• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

Swivel Question

Can anyone tell me what’s up with this Everlast swivel? What is the black part of the base? Is it rubber or plastic, and did this design come before or after the all metal version of the swivel and why?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Everlast-44...2e62%7Ciid%3A1
    Last edited by riqal; 02-21-2020, 01:39 PM.
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

I have that one. The black base IS plastic and of course the rest is metal. I ended up spray painting the black to silver to make it look to be metal. #OCD Dutchman posted something not long ago about the plastic base but I've no idea what thread that may be in and I don't want to guess on what he said. Plastic base seems like a money saving ploy on Everlast's part. ?
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

that is a sad swivel
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• riqal
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
        that is a sad swivel
        Sad how? Because it has a plastic base? I owned the all metal version of this swivel, and it performed well. However, it was a little noisy. I’m wondering if maybe with this plastic design it is quieter than it’s all metal counterpart.

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

It was reduction in production expense. The flanges were originally castings that were machined. It was less expensive to make the flanges out of Delrin, with an injection molding machine the number of steps were greatly reduced. https://www.dupont.com/products/delrin.html

Comment

• riqal
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            It was reduction in production expense. The flanges were originally castings that were machined. It was less expensive to make the flanges out of Delrin, with an injection molding machine the number of steps were greatly reduced. https://www.dupont.com/products/delrin.html
            Thank you.

Comment

• riqal
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
              I have that one. The black base IS plastic and of course the rest is metal. I ended up spray painting the black to silver to make it look to be metal. #OCD Dutchman posted something not long ago about the plastic base but I've no idea what thread that may be in and I don't want to guess on what he said. Plastic base seems like a money saving ploy on Everlast's part. ?
              Is it a durable plastic material? How does the swivel perform?

Comment

• BagBoy
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by riqal View Post

I used it for about two weeks. Didn't have any problems at all and performed as a chain link normally does. Keep in mind, I'm not a chain link guy. I just have it in on my swivel collection board.
                Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post

Plastic Ballhook Swivel on a Board. Here is a classic video performance. I'd say it held up prettttty well. (start 1:28)

Got a chance to perform at Grace Church in STL with a group Stick Yard in a show called Drummer Boy. This was "Joy to the SpeedBag"

My own variation was to drop out the plastic ball and hook, (which tended to "float" and the screw would come out of the ball if you didn't superglue it inside,) and then put a steel ball and hook into the plastic housing. I loved that set up. Still do as it is very accurate with minimal "clank" of the shank on the housing.

Punch drumming(TM) to repetitive drum patterns from several songs by Chrystal Method, "Keep Hope Alive" and "Blow out". These really demonstrate the cadence ...

Read the section down this page on the Plastic Ball Hook swivel.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

The more modern plastic ballhooks like in speedbag's links are not Delrin. I believe they are ABS. Dutchman, what makes you say the vintage plastic base in the original post is Delrin? I ask because I would be surprised they would you such a high performance and expensive plastic on a speed bag swivel which doesn't require any of the special properties of acetal.
                    @ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                      Speed Bag Historian
                      • Jun 2006

I've had a couple of these swivels over the years, never heard of any problems with the base (the male half, that's another story) as far as the threaded portion or the mounting holes. Delrin was/is used in the manufacturing of NMRA (National Model Railroad Association) design couplers. I had noticed that the properties in the material in both the base and the couplers were the same, or really close to it. Could the base have been made of something other than Delrin? Quite possibly, As I recall these swivels were made after the company had been sold and a large portion of the manufacturing was outsourced to China. It could have been made with a material with Delrin like qualities, but not necessarily Delrin (which wouldn't surprise me. Thanks for poking the old grey matter Rusty......

Comment

• rdshackleford
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2016

Now you got me scratching my head. Maybe I am full of it, and those modern bases are Delrin? I really didn't try to figure it out for sure. I could try to measure the density, that might help. But the surface doesn't feel, to me, very much like the Delrin I use in the Arc swivel (the white ball).
                        @ArcSwivel
                        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...