• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouisvilleBagr
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jun 2019

Documented proof of Speed Bag Benefits

I’m currently talking to some decision makers at my employer about setting up a board at work. I’m going at it from a health/wellness angle. They are actually excited about the idea of putting up a board and letting me teach the basics to employees. Does anyone have some links to any legit studies/articles detailing the physical or mental benefits of bagging? The more ammunition I have the better. There may be miles of Fortune 50 red tape to cut through to get this done.
    Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 12-05-2019, 03:04 AM.
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

Does glee, bliss and joy count? I think we can all agree that there is a kind of "runners high" involved.

I'm pretty sure I've seen pages/threads where this is addressed - don't quote me on it though.
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jun 2019

I'm a fairly good salesman, so I think I can close it. I was hoping to maybe bring some articles or studies as extra ammunition.

I will make this happen.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jun 2019

I'm a little pressed for time this time of year, so if anyone can help me dig something up, I would be forever grateful.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
          I’m currently talking to some decision makers at my employer about setting up a board at work. I’m going at it from a health/wellness angle. They are actually excited about the idea of putting up a board and letting me teach the basics to employees. Does anyone have some links to any legit studies/articles detailing the physical or mental benefits of bagging? The more ammunition I have the better. There may be miles of Fortune 50 red tape to cut through to get this done.
          The secret to your request is "legit...." which usually means studies done under recognized protocols (to remember my graduate statistics days..) with reproduceable measures of statstical "validity" and "reliability" . I've been chasing this same thing for 30 years, and boy would I love to find some research minded/skilled people to design such a study for fitness and benefits, especially for various movement disorders. That has yet to happen....

Anyway to be brief there are NO speed bag specific studies that I have found. Some on punching, boxing etc. but nothing dedicated to speed bag.

You can peruse a few of these to see if they are helpful.

Background High-intensity interval training (HIIT) performed on exercise cycle or treadmill is considered safe and often more beneficial for fat loss and cardiometabolic health than moderate-intensity continuous training (MICT). The aim of this pilot study was to assess the feasibility and effectiveness of a 12-week boxing training (HIIT) intervention compared with an equivalent dose of brisk walking (MICT) in obese adults. Methods Men and women with abdominal obesity and body mass index >25 kg/m2 were randomized to either a boxing group or a brisk walking (control) group for 12 weeks. Each group engaged in 4 training sessions per week, equated for total physical activity. Feasibility outcomes included recruitment rates, assessment of training intensities, adherence and adverse events. Effectiveness was assessed pre and post intervention via pertinent obesity-, cardiovascular-, and health-related quality of life (HRQoL) outcomes. Results Nineteen individuals expressed an interest and 63% (n = 12) consented. Recruitment was slower than anticipated (1.3 participants/week). The boxing group trained at a significantly higher intensity each week versus the brisk walking group (p 

"International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance" published on by Human Kinetics.

punching
          |https://www.sciencedirect.com/search...nce&cid=282623

bag punching (none)

padded hand punching

The mother-load of ALL published research in the world can be found at PUBMED.GOV, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/) a clearing house of probably 95% of the accepted research journals around the world that deal with medical topics. I use it A LOT for many topics of interest. Type your topic in the search bar and if you get any hits, follow some of the "related" topics or bibliography listed in the study you are reading.

{Speedbag) (nothing)

"Bag Punching" (you need the quotations to specify both words.IF not, it will show every article with one, the other, or both and triple your review time)

Pubmed search for all publications by "sports science journal" listings

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22J+Sports+Sci%22[jour]

The aim of this study was to determine the relationship between the reductions in momentum of punching arm segments and the impulse of the impact force when boxers throw a punch at a movable target with a mass almost equal to that of the human head. Nine male expert collegiate boxers threw a rear-ha …

Punching bag For mental stress in children (not speed bag)

Most "research" you can find will be Anecdotal with no actual physiological measurement to back it up. Advertisers love it because it works for people looking for "proof" of what they want. Of course we baggers have used this ourselves, sure of self improvements made by bagging, however if not done and measure by research protocol with measures of "validity" and "reliability", it will never be seen as anything but Anecdotal.

Speed bag training is one of the most fun, high intensity, quick workouts that you can do. The results you can get from short but…

All speed bags are punching bags, but not all punching bags are speed bags. In boxing parlance, punching bag is the generic term applied to all such tools, but most "civilians" mean a standard heavy bag. Both heavy and speed bags can produce health benefits if used correctly as part of a systematic regimen.

Hitting the speed bag is not just for boxers - it's a fun workout Looking for a creative way to add some fun to your workout? Consider speed bag punching. Boxers are universally known as the hardest working, leanest, and most well-conditioned athletes on the planet. That's because facing an…

The speed bag is one of the most useful training equipment for boxing and any striking-based martial art. Obviously, every martial art gym needs to own this amazing training tool. Because it does not only improve boxing skills but also improves physical fitness and it can even calm your body, and mind. So, most fitness

Boxing (including speed bag ) in parkinsons

Despite the progressive nature of PD, the patients in this case series showed short-term and long-term improvements in balance, gait, activities of daily living, and quality of life after the boxing training program. A longer duration of training was necessary for patients with moderate to severe PD …

That's all I got.

good luck.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

AK, that is awesome sauce!!

