• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouisvilleBagr
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jun 2019

Drum Surface Choice

I plan on putting together a custom drum. I'm trying to decide on a material. I've seen many threads about all the different custom drums. I haven't seen one, or I missed it, comparing the feel of the of the different surfaces. I'm tossing around solid wood, epoxy resin wood or just going cheap and glue/screw high grade plywood circles together.

Has anyone hit on a variety of surfaces? Is there a noticeable difference in feel? Is there one you would choose over the other?

Hindsight I should have posted this under 'platforms', apologies.
    Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 08-30-2019, 06:19 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
    I plan on putting together a custom drum. I'm trying to decide on a material. I've seen many threads about all the different custom drums. I haven't seen one, or I missed it, comparing the feel of the of the different surfaces. I'm tossing around solid wood, epoxy resin wood or just going cheap and glue/screw high grade plywood circles together.

Has anyone hit on a variety of surfaces? Is there a noticeable difference in feel? Is there one you would choose over the other?

Hindsight I should have posted this under 'platforms', apologies.

I have hit a lot of different surfaces over my 47 years of speed bagging. My person opinion is, every bag has it's own personality and so does every board. I love a heavy Oak board that is stable but if it's shaky, no so much. Deeper thick wood has a different rebound tone than a hard laminated board. The older style steel housing, steel ball in the swivel made a lot of swivel noise which dominated the auditory experience. With the plastic ball hooks, Deville and now the ARC swivel, the swivel noise is almost a non issue and the true natural of the board comes out.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

I have hit a lot of different surfaces over my 47 years of speed bagging. My person opinion is, every bag has it's own personality and so does every board. I love a heavy Oak board that is stable but if it's shaky, no so much. Deeper thick wood has a different rebound tone than a hard laminated board. The older style steel housing, steel ball in the swivel made a lot of swivel noise which dominated the auditory experience. With the plastic ball hooks, Deville and now the ARC swivel, the swivel noise is almost a non issue and the true natural of the board comes out.
      Thank you for the insight. My plan is to find some different drums around Louisville and test drive them, if possible. Believe it or not, most boxing gyms in the area have only one flimsy 24 in platform. I did finally find a gym downtown with two custom 30 x 3 solid wood drums. The gentleman on the phone mentioned a company out of New York. He seemed to think they supplied most of the high end custom 'gym' quality drums. I have an appointment to stop by and give it a go on Tuesday. I'll be sure to make a note of the supplier.
      Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 08-31-2019, 04:33 AM.

Comment

• Zaz
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2018

When i changed the disk on my platform the new disk felt a bit more slippery, but not by much. I adapted quickly. I also think that the thickness and weight of the board is more important than the surface. The guy who made the disk on my platform suggested oak or maple because it was the hardest and heaviest kind of wood he had available. If the disk was made of pine or other softer wood, it would be far less heavy and more shaky.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jun 2019

Thanks Zaz, I look forward to testing out a big solid wood drum. From the few inquiries I've made they seem pricey. I'm ok with that to an extent. When I see some of these folks hitting in homemade sandwiched plywood drums, they seem pretty darn solid. If the difference in performance is negligible, it will be difficult not to go that route.

Comment

• RockSteadyBoxer
            • Nov 2018

I had a woodworker make this 2.75" thick drum out of three pieces of Baltic Birch plywood. It is plenty heavy and decently dense. I am far from skilled on the bag, but I really like it. A HUGE improvement over the MDF board that came with my platform. I think it was $100 to have it made.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jun 2019

2.75 thick and how many inches round? That price is considerably lower than the quotes I've been given. It looks great.

As far as a solid mount, I'm exploring commissioning a mining outfit to drive some pylons through the basement floor down to bedrock....too much?
              Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 09-01-2019, 04:35 AM.

Comment

• RockSteadyBoxer
                • Nov 2018

24" diameter. Not sure how much more it would have been to get it 30", if it was able to be cut out of the same pieces of wood, I would guess the cost differential to not be very great.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

I had considered this as a drum before I commissioned my custom epoxy drum. The price is excellent.

https://<a href="https://www.meatpro...-bl30.html</a>
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jun 2019

This morning I took the old Everlast platform that came with 4200 and sandwiched it to the top of my standard Everlast. I only hit the little bags over here, but a noticeable improvement in stability and rebound.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                      I had considered this as a drum before I commissioned my custom epoxy drum. The price is excellent.

http://<a href="https://www.meatproc...-bl30.html</a>
                      I couldn't get the link to work. Is that butcher block?

after having more time to hit on the newly reinforced Everlast drum, I am extremely impressed. Even with the flimsy bottom of the line mounting brackets, it went from shaky to very solid. Score a couple points for the cheap route.
                      Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 09-01-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• BagBoy
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by RockSteadyBoxer View Post
                        I had a woodworker make this 2.75" thick drum out of three pieces of Baltic Birch plywood. It is plenty heavy and decently dense. I am far from skilled on the bag, but I really like it. A HUGE improvement over the MDF board that came with my platform. I think it was $100 to have it made.
                        RockSteadyBoxer It must be the angle of the shot but that beautiful drum looks like it's five inches thick. Great classic bag too!
                        Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Jun 2019

That does look sweet. The more I think about it and after the way a I see how much better this newly reinforced board performs, I'm leaning towards the cheap 'sandwich pieces together' route. Down side, It wont win any beauty contests. Upside, I can do it myself cheap and it will be rock solid whenever I score a 4205 to hang on it.
                          Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 09-02-2019, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• m.breen
                            • Jan 2017

I've been happy with my home made granite drum. Maintenance free 4 season use.

Comment

• Zaz
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2018

Nice!!!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...