X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glus
    • Apr 2020

Bag ID and age?

I bought this on eBay last week, arrived today. It's 11x8, the inside lining is woven white stuff. I gave it some mink oil, in decent shape and price wasn't bad. The loop looks worse than it is, a little worn on the sides, but pretty good, not torn or missing much material.

EDIT: I can't even tell for sure that the panels are leather. The welts between them are.

Can anyone tell approximately how old this is?

Checking posts 6-7 here, would it be comparable to a 4202, but before they started that numbering system? Can anyone tell from texture if this is kidskin or something else?

I added an Everlast orange bladder. Hits nice - I like it already.

I haven't hit on it much though because the tongue was ripped out, and what was left looks only about half of what it should be. I can make something up, a 'cap' like I found in the 4210. I haven't yet searched threads to see how folks here have handled that. And, I ordered tan leather laces

Thanks for any info.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glus; 07-12-2020, 12:19 AM.
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Oh it's leather, this is an early kangaroo leather bag, from the late 1950's, early to mid1960's before the black with red welting line was introduced. I recall seeing some old new stock of these in a sporting goods store in the mid 70's. Apparently they were not inexpensive in their day, and the store owner was still trying to sell them at their list price, alongside the new line.

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

I had a very similar bag, mine was marked 4202. It was a dead bag, I hated it. I re-sold it.

@ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Dead after a new bladder? I have the 4203 Kangaroo, nice lively big bag after given an orange Title bladder (the original bladder was shot).

Comment

• glus
          • Apr 2020

Thanks a lot Dutchman for the info.

wow Rusty that was one pristine classic! Or you have some serious restoration skills. Too bad it was a dud. At least you took a photo.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by glus View Post
            I bought this on eBay last week, arrived today. It's 11x8, the inside lining is woven white stuff. I gave it some mink oil, in decent shape and price wasn't bad. The loop looks worse than it is, a little worn on the sides, but pretty good, not torn or missing much material.

EDIT: I can't even tell for sure that the panels are leather. The welts between them are.

Can anyone tell approximately how old this is?

Checking posts 6-7 here, would it be comparable to a 4202, but before they started that numbering system? Can anyone tell from texture if this is kidskin or something else?

I added an Everlast orange bladder. Hits nice - I like it already.

I haven't hit on it much though because the tongue was ripped out, and what was left looks only about half of what it should be. I can make something up, a 'cap' like I found in the 4210. I haven't yet searched threads to see how folks here have handled that. And, I ordered tan leather laces

Thanks for any info.
            That's a royal beauty!
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...