• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomwilson
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2020

A technique question

I'm new here and I'm learning some basic moves with my speed bag. I think I need some advice on the roll: how can I keep it stable/consistent? After a few rolls, my bag seems to go chaotically. Is this because my hands didn't overlap enough or too much?
  • pinzpirate
    • Feb 2020

When it's right your fists are rolling over each other the size of the bag causes you to make larger or smaller circles to some degree
    The key is hit the bag straight so it comes back to where your fists are It's impossible to hit the bag straight at angles each punch
    knocks the bag farther out of trajectory Each time you practice hopefully you can hit the bag straighter Maybe slowing down might
    help Welcome to the club Good Luck!

Comment

• Chappelle4Life
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2020

Rolling your knuckles over each other as well as “pawing” down the bag with the pinky finger kinda helped me.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by tomwilson View Post
        I'm new here and I'm learning some basic moves with my speed bag. I think I need some advice on the roll: how can I keep it stable/consistent? After a few rolls, my bag seems to go chaotically. Is this because my hands didn't overlap enough or too much?
        Hey tom. I can offer a few suggestions for Front Fist Rolling. The first is move In closer to the bag your fists are about level with your elbows. This will help accentuate your "V" shape, with the two Elbows being the two edges of the "V" and your fists are the sharp point. This illustrates the fists "inside" or more likely parallel with the elbow, creating a "pocket" for the rolling motion and bag. A lot of beginners reach their fists "out to the bag" So their fists are may 2-4 inches extended past their elbows, and that can create problems. To help make the "V", Try to have your rolling fists really close to your chin and lean into the bag for the roll. This will have you hitting the bag a bit earlier in the rebound, when the bag is about half-way off the board before it's straight under the swivel. This will eventually help you roll faster because it's a short rebound, but it also helps correct mishits, because the bag can't go off to far in a wrong direction if you make a poor punch. Remember that the bag is only a "mirror of what you give it" It is not going off "chaotically" on it's own. It's reflecting your punches.

A good way to practice is NOT just rolling until you crash. Set a number of contacts in your roll, and add one or two more when you can do that give number smoothly Keep it simple.

Start with a 3-punch roll. Begin with your dominant hand (right) Go ...Right - Left - Right with one rebound inbetween ( R ' L ' R ) Start by just hitting Right Front Circle Punches (FCP) repetitively in the triplet rhythm. have your left fist up and ready, then do a 3-punch roll. It won't feel like a roll but don't worry about that. You are focusing on fist control, not extended rolling yet.

So...R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' L ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' L ' R ' ' '

Notice this quick roll starts and ends with on the "same" fist (R). This is key to remember, because when you use an ODD number off punches, and start with your dominant fist, that fist will be on punch 1 - 3 - 5 - 7.... Those are you entrance and exit punches. After you do the "3-punch Roll" add two more and go to FIVE

R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' L ' R ' L ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' L ' R ' L ' R ' R ' ' ' ....repeat. This will feel more like a roll. When you can do this well...move it to seven

R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' L ' R ' L ' R ' L ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' L ' R ' L ' R ' L ' R ' R ' ' ' Note all of these are ODD number rolls. You can also do the same starting with your non-dominate hand

starting with the LEFT. That will more difficult and is why I focus on letting your dominant fist be the lead fist to Start and End the Fist Roll.

IF YOU USE "EVEN NUMBER" ROLLS (4-6-8).... You will start on one fist and end on the other. That is More complicated for a beginner. (four punches...R ' L ' R ' L )

To use this in "The Basic Rhythm" punching pattern, You will start the Roll when your right fist makes a Front Circle Punch ( FCP ), because that is the side of the fist...the same fist contact as the Roll, not the Front Straight Punch, which hits the front of the fist

So...the basic pattern is: Front Straight Punch ' ' ' Front Circle Punch ' ' ' Front Straight Punch ' ' ' Front Circle Punch

R (FSP) ' ' ' R ( FCP) ' ' ' L (FSP) ' ' ' L (FCP) ' ' ' R (FSP) ' ' ' R -L-R ' ' ' R ( FCP) ' ' ' L (FSP) (3-punch)

or

R (FSP) ' ' ' R ( FCP) ' ' ' L (FSP) ' ' ' L (FCP) ' ' ' R (FSP) ' ' ' R - L - R - L- R ' ' ' R ( FCP) ' ' ' L (FSP) ( 5 punch)

then go to "7" and "9" ..... until you are rolling as long as you want. Personally, IMO once you get to "9"....You got it.

Of course you can work on using even number fist rolls, and I suggest you let the "last fist in Roll" be the next fist to return to the bag.

Try this for a few work outs and see if you fist rolling improves.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...