X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JordonC2
    • Jul 2021

Narragansett Machine Company speed bag platform help needed

Hi picked up a Narragansett Machine Company speed bag platform which is in very good shape other than the adjustment wheel is stuck.
    There is a little play in the wheel and the cone shaped sprocket, but no other movement in the screw shaft or the bearings. I tried Kroil, no luck. I tried to move the screw shaft with a pipe wrench wrapped in leather, nothing.
    I could use some help.
    Here is a few photo.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A26DBEE0-8DB8-47C0-9168-8156A5168FBB.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	211.2 KB ID:	126217
    Last edited by JordonC2; 08-01-2021, 06:13 PM.
  • Pete
    • Nov 2020

You could try hitting it with a torch. The expansion and contraction can free up the metal sometimes. Electrolysis tank if penetrating oils and lubricants aren't working.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by JordonC2 View Post
      Hi picked up a Narragansett Machine Company speed bag platform which is in very good shape other than the adjustment wheel is stuck.
      There is a little play in the wheel and the cone shaped sprocket, but no other movement in the screw shaft or the bearings. I tried Kroil, no luck. I tried to move the screw shaft with a pipe wrench wrapped in leather, nothing.
      I could use some help.
      Here is a few photo.
      Click image for larger version Name:	A26DBEE0-8DB8-47C0-9168-8156A5168FBB.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	211.2 KB ID:	126217

Whoa! That's a collectors item. They don't make them like that anymore. I hope you get it to work. Sounds like Bagger Pete has some wisdom on this.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Can you tell if the platform brackets themselves are free on the support tubes? If the set screws have been over tightened that may have galled the tubes making adjusting it difficult, if not impossible

Comment

• JordonC2
          • Jul 2021

Dutchman,
          The platform brackets (the knobs on the sides?) are free.
          Knobs and their screws are perfect! The entire platform is very near perfect, just stuck.
          It just makes me want to get it squared away that much more.

Comment

• JordonC2
            • Jul 2021

Tried some heat and more Kroil. Still stuck. Which I knew how to take the mechanism apart to rebuild.

Comment

• dad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2018

Give some "Liquid Wrench" a shot at it. Make sure you let it sit for awhile then respray again and let it sit awhile longer. Good luck

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

After looking at the photos of a restored one, to refresh my memory, the handwheel is probably held in place by a set screw. If you can remove that then you should be able to start the disassembly process. I don't think it's a press fit. Soak Kroil around the shaft then gently tap it our using a wood block as a buffer. You do not want to hit metal on metal when removing it.

Comment

• JordonC2
                  • Jul 2021

Dutchman checked for set screw, looks like they used taper pins to mount wheel to platform.

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

Should be able to use a drift punch and a ball peen hammer to remove them, and work the hand wheel off the shaft. Then shoot some more Kroil into the bushing. If you can't work it out by hand, use a block of wood and a mallet and tap on the now exposed end of the shaft. That should free it up

Comment

• JordonC2
                      • Jul 2021

Guys I am stuck. I can't figure out how to get it unstuck. I have have to move on and finish my drum which I will attach to a Balazs pro platform for the time being.
                      I can come back to this platform in the future. If any of you have any suggestions how to fix please let me know.

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

Hate to say it, but you might have to take it to a good machine shop to rectify the issue, not an inexpensive proposition.

Comment

• Pete
                          • Nov 2020

If it is rust that is making it stick I would suggest making a electrolysis tank. It's easier than you might think. It won't damage the metal either. That platform is sweet, Good luck to you

Comment

• JordonC2
                            • Jul 2021

This fall I will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

• JordonC2
                              • Jul 2021

Spent the last 5 weeks spraying penetrating oil in the moving parts of the stand. Yesterday it broke free.
                              Now on to refurbishing.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...