• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Bag seams

Not really sure what to say here that has not already been said many times. But all current bags suck when it comes to their seams. Almost all. The Balazs does it right. I can't think of any other currently manufactured bag that does.

This is what I am talking about. Single-stitch seams like a football. No welting.

@ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • LouisvilleBagr
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jun 2019

This is the closest thing I could find to that on my wall.

I love the Cleto seams. I cant tell if they are inverted or just have very shallow welting? Either way, I can't even feel they are there when hitting.

Comment

• Cazbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2018

I wonder how much purpose the welting serves or if it is just cosmetic in most cases as it certainly prolongs the break in period. It would be awesome to find a leather craftsman and see what it would take make some customized speed bags...

Comment

• Cazbag
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190905_185453.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	115467
        Here's an example of a great leather seam

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190905_185516.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	115468
        But I don't think I would enjoy punching it!
        Go Bears!!

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

Right, not sure what the sewing term is, but I think it may just be called a single stitch.

There has been a lot of discussion about the welting seams on Everlast bags from the 80's and 90s, and how they used to be leather and at some point they went to plastic. I don't know about that, maybe when they moved production to China, but I have not had the pleasure of seeing one of those bags in person. The welting on all my 80s era (and I have 4 of them) are definitely leather. That being said, yes they do feel very hard when new, and maybe it feels and looks like plastic or pleather.

I was curious, so I inverted my beater 4200 to get a better look at the seams. I put my primo never-been-punched 4200 next to it. If you look close, you can see the welting material is a folded over piece of red finished leather.

@ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

and here is a zooomed in pic

@ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

Yes, it seems that when they moved the production of the pro line to a Chinese shop that the switch from leather welting to a plastic one occurred. Welting is a sewing method that when the whole production is done correctly ensures a symetrical bag, i.e. on that is not out of round. The plastic welting was obviously a cost saving measure, from a production viewpoint. What appeared to be a bag near identical to a USA produced bag required the use of either wraps or bag mitts to use for any prolonged period of time. The term painful was heard when talking about these bags. I recall hearing that it seemed to take forever and a day to beat the welting down on those bags.

Comment

• 2lbt
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Sep 2019

First post ever:

I'm not sure how my seams are internally, but I have to say my xs "yellow" bag came so lopsided I've been trying to punch it out for 9 months
                I'm going to check out the Balazs

rdshackleford, I sent you a pm on a swivel inquiry, hope you rec'd it

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  Yes, it seems that when they moved the production of the pro line to a Chinese shop that the switch from leather welting to a plastic one occurred. Welting is a sewing method that when the whole production is done correctly ensures a symetrical bag, i.e. on that is not out of round. The plastic welting was obviously a cost saving measure, from a production viewpoint. What appeared to be a bag near identical to a USA produced bag required the use of either wraps or bag mitts to use for any prolonged period of time. The term painful was heard when talking about these bags. I recall hearing that it seemed to take forever and a day to beat the welting down on those bags.
                  I can attest to that, but after a while you didn't notice it. When I was throwing 3-5,000 punches a day, everyday...I guess ya got use to it. .
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
                    ...I love the Cleto seams. I cant tell if they are inverted or just have very shallow welting? Either way, I can't even feel they are there when hitting.
                    The Cleto seams have a very thin strip of soft leather welting material. A nice compromise between strength, accuracy, and comfort.
                    @ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...