• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouisvilleBagr
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jun 2019

Vintage Everlast Original Bladder Problem

I have a 4200 with the original plastic bladder. When a I first acquired the bag it was easily inflated and hold air nicely. Every month or so I go through and pump a a little more air in to keep their shape. I tried to pump this one up a little bit then other day and the needle will not penetrate the bladder. I can push the needle all the way into the hole. The bag does not leak any air when I squeeze it.

Has anyone possible run into this problem and know some tips or tricks to save it?

• Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

The plastic bladders are notorious for seam failures. If you can insert the needle all the way into the valve, but you can't fill the bladder, it's probably blown a seam.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      The plastic bladders are notorious for seam failures. If you can insert the needle all the way into the valve, but you can't fill the bladder, it's probably blown a seam.

Thank you, sir. So once the seam blows it’s a done deal? I’m trying to imagine what that exactly is? Forgive my ignorance. When I think blown, I think leak. What exactly happens when it has a blown seam, but still holds air.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

LousvilleBagr nailed it. Back in the 70's (old dude...) I tried to patch many a leaky seam. Sometimes it worked for a while, but it was temporary at best. This is probably what it looks like. Sometimes on a hard punch one whole side of the seam would blow with a loud POP.

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
        I have a 4200 with the original plastic bladder. When a I first acquired the bag it was easily inflated and hold air nicely. Every month or so I go through and pump a a little more air in to keep their shape. I tried to pump this one up a little bit then other day and the needle will not penetrate the bladder. I can push the needle all the way into the hole. The bag does not leak any air when I squeeze it.

Has anyone possible run into this problem and know some tips or tricks to save it?

Attached Files
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Yes, the bladder is made of two pieces of plastic, that are heat welded together. Once that weld fails it's done. People have tried gluing the seam back together, but with little to no success. There is some new old stock being sold, on Amazon but no new ones being made. Title experimented with them too, briefly, but no longer list them.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jun 2019

Thanks again gentlemen, bladder swap it shall be.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Yes, the bladder is made of two pieces of plastic, that are heat welded together. Once that weld fails it's done. People have tried gluing the seam back together, but with little to no success. There is some new old stock being sold, on Amazon but no new ones being made. Title experimented with them too, briefly, but no longer list them.
              Back when I was too "financially strapped" to buy another bag, I would have to punch one to death, ....sew up split seams and patch leaks. I used many a bicycle tire patch trying to straddle a seam leak. It might last two workouts and then leak like a mother.... The only thing i miss about the red bladder is.... to me they were fast.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2016

In my experience, the red plastic bladders can be the lightest and fastest, but ONLY if they fill the volume of the bag properly and can expand it just ever so much. The red plastic bladder has a very narrow range of volume and pressure. If it fits the bag perfectly, it can be the best bladder possible because of its light weight. If it doesn't fit perfectly, its a loser. And I suppose it also depends on the bag leather. The leather has to have some stretch and some bounce within itself.
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jun 2019

Good news! I figured I had nothing to lose, so I just started rather violently jabbing the needle into the hole. Wiggling it around a little bit after every strike. Eventually it made entry and I filled it right up, holding air perfectly.

It's a 4200 miracle.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

To coin a phrase "hit it until it fails"......

Comment

• Zaz
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post

Is this the 4200 that I sold you?

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Zaz View Post
                        Is this the 4200 that I sold you?
                        no, that's another one that is also mint. No problems at all with the brand new one from you!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...