X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3dvrmonster
    • Sep 2020

Bag spinning around

Ok so I am less than a month in learning to speed bag, so bare with me here please. I'm sure this is about as newbie of a question as it gets. I got a ball swivel, and I notice compared to say a u bolt design it spins out of control easier. I watch speedbag on the DVDs, and I notice he hits the bag at these odd angles on rebounds during say multi elbow strikes combos. How does one go from straight rebounds to side rebounds and back? I can do 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock rebounds. If the bag hits say 10 o'clock to 5 o'clock am I supposed to follow it there? This throws me off most of the time. 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock is currently impossible I miss everytime I try anything.

Basically I have the basic techniques down pretty well now. But, if the bag goes sideways, or does a circle 360 spin I have to stop. Any advice is appreciated!
  • 3dvrmonster
    • Sep 2020

I'm trying to not jump ahead in the DVDs and do them as I kinda master them. Hoping there is some trick to control the bag I am missing. I read in the book on side strikes, and linking in front to back side to side strikes my brain says ok I'm out!

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

Better baggers than I am here can give you better advice, but... I would generally say as you are learning, keep it slow. take some air out of the bag (more than you think you should). Speed only comes with control and the muscle memory. and it takes lots of time.
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• 3dvrmonster
        • Sep 2020

I got a 5 x 8 title classic before I found out I should start with a larger bag, so I got an everlast kangaroo 6 x 9 coming in the mail already. The title is slightly lopsided. I tried a larger bag, and my platform did not allow it. My design fault. I will try letting some air out to see how that goes. Thanks for advice!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by 3dvrmonster View Post
          Ok so I am less than a month in learning to speed bag, so bare with me here please. I'm sure this is about as newbie of a question as it gets. I got a ball swivel, and I notice compared to say a u bolt design it spins out of control easier. I watch speedbag on the DVDs, and I notice he hits the bag at these odd angles on rebounds during say multi elbow strikes combos. How does one go from straight rebounds to side rebounds and back? I can do 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock rebounds. If the bag hits say 10 o'clock to 5 o'clock am I supposed to follow it there? This throws me off most of the time. 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock is currently impossible I miss everytime I try anything.

Basically I have the basic techniques down pretty well now. But, if the bag goes sideways, or does a circle 360 spin I have to stop. Any advice is appreciated!
          Hey 3dvrmonster. Sorry I'm a bit late your post. I'll try to answer a few of your statements. You say you have only hit the bag for about a month? Great!! We love new baggers! Welcome under the board. You are experiencing issues with "the rebound angles" and that can get pretty confusing. I'll answer a few below:

How does one go from straight rebounds to side rebounds and back?

The best answer to this question is: Don't worry or focus on the rebounds at all. The speed bag is a mirror, reflecting exactly what you give Consider the word "Straight", as if the "bag is going straight." The truth is the bag IS always going "Straight" from the point of last contact and the direction of the punch. It has no other choice, So actually it is always going straight....but I understand "straight and sideways" are actually relation to your standing in the front, so in you case "straight" is "Front to back" of the board and "Sideways" is going across your face, more left to right. Sure, but the point is "the bag" is going where your last contact told it to. In theory, this can any one of the 360 degrees of a circle, and the bag may travel in "any" of those directions. With a little more control of YOUR MOVEMENTS, you can have better control of what rebound angle the bag goes on, but it is never the bags choice. It only goes where we send it. And in my experience "a helicopter" bag is create by several incorrect contacts or errors in a row...very seldom have I ever seen a "helicopter" start from "ONE bad punch". The "helicopter" is telling you that something in YOUR swing/contacts went bad and any attempt at correcting it made it worse. (* I'm gonna say that some swivels, particular U-bolts can sometimes affect the "actual rebound angle" but that is another story)

If the bag hits say 10 o'clock to 5 o'clock am I supposed to follow it there?

My answer would be "NO", You can't follow every rebound the bag makes, there are way too many of them and the angles are always changing. So what's the secret?? My answer is don't worry about the rebounds at this point. The truth is....In almost every single case it doesn't really matter what the "angle" is because the next punch can make good contact and completely change the rebound angle again.. over and over, going in totally different directions at any time. And with control (fist control) that direction can be anywhere YOU want it to be.

So what I suggest is: At this point, don't worry or over react to "weird rebound angles".. unless it throws you off completely... and if it does, ask yourself "why did the bag go that way?" trust me. it went exactly where YOU sent it, so try to figure out what you did to end up with that rebound angle. That is often hard to know particularly if you are a beginner. that helps to have someone else watch. Maybe post a few youtube video's to show.

For training purposes.. focus on the basic movements, four punches from the front of the bag (Front Circle Punch (FCP) Front Straight Punch (FSP), Front Double Punch (FDP) and Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll), three Punches from the back - Reverse Single Punch (RSP), Reverse Double Punch (RDP) and Reverse Fist Rolling
          (R-Roll) and passing the fists through the bag, called "linking". You can "link through the bag" with one first or both. When you can do these with control, and few (if any) "helicopters" then move to the elbow strikes, which all contact the front area of the bag. (All of these techniques hit the front area of the bag and help establish a tradition "X" rebound pattern, so there should be no "sideways" rebounds. IF the bag ends up going "sideways" then again, ask yourself "what did I do to cause that." It's just that simple. Punch correctly, with equal and repetitive for and motion... and the bag will do exactly what it is supposed to do, and the rebounds will reflect that control.

Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck in your training.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 10-23-2020, 11:51 AM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• 3dvrmonster
            • Sep 2020

That makes total sense. I will practice as you say, and try to focus on my fist control. I will also wait for elbows until I can link with no helicopters. Thank you so much for the great advice!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

That makes total sense. I will practice as you say, and try to focus on my fist control. I will also wait for elbows until I can link with no helicopters. Thank you so much for the great advice!
              I hope it helps.

After I posted that I was thinking I might have asked if you were trying to do some kind of super-complicated fancy combination you saw off youtube or instagram. There are now "A LOT" of teaching video's on those formats demonstration very complicated, extremely intricated advanced combinations, ....and that is what a new bagger sees, and they keep trying to learn it, never thinking that is way more complicated than they need to deal with...but it looks so cool and they want to do THAT, never understanding half of what is required to do that combo or understand why that person can even do that combination. I also see a certain number of people on the platforms demonstrating their attempts at those combinations, asking for help ...because "it's hard" .I would say they are wasting their training time on that, but that is their own decision. Stay with the basics, and soon those others will make a lot more sense.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• DizzyD
                • Jun 2020

In my opinion: go slow and stick to the speedbagbible, page by page. That’s the best training you can get. You’ll see that all techniques and combinations are at first reduced to their easiest level and grow with every exercise.

For myself I often am fascinated by others showing some new patterns and of course, it’s exciting and fun to try something new. Adding this to your training is really great and opens the perspective on how to do moves, but always returning to the Bible and the basics.

Comment

• BagBoy
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2018

Hit the bag Straight On from whatever angle or direction and it will respond accordingly.

#ControlBag
                  Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
                    Hit the bag Straight On from whatever angle or direction and it will respond accordingly.

#ControlBag
                    True! and when it doesn't ...I find it comforting to blame it on the swivel. Pesky little Rascals!

(Stay Warm, my Canadian Friend!)
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BagBoy
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

True! and when it doesn't ...I find it comforting to blame it on the swivel. Pesky little Rascals!

(Stay Warm, my Canadian Friend!)
                      LOL I do admit to blaming the bag at one time or another

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• rdshackleford
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2016

I ALWAYS blame it on the swivel. Its certainly not my mad bagging skills.
                        @ArcSwivel
                        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• 3dvrmonster
                          • Sep 2020

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

I hope it helps.

After I posted that I was thinking I might have asked if you were trying to do some kind of super-complicated fancy combination you saw off youtube or instagram. There are now "A LOT" of teaching video's on those formats demonstration very complicated, extremely intricated advanced combinations, ....and that is what a new bagger sees, and they keep trying to learn it, never thinking that is way more complicated than they need to deal with...but it looks so cool and they want to do THAT, never understanding half of what is required to do that combo or understand why that person can even do that combination. I also see a certain number of people on the platforms demonstrating their attempts at those combinations, asking for help ...because "it's hard" .I would say they are wasting their training time on that, but that is their own decision. Stay with the basics, and soon those others will make a lot more sense.
                          Not trying complicated stuff just the basics. It's just like you say though now that I analyze what is making it go out of control. It's not just one off center hit it's usually the 2nd off hit that makes it helicopter. Mainly "fist control" I will be focusing my energy towards this skill!

Comment

• BagBoy
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jan 2018

it's usually the 2nd off hit that makes it helicopter.
                            So why is that? Is your second hit/fist setting the bag in a rogue direction? If the bag responds accordingly to the first hit then why is the second hit throwing everything off?
                            Last edited by BagBoy; 10-29-2020, 12:40 PM.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• 3dvrmonster
                              • Sep 2020

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post

So why is that? Is your second hit/fist setting the bag in a rogue direction? If the bag responds accordingly to the first hit then why is the second hit throwing everything off?
                              I understand why now. I was getting them more often when fatigued, and my accuracy, control, focus faltered. I'm still developing my endurance, so I ignored the cramping feeling from fatigue. This slows my response, and hinders my accuracy/control. Atleast it's all I can think to blame it on.. my skills being the more obvious answer, but I'm learning haha!

From what I've learned an off center hit doesn't matter right now as long as the next hit is on center. Helicopter bag is from multiple off center hits. I get them 1 or 2 times per 5 minute session now usually towards the end. I was at one point batting it around chasing it trying to reverse the rebound, before learning why it was doing that. Now I just stop, reset, and try to not correct the spin.

Something else I did before learning this that's funny too. I put down a few 3/4 pieces of plywood to stand on essentially making me taller. Then I did exactly what speedbag said not to do in dvd . I tried to catch the helicopter with a downward elbow, and I smacked the platform with my knuckle/finger as I came with my fist down! Funny now, but not funny at the time haha.
                              Last edited by 3dvrmonster; 10-29-2020, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...