Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How useful/important is a speedbag really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How useful/important is a speedbag really?

Hi guy,

Basically the college club/gym I have been a part of for four years has heavy bags, a double end bag, and a "wrecking ball" style heavybag.We have a speed bag but we never use it because it is in disrepair.

I was wondering how important it is to actually use a speed bag for boxing and how much of it is just for show since it is a stereotypical boxing workout/activity and whether or not I've been missing out on something critical for the past 3ish years

Thank you

Originally posted by WillieBoykin View Post
    Hi guy,

Basically the college club/gym I have been a part of for four years has heavy bags, a double end bag, and a "wrecking ball" style heavybag.We have a speed bag but we never use it because it is in disrepair.

I was wondering how important it is to actually use a speed bag for boxing and how much of it is just for show since it is a stereotypical boxing workout/activity and whether or not I've been missing out on something critical for the past 3ish years

Thank you
    I'm not sure it's useful at all for boxing, but speed bag in it's own regard is fun and addictive. I speed bag for speed bag's sake.

Comment

I would like to debate this.

I think boxing-style speed bagging builds and tones some muscles that do not get worked as much with other traditional boxing workouts. Forget all that hand-eye coordination horseshit. You get better hand-eye coordination blocking punches in sparring or using a double-end bag.

What boxing-style speed bagging really gives you is the ability to hold your gloves up high, round after round. Like the referee always tells the fighters, "protect yourselves at all times".
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

I would never claim to be an authority in the Art of boxing but my first right of passage as a young boy was when my father asked me if I wanted to stay up late and watch

Comment

Sorry I keep having that problem, let's try again. I would never claim to be an authority in the Art of boxing but my first right of passage was when my Dad asked me if I wanted to stay up late and watch "Friday Night at the Fights" with him (Thanks Dad).My interest in boxing has remained with me to this day. I could not agree with rhshackleford more, "What boxing-style speed bagging really gives you is the ability to hold your gloves up high, round after round" For what it's worth I think this is what you've been missing.

Comment

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
            I would like to debate this.

I think boxing-style speed bagging builds and tones some muscles that do not get worked as much with other traditional boxing workouts. Forget all that hand-eye coordination horseshit. You get better hand-eye coordination blocking punches in sparring or using a double-end bag.

What boxing-style speed bagging really gives you is the ability to hold your gloves up high, round after round. Like the referee always tells the fighters, "protect yourselves at all times".
            That's why many boxers hit the bag full bore for 2 minutes while training The first few times you do it you'll know which muscles you're conditioning

Comment

This thread pretty much hit the bag dead on...https://speedbagforum.com/forums/for...of-a-speed-bag

Comment

the debate in this thread lacks substance.
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...
                X