To put in my $.02, I would like to find some peer-reviewed research papers talking concerning the risks of certain sport activities like punching while recouperating from arm/shoulder/hand surgery. For those who believe in the theraputic and fitness benefits of the punching arts, we sometimes find ourselves in the post-operative and physical therapy times. And also long term after PT, what is safe/beneficial and what is risky/dangerous? It is not obvious to me, and when you ask your surgeon or physical therapist, they have little understanding about this uncommon activity on the fringe of the sports world.
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Mickey Dix
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jul 2019

Thanks Alan , Rusty for the very useful information. Good luck LouisvilleBagr with your endeavors.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

The secret to your request is "legit...." which usually means studies done under recognized protocols (to remember my graduate statistics days..) with reproduceable measures of statstical "validity" and "reliability" . I've been chasing this same thing for 30 years, and boy would I love to find some research minded/skilled people to design such a study for fitness and benefits, especially for various movement disorders. That has yet to happen....

Anyway to be brief there are NO speed bag specific studies that I have found. Some on punching, boxing etc. but nothing dedicated to speed bag.

You can peruse a few of these to see if they are helpful.

https://bmcsportsscimedrehabil.biome.../2052-1847-7-3

https://journals.humankinetics.com/v...p-overview.xml

https://www.sciencedirect.com/journa...health-science

punching
                |https://www.sciencedirect.com/search...nce&cid=282623

bag punching (none)
                https://www.sciencedirect.com/search...nce&cid=282623

padded hand punching
                https://www.journals.aiac.org.au/ind...icle/view/1906

The mother-load of ALL published research in the world can be found at PUBMED.GOV, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/) a clearing house of probably 95% of the accepted research journals around the world that deal with medical topics. I use it A LOT for many topics of interest. Type your topic in the search bar and if you get any hits, follow some of the "related" topics or bibliography listed in the study you are reading.

{Speedbag) (nothing)

"Bag Punching" (you need the quotations to specify both words.IF not, it will show every article with one, the other, or both and triple your review time)
                https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ag+punching%22

Pubmed search for all publications by "sports science journal" listings

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22J+Sports+Sci%22[jour]

The aim of this study was to determine the relationship between the reductions in momentum of punching arm segments and the impulse of the impact force when boxers throw a punch at a movable target with a mass almost equal to that of the human head. Nine male expert collegiate boxers threw a rear-ha …

Punching bag For mental stress in children (not speed bag)

Most "research" you can find will be Anecdotal with no actual physiological measurement to back it up. Advertisers love it because it works for people looking for "proof" of what they want. Of course we baggers have used this ourselves, sure of self improvements made by bagging, however if not done and measure by research protocol with measures of "validity" and "reliability", it will never be seen as anything but Anecdotal.

https://cardiosmash.com/23-benefits-...g-a-speed-bag/

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=459343

https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...-punching-bag/

https://www.theboxxmethod.com/blog/c...g-build-muscle

https://www.titleboxing.com/news/spe...-the-speed-bag

Hitting the speed bag is not just for boxers - it's a fun workout Looking for a creative way to add some fun to your workout? Consider speed bag punching. Boxers are universally known as the hardest working, leanest, and most well-conditioned athletes on the planet. That's because facing an…

https://findbestboxinggloves.com/8-a...-bag-training/

Boxing (including speed bag ) in parkinsons

Despite the progressive nature of PD, the patients in this case series showed short-term and long-term improvements in balance, gait, activities of daily living, and quality of life after the boxing training program. A longer duration of training was necessary for patients with moderate to severe PD …

That's all I got.

good luck.
                Thank you SO much, this will be very helpful. My hope is to teach people who want to improve their heath/fitness or are just interested. I hope to get the company’s blessing and incorporate this as an option in our health and wellness program.

We also have a large number of special needs employees. I don’t have enough knowledge to attempt to sell including them. I can only imagine how some of them would take to the speed bag? Something tells me it would really work wonders for many.
                Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 12-09-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                  AK, that is awesome sauce!!

To put in my $.02, I would like to find some peer-reviewed research papers talking concerning the risks of certain sport activities like punching while recouperating from arm/shoulder/hand surgery. For those who believe in the theraputic and fitness benefits of the punching arts, we sometimes find ourselves in the post-operative and physical therapy times. And also long term after PT, what is safe/beneficial and what is risky/dangerous? It is not obvious to me, and when you ask your surgeon or physical therapist, they have little understanding about this uncommon activity on the fringe of the sports world.
                  i understand exactly. Since we've both had shoulder replacement, (here's mine), I can tell you both my shoulder replacement surgeon and my ACT (Athletic Trainer Certified), particularly the latter that I see on a regular basis, Have told me that anything that "impacts" the glenoid (socket) with force is detrimental, including full power Heavy bag punching (full force back up into the shoulder socket), Heavy Bench press, heavy lateral raises, (surgeon says always do these more forward, never outside-ways), Clapping push ups where you push up, clap, then fall full force down on hands pushing back up into shoulder socket....The speed bag is more a "shearing force" with little force project back INTO the glenoid socket. I can land a decent straight left, but never full power anymore because it does hurt and is not in the interest of my glenoid, which had no replacement button as your did. Our sockets are still bone, the humeral heads are now chrome, so the bone is going to lose. I suspect your surgeon would advise against anything that throws full force back into the socket. Actually my surgeon told me "If you just have to do presses, use dumbbells not a straight bar, and for push ups do them on your fist, not palm down because it changes the angle of force in the shoulder. My ACT (Lynn Glass) agrees. He spent a lot of time with the Justin Healers when they started, so he's use to the "I'm not going to quit, I'm going to do it again" mindset.

