X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gfe76
    • Dec 2011

Alan

I was reviewing some of Alan's videos. All I can say is I am not worthy of my Narragansett platform!
  • Zaz
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2018

You set the bar very high by comparing yourself to the godfather of speed bag. At least you didn't use the drum of your Narragansett platform to make a coffee table...

Comment

• gfe76
      • Dec 2011

yes. and mine is a NGE...not a later NMC...

Comment

• Zaz
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2018

The only time i had the chance to try a Narragansett platform was during a visit at Gleason's gym in Brooklyn. The platform was previously owned by former heavyweight champion Jack Dempsey.
        Attached Files

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

Wow, nice pics, thanks. I was lucky to have access to a Narragansett platform during my undergraduate days at Lehigh University's Taylor Gym in the late '80s. Besides the platform, they had a huge vintage heavy bag, a boxing ring, and a whole back room full of boxing gear free for student use. We used to have pick up boxing matches every once in a while. Nothing too violent, just a bunch of goofey guys putting on the gloves and letting off some academic steam.
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Zaz
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2018

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
            Wow, nice pics, thanks. I was lucky to have access to a Narragansett platform during my undergraduate days at Lehigh University's Taylor Gym in the late '80s. Besides the platform, they had a huge vintage heavy bag, a boxing ring, and a whole back room full of boxing gear free for student use. We used to have pick up boxing matches every once in a while. Nothing too violent, just a bunch of goofey guys putting on the gloves and letting off some academic steam.
            You're welcome Rusty. Do you know what happened to the Narragansett platform that there was in the gym you are talking about?

Comment

• dad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2018

Zaz, thanks for the cool pic’s
              gfe76," mine is a NGE...not a later NMC”...
              You have my curiosity up, as a rookie on the block please give me some understanding of NGE and NMC?
              Is that Narragansett Engineering and Narragansett Machine Company?
              Did someone buy them out?
              Was there a difference?
              If so what are they?

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

NGE stands for Narrangansett Gymnasium Equipment, which from what I've been able to determine was the successor to the Narrangansett Machine Co. It didn't survive long and the assets were sold off, the old Everlast company buying most of the boxing equipment line

Comment

• dad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2018

Great info, thanks Dutchman.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by gfe76 View Post
                    I was reviewing some of Alan's videos. All I can say is I am not worthy of my Narragansett platform!
                    Hey gfe76. Thanks very much for the compliment however don't judge your worthiness to own and cherish classic speed bag equipment by somebody else's skill in comparison to yours. That is irrelevant. There is ALWAYS somebody better then "you" (meaning "the reader"). I can name at least five forum members that I can honestly say I'd be their warm up act. the level of Speed Bag skills have gone way past what I ever imagined could be done. Every gathering leaves me in Awe of this next generation.

But to your topic of classic top of the line speed bag equipment, I think all that really demands is someone, like you, that honors it, cares of it, wants to know the history and gives it your best shot. A great board covers ALL baggers that love it. I'm pretty sure that NGE Board is very proud to be owned by someone that actually cares about it's quality and history. Think of all of it's brothers and sisters, that dies miserably, rotting out in some old gym, long closed, or tossed out with the rest of the unused boxing equipment. Think of it as your dear old great grandfather, who you will care for until his last breath, or punch. That's all any of could do, regardless of skill level.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• pinzpirate
                      • Feb 2020

That's what I like about this forum, some are into collecting gear and memorabilia, others building or modifying their stuff
                      Everyone is supportive of what ever someone is doing, and all have that"Carpe Diem" attitude ! Ya'll have a Great weekend

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by gfe76 View Post
                        “Comparison is the thief of joy” - Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by pinzpirate View Post
                          That's what I like about this forum, some are into collecting gear and memorabilia, others building or modifying their stuff
                          Everyone is supportive of what ever someone is doing, and all have that"Carpe Diem" attitude ! Ya'll have a Great weekend
                          This forum has from the beginning been a means of teaching and support. We are all teachers here, instructing the new members with what we know, to carry on to the next group that discovers us. You will find that "ego" is not a thing here, as we all know that there is always someone who is better than you, or maybe knows more than you. It's truly an educational experience.

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post

This forum has from the beginning been a means of teaching and support. We are all teachers here, instructing the new members with what we know, to carry on to the next group that discovers us. You will find that "ego" is not a thing here, as we all know that there is always someone who is better than you, or maybe knows more than you. It's truly an educational experience.
                            Says it all.
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...