leaky bags by just giving them a slight amount.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a simple fix that worked for me.

Happy hitting.
  • dax_q
    • Jan 2008

I too just fixed a leak on my title 6x9. I went to target and bought a bicycle tube patch kit. So far so good.
    -Dax

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by dax_q View Post
      I too just fixed a leak on my title 6x9. I went to target and bought a bicycle tube patch kit. So far so good.
      -Dax
      Been there, done that. I patched a whole lot more than I changed bladders.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Fix a flat, great idea! Wonder if it will stand up to the pounding that a speed bag takes, I guess we'll find out.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Fix a flat, great idea! Wonder if it will stand up to the pounding that a speed bag takes, I guess we'll find out.
          In my experience, if the leak was no in the plastic "seam", where the pieces came together, it would hold pretty well.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            I just fixed a bladder with my bike tire repair kit as well. It seems to have worked. The pressure put on a bladder has got to be of a similar type of force as that of a mountain bike's inner tube. They both take a beatin'!

Comment

• atgatt
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

It's good to know others have tried it and it worked. Mine is still doing fine.

Comment

• coastin
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jan 2009

i recently bought a everlast speed bag but its leaking from one of the seams, the bag is not totally deflated it stops at a certain time kind of like a flat bball could i fix this? and how do i know if its not leaking from the bladder?

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

If it goes down to a point (and still be inflated) it sounds like a defective valve, which is not unusual. If there is a pin hole in the bladder itself it will totally deflate. How fast is of course determined how big the hole is.

Comment

• coastin
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jan 2009

yeah it stops at a certain stop, i think its the value how can i fix this?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by coastin View Post
                      yeah it stops at a certain stop, i think its the value how can i fix this?
                      If it's the valve, I have found no way to "fix it" other than replace it.

In the old days when "we" (my bag crew in college) had a bad valve, we would fill it one last time, put a plug in it and glue it shut, for one last inflation. We called it "the final inflation". After that, it is either change the bladder or buy another bag.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• coastin
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jan 2009

what do u mean by plug i dont think its the valve then, i could hear the air coming from the side seam like this pic just in that one spot also that is the same bag i have
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by coastin View Post
                          what do u mean by plug i dont think its the valve then, i could hear the air coming from the side seam like this pic just in that one spot also that is the same bag i have
                          Then you have a leak (pinhole or bigger) near that area and you will have to patch it if you can.

When we plugged a bad valve, we would put something into the hole, like a piece of rubber tire plug. We would take a narrow golf tee or tooth pick covered with glue and stick it in the valve to put glue in it, the put glue over the hole, then stick the rubber stopper or plug into the valve. When the glue dried it sealed the valve closed and air could not leak out, - or go in. The bag would work fine until the bladder gave out.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• coastin
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                            Then you have a leak (pinhole or bigger) near that area and you will have to patch it if you can.

When we plugged a bad valve, we would put something into the hole, like a piece of rubber tire plug. We would take a narrow golf tee or tooth pick covered with glue and stick it in the valve to put glue in it, the put glue over the hole, then stick the rubber stopper or plug into the valve. When the glue dried it sealed the valve closed and air could not leak out, - or go in. The bag would work fine until the bladder gave out.
                            thanks for explaining, have u ever done a patch before? also what do you think i should use to patch it or shud i just cover it up with duct tape?

Comment

• Dutchman
                              Speed Bag Historian
                              • Jun 2006

Patching requires totally deflating the bag, unlacing the top then turning the bag inside out so that the bladder is on the outside. If it's a rubber bladder a standard bicycle tube patch will work. I've never done a plastic patch, as the ones that I had blew out at the seams big time, and I had no success in repairing those. If you have air coming through the seam of the bag itself their may be other issues involved.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...