Fun fact (stupid on my part...) I made a video punching the speed bag "12 days" after my replacement and emailed it to Buz Burkhead (my surgeon), who was NOT impressed. And gave me a "cease and desist" order "right now" lest I rip off the subscapularis or Biceps tendon reinsertions. I followed that but made another one punch drumming at 3 months that he showed at an orthopedic conference.
                  Last edited by Speedbag; 12-09-2019, 08:26 PM.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thank you SO much, this will be very helpful. My hope is to teach people who want to improve their heath/fitness or are just interested. I hope to get the company’s blessing and incorporate this as an option in our health and wellness program.

We also have a large number of special needs employees. I don’t have enough knowledge to attempt to sell including them. I can only imagine how some of them would take to the speed bag? Something tells me it would really work wonders for many.
                    Especially with a knowledgeable instructor that can actually teach the basics of simple movements guided by sound. Remember to tell them, it is NOT a speed bag. It is a "control bag". If they can control their movements of speed and force, and do this repetitively....then the bag will do exactly as it is supposed to. And the sound will be their guide.

You can do this!

Good luck. Book and DVD's will be made available. I can also write a letter of recommendation for you.

Not sure that will help but it can't hurt if you don't have speed bags there anyway...

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2016

... Our sockets are still bone, the humeral heads are now chrome, so the bone is going to lose.
                      Oh that's right, you had a hemi-arthroplasty. You told me that years ago, but at the time I didn't really understand it. Mine is a full replacement, so I have an inlay glenoid prosthesis made of UHMWPE.

I am almost 10 weeks out now and still under the strict rule of don't lift anything heavier than a coffee mug. Likewise I am being very patient and conservative with any movements outside of my PT. I am hoping at 12 weeks I will have my restrictions removed or lessened, that would be a good xmas present for me.

@ArcSwivel
                      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post

Oh that's right, you had a hemi-arthroplasty. You told me that years ago, but at the time I didn't really understand it. Mine is a full replacement, so I have an inlay glenoid prosthesis made of UHMWPE.

I am almost 10 weeks out now and still under the strict rule of don't lift anything heavier than a coffee mug. Likewise I am being very patient and conservative with any movements outside of my PT. I am hoping at 12 weeks I will have my restrictions removed or lessened, that would be a good xmas present for me.
                        Yep, your glenoid may be subject to different rules than mine, but I still suspect Direct impact into the joint will not be in the best interest of the UHMWPE or the bone it's anchored in. Take it easy and in a year you'll be back doing what you want at a very high level.!
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Jun 2019

Especially with a knowledgeable instructor that can actually teach the basics of simple movements guided by sound. Remember to tell them, it is NOT a speed bag. It is a "control bag". If they can control their movements of speed and force, and do this repetitively....then the bag will do exactly as it is supposed to. And the sound will be their guide.

You can do this!

Good luck. Book and DVD's will be made available. I can also write a letter of recommendation for you.

Not sure that will help but it can't hurt if you don't have speed bags there anyway...

Mr. Kahn, there are no words to describe how honored I am that you have taken so much precious time to support me on this idea.

We're all super busy here at work making sure you all get your new speedbags/speedballs in time for Christmas that there isnt much time for extras ,like my speedbag plan. I have a meeting with the head honcho of Health and Safety in the works. It may not happen until after Christmas, but it will happen.

This will give me a little time to put the bug in some of the other higher ups ears and try to build a consensus.

Maybe once I have my sales pitch organized, I can send it to you to read over and possibly make corrections/suggestions? If not, I totally understand, you've already gone above and beyond to help me....forever grateful!!!

J

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Mr. Kahn, there are no words to describe how honored I am that you have taken so much precious time to support me on this idea.

We're all super busy here at work making sure you all get your new speedbags/speedballs in time for Christmas that there isnt much time for extras ,like my speedbag plan. I have a meeting with the head honcho of Health and Safety in the works. It may not happen until after Christmas, but it will happen.

This will give me a little time to put the bug in some of the other higher ups ears and try to build a consensus.

Maybe once I have my sales pitch organized, I can send it to you to read over and possibly make corrections/suggestions? If not, I totally understand, you've already gone above and beyond to help me....forever grateful!!!

J
                            Absolutely. I'll help you any way I can.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...