• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ukspeedbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

A long wait for Cleto Reyes

Just letting you all know I'm still hanging around here quite regularly. And still hitting hard too!

3 Weeks ago I ordered a Cleto Reyes 8x5 from our leading boxing store Sugarrays. Can't believe I'm still waiting! After 3 phone calls from me, each time they tell me 'Wednesday we'll be taking a delivery from Cleto Reyes'. It's not as if I can go anywhere else because they are £25 cheaper than other stores.

Anyway, after about 1 yr I have purchased an Everlast plastic ball hook swivel from Germany. I installed it to the platform and loved it. Found it more challenging than the Title deluxe pro swivel. However the kids found it a major problem to keep the bag under control. Joe threw a fit and I mean a 'FIT', guilt set in so I ended up changing it back. It's now hung up in the shed for a later date.

I haven't posted any videos for a while due to the mobile phone I used is now broken. My last video was of me doing 'SDP's' incorrectly. Alan made a video on how they should be done and I soon corrected my movements. So thanks for that Alan!
    We've had The Speed Bag Bible for some months now and I have only just got around to opening and following Alan's lessons. I have to say, it's an amazing book and has opened a new world of speed bagging for me.

Joe a nd Diaz have their spells of interest and have made some good progress. Zach Ruffo left a video for them and told Joe to adjust his arms. Only yesterday after months did he make the adjustments and was real proud of himself after lots of praises from his parents and sister.

Vini
    Last edited by ukspeedbag; 10-20-2008, 01:51 PM.
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey Vini - Nice to see you're back. I hope you get the bag soon. Always look forward to seeing vids of you and the kids. Nice to hear the kids are still bangin the bag. Tell them I said "Hi."

I agree that Alan's book is fantastic. The explanations and photo sequences have help me so much. Sometimes a video is too fast for me to follow, but Alan breaks everything down in his book. It was well worth the price.

I've been MIA for a while myself. My mother experienced severe health problems in July, but she pulled through. She's almost 90, and a "tough ol' bird." Then I picked up Lyme disease during the summer and am just now starting to feel better. I didn't have the energy or desire to hit the bag until very recently. But, I did try to stay active on the board.

It feels good to start back. I didn't really lose much (not that I had much to begin with, LOL). Still trying to master some techniques and combinations, and hope to get back to it 'full time.'

Hey, how's the battle with the cigarettes going? Still winning?

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Hello Bif,
      I haven't really been anywhere, I always call into the forum for a look around to see what's happening. I travel abroad quite a bit to Service and Repair Aston Martin's but that's no excuse for not contributing to the forum. I must change my ways and get involved with the conversations here. I said "hi" to the kids for you and they say "hi" back.

Sounds like you had a bit of a bad year, although it's good to hear your back to normal and back under the board.

The battle with the cigs is good, I could still easily have one though and have had the temptation from time to time but it soon passes.

Comment

• fingers
        Speed Bag Guru
        • May 2008

Cleto bag.

Mate 3 weeks wait must seem like an age!! but it will make its arrival so much sweeter, they say good things are worth waiting for!

Comment

• ukspeedbag
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

I took delivery yesterday. It's smaller than my Title Classic 8x5 therefore faster. In fact much faster, I'm finding I have to hit faster to keep this thing going straight. With the Title deluxe swivel, the hard loop on the bag jumps around quite a bit. I was going to mount the Everlast ball swivel to see how it would perform but, I'm unable to get the loop into the 'S'. Anyway, I'll get used to it no doubt.

So myself and my new bag are going to have a great future together.
          My next purchase will be 6x9 Everlast, probably for Christmas.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Picture here

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
              I took delivery yesterday. It's smaller than my Title Classic 8x5 therefore faster. In fact much faster, I'm finding I have to hit faster to keep this thing going straight. With the Title deluxe swivel, the hard loop on the bag jumps around quite a bit. I was going to mount the Everlast ball swivel to see how it would perform but, I'm unable to get the loop into the 'S'. Anyway, I'll get used to it no doubt.

So myself and my new bag are going to have a great future together.
              My next purchase will be 6x9 Everlast, probably for Christmas.
              Try putting some tape around the long bag loop to hold it tighter on the U-bolt of that swivel.

See that here. scroll down a bit an you will see a picture of silver tape (#4) around the red bag loop. The will help stop the bag from floating up off the bar, particularly on punches that hit upward of just below the bag belly.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

cleto bag.

I put tape on all my bags! this is good advice from speedbag i found the longer i used the cleto the better it got as it wears in it seems to find its groove!! you are right about the speed mate seems these bags are built for speed, perhaps the loop is designed for those Mexican style swivels,but i think as it breaks in the better it gets

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Thanks Alan, I'll give that a try. Fingers your right about the longer it's used the better. I remember when I got the Title Classic, this was also hard to keep straight. I'll find that sweet spot very soon no doubt.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                    Thanks Alan, I'll give that a try. Fingers your right about the longer it's used the better. I remember when I got the Title Classic, this was also hard to keep straight. I'll find that sweet spot very soon no doubt.
                    Do you find the Cleto Reyes a little heavier on the hands than the Title Classic. My yellow reyes is noticeably heavier to punch.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Yeah! I find it hurts a little more due to the fact, I have to hit harder and faster to keep it going straight.

Comment

• riqal
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Aug 2006

Does anyone think the Cleto bag is worth the $80 price that ringside charges for it?

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by riqal View Post
                          Does anyone think the Cleto bag is worth the $80 price that ringside charges for it?
                          Hello riqal, I can't answer your question yet as I've not had the bag long enough. The price is much more in England. On Ebay and lots of on line boxing stores, they're £80 and I make that $124.90! Oh! plus the £10 delivery fee! Having shopped around and taken advice from 'fingers', we have an on line store that sells them at £55 that's $85.87. This was why I didn't mind the long wait, no way was I going to pay silly money. For some strange reason I feel privileged having only paid the same as you guys in the US.

Here's the Ebay link
                          Last edited by ukspeedbag; 10-29-2008, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• fingers
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • May 2008

hello Riqal i only got my cleto bag a few weeks before UK!! all i can say is the shape is perfect (no lumps or me bumps) the leather is top quality and it looks top quality, the only very minor issue is the length and stiffness of the loop but you soon adapt to it i suppose time will tell how durable it is, there are some pictures on my profile page, for some reason they sent a fancy one!!. ( hay UK i hope you are not disappointed mate)

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                              ( hay UK i hope you are not disappointed mate)
                              Ha Ha! I called them and explained a friend had purchased a fancy multi colored one and this is what I want. The bloke on the other end didn't know what I was talking about. So I had to settle for red or black. That's a real nice bag you got there.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...